Sign in to follow this  

To the terrain modders out there, how about an Italian / southern Europe terrain for WW2 mods? :biggrin:

Isn't it already part of a Mediterranean map which is already available? Just thinking out loud! ;-)

• Like 1

this "basic" region, but extending at minimum 500 miles further west, north and east. Some parts of Tunisia, Libya, etc would still be required, to say nothing of the needed airfields on Corsica and Sardinia (and southern France, northern Italy, southern Germany -ignoring Switzerland- and the Balkan states.

I don't actually see it happening, unfortunately. What with most of the Axis (and many Allied) aircraft no longer available to the General End User ™. And the general malaise in major modding, with referenced to a project of this size.

To say nothing of all the work involved in starting (especially FINDING) a new DEM, and building the world zone from scratch.

tunisia PlanningMap3.jpg

• Like 1

Once upon a time, when TK released the first TerrainEditor, he included the hfd file of an Adria terrain, called Italy_Yugoslavia.

And so it looks:

post-3395-0-04902400-1480869827_thumb.jpg

Would be enough for a NATO vs Yugo 1999 campaign, i think.

• Like 4

Building a new terrain is major work, even for the experts. Then, you still have all the targeting to do. Then, it would be nice to make a campaign for it. Then, as Wrench mentioned, there may be some planes not available.

I think time might be better spent on improving and/or re-tasking some of the existing terrains. As an example, the present WW2 Euro terrain could be edited to make a Battle of France terrain.  I started doing that but sorting out all the target areas / locations is a lot of work and I lost interest in a hurry.

Another idea, make a Battle of the Bulge terrain using the GermanyCE terrain. Some locations are very near the edge and not usable and it would require some new towns made using building objects, not Tod's, but I think it would make a fun little terrain for a mini campaign, having target areas only in the area of interest. I started this project just recently but haven't been able to get Stary's Hard Winter terrain tiles / tods to show up in the Target Area Editor. The tiles are jpg so that may be the problem but it does demonstrate the numerous potential issues with even a simple terrain project.

It's getting harder and harder to even create new places to fly.  As Wrench pointed out, even finding the .DEM files for the Terrain Editor to read is getting to be a chore.  Then you have to contend with the Terrain Editor itself, which is hardly the easiest thing in the world to do.  Target population takes forever in order to make a halfway decent place to fly.

I just recently got my Alienware back from Dell and they replaced the mainboard and reinstalled my OS.  I'm actually contemplating not reinstalling SF2 at all and focusing on DCS.  Even with its limitations, it has the advantage of still being supported.

CB

Once upon a time, when TK released the first TerrainEditor, he included the hfd file of an Adria terrain, called Italy_Yugoslavia.

And so it looks:

attachicon.gifItalien.jpg

Would be enough for a NATO vs Yugo 1999 campaign, i think.

Just for historical purposes, would it be possible to upload that very same .hfd (maybe plus the old unuseful TerrainEditor) here at CombatACE?

both versions of the TE are in the downloads section ... Tool/Utilities or something like that

• Like 1