Sign in to follow this  
Jimbib

Iran's latest....

Can someone post the link to those wonderful models?? The author really did a good job!!

Well... it does/will have an indigenous PGM capability, glass cockpit, FBW and locally developed Avionics systems and uses composites in it's construction extensively... just going by the information I've been given. But bear in mind that a good portion of this project was to establish if they could produce a modern(ish) aircraft of indigeonus(ish) design using modern design and construction methods and in that respect, the Sa'eqeh and Azarakhsh projects have succeeded. I'm keen to see the results from the IAMI Shafaq program:

Shafaq-1.jpg

Especially if this model is eventually produced...

shafagh52kt.jpg

That looks very similar to the Mig Light Fighter project that's supposed to compete with the JSF... :blink:

MiG-LFI-01.jpg

http://www.totalairdominance.50megs.com/Fighters/MiG-LFI.htm

Edited by TX3RN0BILL

Even funnier, after the Sha´s coup d´etat (spell??) the Iranian F-16 order was aborted, but the planes were already built and ready to fly..SOO...they were sold to Venezuela, Iran´s current best friend in the americas

Best regards

Prowler

Nope.

The IIAF under the Shah had ordered 160 F-16A's.

Then the Shah was overthrown and no F-16A was ever delivered to Iran.

Instead 75 of the planes destined for Iran were delivered to Israel, which in the end made it possible to do

the famous Osirak strike due to the fact that they got their F-16's two years earlier than planed.

I'm not sure why they put twin outward-canted tails on this F-5, but I know why it was done on the F/A-18--high AOA yaw control.

The LERXs on the Hornet increased lift and agility, but the resulting vortices would impact the tail at high AOA and nullify its control. By canting them outward, they were brought outside the path of the vortices and regained yaw stability.

This F-5 has no real LERXs that I can see. Also, being so small it doesn't need twin tails, a single tail would suffice.

I'd say it has more to do with the visual impact than anything else. It works, doesn't mess it up, and LOOKS like they did something major to it.

One major point to note, though...it's all in English. :biggrin:

An old picture, but interesting nonetheless...

Apbat.jpg

Edited by JimmyBib

Yeah thay call them Northrop F-5 Tigers

If you ask me it looks like a twin engined F-20
Edited by MAKO69

The F-20 was originally designated the F-5G. It was envisioned as an evolved version of the F-5E (which were delivered to Iran), what could take advantage of much of the same production tooling. When no customer proved interested in buying an upgraded Tiger, Northrop made the marketing decision to relabel the airplane as the F-20.

I took that as a sarcastic remark myself :biggrin:

Note that this seems to be one of the old original F-5's, hence it still having the IIAF marking, as opposed to IRIAF.

Nope.

The IIAF under the Shah had ordered 160 F-16A's.

Then the Shah was overthrown and no F-16A was ever delivered to Iran.

Instead 75 of the planes destined for Iran were delivered to Israel, which in the end made it possible to do

the famous Osirak strike due to the fact that they got their F-16's two years earlier than planed.

but wasn't the Iranians Falcons delivered to venezuela? :blink:

Nope, most if not all went to Israël, the Iranian Revolution was in 1979 and I think that at the time a lot of tooling and spare parts were either in Iran or underway and some planes were already in the region, Israël first F-16 were oficially delivered around 1980/81 IIRC and Venezuela only acquired theirs later in 1984/85, I think they were one of the target market for the F-20 or the re-engined F-16 which delayed things.

We could simply go to F-16.net to have the definitive answer I guess.