starting to get a hang of this skinning, but still cant figure out how to draw the panel lines without looking sloppy :dntknw:

96796187xn7.jpg

Looks good! Been waiting to see a Vautour for this series.

With regard to the panel lines, I usually do pretty well when making the panel lines as a highly transparent Hard Light or Multiply layer (I use GIMP 2). Generally to make them show up they only have to be around 15-30% opacity for a bare metal skin, and slightly stronger for a high contrast camouflage scheme. My advice would be to make the lines transparent enough that you can only just begin to see them, except in the case of panels that have really big, loose seams, which should be about 40-50% opaque. Another technique I find useful for panel lines is to make the panel line layer twice as large as the actual skin while you're making it, and then scale it down to the size of the skin once it's done (with a good resizing algorithm this will ensure the lines will be very fine and smooth).

Anyway, that's just my $0.02

These are very good tips, saint aj!

Veltro take a look at the tutorials on http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/, they're made for Photoshop, PSP and Gimp. You will find a lot of great info about making your skins look better.

Skinning is very hard and time consuming, but very rewarding indeed

Make sure you use work paths, and then stroke them with your paint brushes. It's good to have two separate work paths, one for lines and then rivets. Makes it a lot easier to work with.

Hey Ed, is the whole model mapped onto those UV bitmaps?

Hey Ed, is the whole model mapped onto those UV bitmaps?

yes

Cool, one thing I see on your maps that may help; on bitmaps 2 and 4, there is a lot of empty white space. You could try scaling up the UV co-ordinates in the Unwrap UVW modifier to fill up that white space. This would allow for greater amounts of detail to be painted on the meshes that are mapped there, in this case they look like the wings, elevators, tail and other sundry smaller parts. A handy rule of thumb is to try to minimise the amount of spare space left on UVW bitmaps. Looking good though mate, keep it going :good:

Cool, one thing I see on your maps that may help; on bitmaps 2 and 4, there is a lot of empty white space. You could try scaling up the UV co-ordinates in the Unwrap UVW modifier to fill up that white space. This would allow for greater amounts of detail to be painted on the meshes that are mapped there, in this case they look like the wings, elevators, tail and other sundry smaller parts. A handy rule of thumb is to try to minimise the amount of spare space left on UVW bitmaps. Looking good though mate, keep it going :good:

rgr going back to work on those................sory Guys

You UV mapping technique is good though mate, I think you got it sorted. Chat soon dude.

You UV mapping technique is good though mate, I think you got it sorted. Chat soon dude.

I finaly found the peice of the puzzle that I have been missing.....Its called " Attach" :biggrin:

this should help with the mapping

Very nice but check you PMs please Veltro!

Edited by Signum

I'm looking foward to this one - keep up the good work Veltro2k.

VAUTOUR N MAP

NEEDS PANEL LINES AND SKIN

Hey Jim... let me know what you think

vautourN.rar

Edited by Veltro2k

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooo nurse!

Damn!!!!!!! I love that

That UV map is looking great mate!

That UV map is looking great mate!

I have a great teacher :clapping:

Wow. Looks great!