Sign in to follow this  
Stary

My first modelling attempt

HI!

I just started this today. I'm making this in the purpose of trying things out regarding SFP1 modelling. Dont know if anyone makes cockpit for Viggen so i began this. Donk know how it gonna go (i have a very limited spare time recently) but there are many many great planes deserving own cockpits.

I don't know anything about pit building, i'm just educated in 3D modelling -so nothing i can promise

A very rude WIP:

Thank you wpnssgt! It's just 2 hours work. I'm curious how its gonna end -i intend to slowly (limited time) do the 3D work, but avionics, nodes, ini etc will be a "guess-and-suffer" thing :alcoholic:

If possible, could you take some notes for others along the way? Kesslbrut tried to help me out a year or so ago, but I was wayyyy behind the power curve for making cockpits :)

keep working on it!! you're doing a outstanding job!! looking forward to putting it in my viggen. thanks.

dwcace: I was thinking about doing some comments about pit building both for myself and others, but it's gonna be after doing some more 3D work next weekend

76.IAP-Blackbird: I'm a bit confused about this picture. I have it b&w in one of my books, but its completely different from pictures i found on the net, and use as reference -completely different layout, no MFD,s and so on... Maybe it's an upgraded avionics version? I'm not an expert, all i know is from books and www. But site from which i have the pictures (www.aircraftresourcecenter.com) says it's Viggen pit. Gonna stick to those -it's for learning things mainly

I thoughts thats the JA-37D digital Viggen cockpit which also gave it AIM-120 capability. Shame the newly upgraded jets were scrapped almost immediately.

Good luck, would be wonderfull !!!

Thanks on behalf of all Viggen lovers ....

Aju,

Derk :victory:

Kazamashin you're right -i did some search and rgr that. I work on photos of early Draken -based analog layout. Anyone has gunsite frame photos?

Don't look at the framing -it's waay unfinished:

Edit:

Different angle

Edited by CA_Stary

I've finally switched from crappy IntelliCAD Sigma to Max9. Results positive: added some handdrawn main (2048x2048) texture on it and finished RGS-2 gunsight from photos...

And first ingame shot - :crazy: Radar and RWR are working:

Very nice! Love the texture. :good:

Here's a part taken from main panel front texture. If someone could verify the text (which i assume is in swedish) or has a good photo of this it would be great -i don't speak swedish at all

Looking good so far...i would probably give the radar display more polys but i can understand you wanting to optimize performance. This pit deserves a better Viggen lod file..hope Swede reconsiders :P

Looking forward to the Draken pit too.

I reworked the radar and HSI (finally working) with a lot more polys. Looking nice now

Damn fine work you got going.

Outstanding! Keep up the great work :smile:

I'll tell you -cockpit creation is a pain! I added waypoint bearing arrow into it, added to cockpit.ini -and -buahaha my RWR and part of pit (not assigned to anything) started rotating in air otside of canopy. Guess it's hierarchy error i must check

WOW! :clapping::clapping:

The radar really looks great with those "extra polys"!

Thanks a lot and good luck! :wink:

Bye!

Yeah it was worth remodelling from scrath. I started playing with needle gauges -first is a clock, working. This is some breakthrough for me-a-cockpit-builder-noob. Needles are now a placeholder until i model and skin them accurately (oryginally these are white-orange ones), clock texture is handdrawn. Yellow ones look cool at night with green nightlight

Finally i decided to close my pit -build side panels, floor and temporary, misplaced and unoptimized canopy frame. I cracked the whole "MovementType=LIGHT" gauges thing, so i added wheels indicators. I know these are wrongly placed, but are working for now. Also lever works. Hud glass is crappy, but it's an alfa-channeled texture trial. Altitude indicator (in kilometers) works, but needs rescaling. Ball still messed up. I need to spend more time on textures. I've tried editing ortogonal photos but it's unpleasant effect. Gonna render them in max using arrays.

I NEED HELP! Anyone has an idea what those three green bastards on left side are for? They ain't wheels indicators i guess? Also HUVUDVARNING lights? As i wrote before i dont know swedish at all. Tried to find info on the web, with no luck. Perheaps someone of you has Viggen's pit layout in english -that would be a great help!

I NEED HELP! Anyone has an idea what those three green bastards on left side are for? They ain't wheels indicators i guess? Also HUVUDVARNING lights? As i wrote before i dont know swedish at all. Tried to find info on the web, with no luck. Perheaps someone of you has Viggen's pit layout in english -that would be a great help!

Great job on the pit! I know how much work it is myself.

Huvudvarning means "master caution" I think. The other text looks almost right, some corrections in bold:

"Ställ gasratten i läge MS"

"Fäll via behov av yttre last"

"Landa Snarast"

"Om start ej kan fullföljas"

At least this is what I think it should say.

Keep up the good work!

Gux thank you for your corrections! I'll aply them in spare time. Your Gripen and pit looks outstanding btw!

Saganuay82 -i'll play with the translator, it's very usefull not only for sim:-)

Do not expect any news on this project in a week or so -lot of other things to do in my schedule