Sign in to follow this  
JKstar

Shot down by Abrams MBT

The Abrams is able to shoot down a limited-maneuvering air target with an MPAT round.

Edited by Talos

Yep.

Okay, I tryed another step : add to RWR, and chaffs to T-72

I dont know, but only sure it is works because I don't see like a cockpit the RWR, and maybe take a mistake when add a chaffs/flares , or the game engine (dll file) dont let this use....... :dntknw:

vulkan

Edited by vulkan

I was shot down the other night in an A-4e by two rpg's from Vietnamese Regular infantry that I changed from Ground targeting to Air_And_Ground. Pulling out very, very low over some troops I was stafing, I heard a hit and saw fire in my mirrors, and a second later I took another hit and went into a fatal left spin, so I know they blew my left wing off. Sure enough, when I looked at the log, it said I had been hit by two rpg's and shot down. Don't know if it could happen in real life, but it can happen in the sim if you change the infantry targeting to air_and_ground. You also have to be very, very low in order for them to hit you with their small arms, which I've also had happen. Usually I keep a respectable distance above their tiny little heads, but when I forget, I sometimes get whacked.

Heck

You all are going to be in for some very big surprises, when the DS mod finally gets finished.....

Also, sounds like somebody been messing around with their gundata ini...

1) I'd also reccomend having a look into you Abrams data ini...there's something real wrong in there...considering there is NO such weapon in ANY of the weapons paks gundata inis.

2) Western tank guns do NOT use the green tracer tga; again, somebody's playing games...

3) I know for a fact, the M-1 data ini dosen't have Air_and_Ground defined for the main gun. In face, NONE of the AFVs do...again...somebodie's messing with things

Wrench

kevin stein

I didn't modify anything in the M1A1_data.ini, because I don't know how...

"

[WeaponSystem]

TargetType=GROUND

"

in the gundata file, I replaced the original "Muzzle Vel" number with 1180, because the gun shot couldn't hit any target(the too far or too near? I can't remember) without my modification. That's the only change in the gundata.ini...

I use Tracer3.tga, I don't know what color it is, does it matter? I don't think so.

Guest Bounder
The RPG (Rocket propelled Grenade) is unguided - so hitting anything moving in the air is a fluke - especially firing it upwards where it would be forced all over the place by gravity and never go straight anyway

while I was deployed RPG accounted for 4 of the 8 shot down that year,of the 8 total 6 were RPG small arm combos. I was involved on 2 BRs (body retrivels) one was downed buy RPG 12 kia the second was by 57 rounds one broken ankle wia, no kia. Its just a big round so a good gunned with proper lead can hit. But will agree an RPG passed 200m is a piece of crap.

Edited by Bounder

Don't sweat the Abrams...new, rebuild/overhauled/upgraded/modified/improved version will be released with DS

That's the Soviet green tracer. Yes, it matters for tank guns.

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest Bounder

"that's the Soviet green tracer. Yes, it matters for tank guns."

only way you will ever see us forces using green tracer 1 they ran out of regular ammo. 2 weapons familiarization, 3 Special ops unit.

thats what wench is trying to say I think.

"

"that's the Soviet green tracer. Yes, it matters for tank guns."

only way you will ever see us forces using green tracer 1 they ran out of regular ammo. 2 weapons familiarization, 3 Special ops unit.

thats what wench is trying to say I think.

"

Thank you for explaining! :yes: I know little about ground unit...

"

[DetectSystem]

TargetType=Air_AND_GROUND

DataLink=TRUE

OpticalSight=TRUE

NightSight=TRUE

"

Do the words in red determine whether the tank could hit me? and, what is the use of "DataLink","OpticalSight" and "NightSight" in the game?

Thanks!

I read about a T-34 using its main gun to take down a Hs-129, but that made the Hs squadron mad and they came back (later I think) and destroyed a bunch of tanks.

I remember in WWIIOL (YEARS ago...I think it was release year, actually) I was in a PanzerIIIF and I shot down a French D-plane trying to strafe or bomb me with one shot from my main gun right into his engine. It was a beautiful sight, and I'm sure the pilot was MAD. :biggrin:

I've done it in OFP/ArmA a few times when a helo is either A) hovering or B) moving in a perfectly straight line with a good deflection angle. I've actually shot down far more helos with unguided RPGs there, though.

In Vietnam war the Vietnamese Air Force used MiG-21PF pairs with mixed armament. No 1 with R-3S Atoll and No.2 with UB-16 rocket pods in the intercepter role.

And in reality today, tank crews are trained to use their main gun against Helicopters. The V0 of the main gun is high enough to hit an hovering or slow moving heli at longer ranges.