About This File
This mission pack follows the Operational Conversion Unit (OCU) training undertaken by Pilot Officer Ian Black during 1985/86, the last RAF pilot to qualify on the English Electric Lightning, as documented in his excellent book The Last of the Lightnings (ISBN-10: 075093073X; ISBN-13: 978-0750930734).
The missions in this pack are specifically designed to be used with Thirdwire’s Strike Fighters 2 Europe: Expansion Pack 2 (SF2E:Exp2), which introduced all Lightning types to the game. Where possible, stock objects and aircraft are used. Where necessary new aircraft, skins, weapons, and loadouts have been defined and are included in the pack.
The missions in this pack form a syllabus for an OCU course, similar to that undertaken by Ian Black at RAF Binbrook, which is broken down into the following phases:
- Basic aircraft handling.
- Basic navigation.
- Basic radar operation.
- Advanced radar operation.
- Radar assisted interceptions, with a varying degree of difficulty based on the angle-off of an approaching enemy. Includes high and low altitude, high and low speed, and combinations of these.
- Air-to-air refuelling (AAR), using radar to acquire the ‘tanker’.
- Air combat manoeuvres (ACM) against solo and multiple bogeys, using training rounds to record ‘kills’.
- Air gunnery school, using live weapons against drone targets.
- Ground gunnery school, using live weapons against static ground targets.
- Formation flying, culminating in a diamond-9 flypast to celebration OCU graduation.
Acknowledgements, Disclaimer and Terms
Thank you to all those modders that have provided the prerequisites I have used in my mission packs. If there are any problems with these missions and my own modifications, then please contact me directly, not the authors of the prerequisites. Note that some models used by this pack may have different terms and conditions (consult the accompanying documentation for details).
Released under Fair-Use terms, as defined at CombatAce. Visit http://combatace.com...ng/#entry545949
The contents of this mission pack are:
- Comprehensive installation notes, instructional notes, and mission briefings documentation
- 30 scripted single missions
- New Targets definitions
- New Types definitions
- RAF pilot skins
- New Hunter9 target drone aircraft
- New LTF Lightning skin
- Airfield lights definitions
- Airfield QRA shed definitions
- New training missile definitions
- New Lightning F.6 and F-4M_75 loadout definitions
- New formation definitions
- Lightning F.6 FM update
- Buccaneer S2 FM update - to add drogue lights
Download this pack to a neutral location on your local machine, extract the files, and then consult the detailed 'Guide' document for installation instructions.
comrpnt (September 2012).
What's New in Version 1.0 See changelog
No changelog available for this version.