Sign in to follow this  
Brainless

Brainless Question No.10

As you guys will know I’ve often said what great looking and working cockpits you modders give us to play with…O.K. fly but I was just wondering exactly how long does it take to build an aircraft from scratch?

I’d love to know especially as I have no technical ability in this respect whatsoever.

Wait, wait, I know that one !

Two weeks... right ?

:haha::rofl::biggrin:

To Brainless: I join to your question :good:

I make some serial nums for czechoslovak Mig-21s and it tooks me some hours... :haha: Well, my first work in photoshop... And decals are not 3D models :no:

Edited by kukulino

...but I was just wondering exactly how long does it take to build an aircraft from scratch?

Until it looks and feels right. I've got a bud (not much of a bud since he won't make me any planes for this, no matter how many rounds I buy... pr**k :biggrin:) who would probably take a few days to build the model from scratch since he uses 3dsm on a daily basis as part of his job. But then again, most people don't have 8+ hours a day to flesh out a model... ...and he's still got a 3d model of a crater he's been working on since August that he "just can't get right".

I´ve never counted the hours (and i will never do so, otherwise i guess i´ll stop modeling ASAP! :biggrin: ), but in general with a few hours a day an aircraft takes me about a month, belongs to the difficult level of the shape. The cockpit about two more, also depending on how many work is to do (how many gauges...).

Skinning and INI dance might take several weeks.

Real life can move things up of course. When my wife´s bored again, i´ll have to take a break. :haha:

...and he's still got a 3d model of a crater he's been working on since August that he "just can't get right".

And that is the big point. Until i´m satisfied with the stuff it can take several month more.

Of course, that´s just for me. Other Modders will definite be faster or slower. In general it depends on many facts and i believe nobody can give you an exact number of days/hours/month/years.

I can tell you right now, it's been over 2 weeks and I'm still not even done with the shape...much less any animations, textures,etc....

And don't get me started on the cockpit...

FastCargo

I can tell you right now, it's been over 2 weeks and I'm still not even done with the shape...much less any animations, textures,etc....

And don't get me started on the cockpit...

FastCargo

<clicks heels 3 times and chants>

There's no plane like BONE,

There's no plane like BONE,

There's no plane like BONE.

Hmm...looks like somebody else was watching "Tin Man" this weekend... :ok:

Wrench

kevin stein

From what I've gathered from our model-making gurus, if you're under the impression that you're brainless now, wait until you're halfway through the model creation process. By that time, you'll be able to count all your remaing brain cells on the digits of one hand.

From what I've gathered from our model-making gurus, if you're under the impression that you're brainless now, wait until you're halfway through the model creation process. By that time, you'll be able to count all your remaing brain cells on the digits of one hand.

Hmm....seems that this is way past my capabilities even with my brain in. Guess I'll have to be content with my feeble mission building! :biggrin: