I want to modify a F-4 so it looks like a Singleseater Plane.

Is it possible to replace the back Part of the Canopy Part so its not transparent?

Unfortunately you won't be able to paint the rear canopy without affecting the front canopy. So if you extracted the CANOPYGLASS.tga texture file and made it opaque, the front canopy would be non-transparent also. You would require the model's canopies to be mapped to different texture maps in order to achieve your desired results.

So if i want to map the Canopies to different tga´s i must change it on the orginal model?!

To use a tga with a transparent and a not transparent Half don´t work?

Yep, you're right, you would have to have the original max file in order to change the mapping of the canopies. I don't think a "split" tga is the case either as it is such a small file that it would be practically impossible to have two different meshes mapped onto it.

Guest Bounder
I want to modify a F-4 so it looks like a Singleseater Plane.

Is it possible to replace the back Part of the Canopy Part so its not transparent?

are you making the F-110 Spector that would be a cool addition

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheet...eet.asp?id=2320

Edited by Bounder

Use a decal painted to match the fuselage.

The hard part will be determining WHERE it's located. You might want to use a hex editor, and look inside the lod to try and locate the mesh name. Search for 'canopy'

Wrench

kevin stein

Well the initial single seat Phantom II had a cockpit and canopy similar to that of the Demon.

Mostly it´s only a just for fun WIP.

Something like the Mitsubishi F-1 Single-Seat Fighter and the T-2 Double-Seat Trainer.

Thanks guys for the tips and comments.

Wrenchs idea works very well.

The only thing is: the Decal looks really glosy and somethimes it looks still transparent...

What i have so far:

img00003-1.jpg

When you are finished with this... pls release it! Looks cool. Can you cover those small windows behind the pilot too?!

The glossyness would be due to material settings in max. You can change glossyness for the overall skin in the texture.ini, but it won't affect the glass. But considering making it look any better would mean a whole new F-4 model, it looks convincing enough. Ask fubar or typhoid about performance for the F-4A single seater, see if someone will make a skin and release it. (or just release it and let someone else do all that :tongue: )

You can also attach a "weapon" or zero strength jammer of suitable shape and size to fill in under the canopy.

For example, to Pasko's Su-11, I attach four Tornado 1500gal tanks as zero strength jammers to make a fuselage spine for a rough MiG E-152M...

img00040.jpg

Here the forward "tank" pushes into the pilot's head, so I had to paint the tank nose black. The result is not visible except very closeup cameo screenshots like this. Interestingly, I get the feeling of a "spitfire" canopy look in this closeup cameo here.

img00038.jpg

You can also attach a "weapon" or zero strength jammer of suitable shape and size to fill in under the canopy.

For example, to Pasko's Su-11, I attach four Tornado 1500gal tanks as zero strength jammers to make a fuselage spine for a rough MiG E-152M...

img00040.jpg

Here the forward "tank" pushes into the pilot's head, so I had to paint the tank nose black. The result is not visible except very closeup cameo screenshots like this. Interestingly, I get the feeling of a "spitfire" canopy look in this closeup cameo here.

img00038.jpg

Please tell me that you plan on posting this beast :good: whenever you think it's ready...are you ? :biggrin:

Thanks so far guys!

I think i have a Solution...

More when it´s ready... :yes:

Edited by Badfrank

Mostly it´s only a just for fun WIP.

Something like the Mitsubishi F-1 Single-Seat Fighter and the T-2 Double-Seat Trainer.

Funny you should mention that.

Atreides::

lease tell me that you plan on posting this beast whenever you think it's ready...are you ?

Wow, I dunno. Its simple to do at home. I can give the coordinates of the Tornado tank-spine and the single large drop tank (Tank370_F4). MiG used one large tank while Sukhoi preferred two small tanks.

I'd have to ask Pasko for a real releace. FM is not really there but would be fascinating to develop. I have not really got to this aircraft yet beyond testing basic ideas, and am still just starting out with MiG-9 FM.

img00010.jpg

That thing looks wild!

I like it!

hehe i just was joking, but i want one of these XDD

good work :)

i think is better rename to AF-4 Sky Phantom Hawk

\o\

Edited by Silverbolt

img00010.jpg

It looks like it has a tumor.....someone call a surgeon.... :biggrin::blink::biggrin:

You can change the height, and lower it down, you can also adjust the 'angle' as to where it sits. I'd fiddle with the heights and angles, and try to get it 'hidden' in the fuselage as much as possible.

(did something like this 2 years ago to try to make an A-36 Apache, -this is before Wolf rereleased his pack, with A mustang in it- using the Scooter hump. Buried it in the nose the P-51B, flipped it upside down, angled it down to the rear...it's all very doable, just takes time to dial it in)

As for it not showing up, is it added as a "SystemName=" Don't forget that HAS to be there.

Wrench

kevin stein