Sign in to follow this  
racinglad

Install trouble

I´m trying to install Falcon 4.0 AF. But just as it nears the end of the installing process I get this messege saying this:

Error reading from file C:/Archivos de programa/Lead Pursuit/Battlefield Operations/terrdata/Korea/texture/texture.zip. Verify that the file exists and access it.

I has two options: Retry and Cancel. I´ve tried retry several times to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but have you looked for that file to see if it is indeed missing?

Are you an administrator on that PC?

(Assume you are using Win XP/Vista 32bit)

If you have full admin level, check your disk space on C:, run scan disk and defrag the drive also.

Edited by CoolHand29

Ivé tried defrag and what not but still the problem persists.

Anyone knows of a cure?

Yeah, but where should I be looking?

The game just won´t install.

I would look in the location that the error message says it searching...

C:/Archivos de programa/Lead Pursuit/Battlefield Operations/terrdata/Korea/texture/texture.zip.

Edited by malibu43

Eh ... the installer is telling you that:

C:/Archivos de programa/Lead Pursuit/Battlefield Operations/terrdata/Korea/texture/texture.zip

"texture.zip" is not a readable file on your system or has permission issues as the installer is attempting to read or unpack it. The zip file might be corrupt or you have removed the ability for a windows based installer to open zip files (compressed files). I've seen this before when file associations have been messed up either by installing other software for compressed files or security software won't allow .zip files to be installed on the computer. You can also check the properties of the installer itself by right clicking it and make sure the check box for "allowed file" or "harmful file" is unchecked.

Just some off the cuff weirdisms.

Good luck.

Eh ... the installer is telling you that:

C:/Archivos de programa/Lead Pursuit/Battlefield Operations/terrdata/Korea/texture/texture.zip

"texture.zip" is not a readable file on your system or has permission issues as the installer is attempting to read or unpack it. The zip file might be corrupt or you have removed the ability for a windows based installer to open zip files (compressed files). I've seen this before when file associations have been messed up either by installing other software for compressed files or security software won't allow .zip files to be installed on the computer. You can also check the properties of the installer itself by right clicking it and make sure the check box for "allowed file" or "harmful file" is unchecked.

Just some off the cuff weirdisms.

Good luck.

I know what you mean. I just tried to open the zip file and won´t open.

Where exactly should I right click for the properties of the installer?

If the zip file won't open that's the problem, not the properties of the installer. I'd start figuring out why the zip isn't opening, if it's just that zip file meaning it's corrupt or your software settings are fubar for windows. What kind of error does the zip file give you when you try to open it? Is this a CD or downloaded installer?

If the zip file won't open that's the problem, not the properties of the installer. I'd start figuring out why the zip isn't opening, if it's just that zip file meaning it's corrupt or your software settings are fubar for windows. What kind of error does the zip file give you when you try to open it? Is this a CD or downloaded installer?

It´s a CD...

Let me check to see what the error messege says...

It says: Cannot open C:/Archivos de programa/Lead Pursuit/Battlefield Operations/terrdata/Korea/texture/texture.zip

I´ve tried opening some .zip files already in my system as a test. A few fail to open with this messege attached:

"This archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

Now these are .zip files that I have used earlier to patch other games successfuly.

Should I uninstall WinRAR and reinstall? Or is the file itself damaged.

On the original install disk texture.zip is in the LPF4.cab cabinet file (is E:\LPF4.cab\texture.zip)

So the message says:

Cannot open C:/Archivos de programa/Lead Pursuit/Battlefield Operations/terrdata/Korea/texture/texture.zip

This is defo refering to the zip file on your actual Hard Disk because thats where the file is placed when its installed.

Are you using Windows XP? - that can handle zips without extra programs

I would be running check disk on the C drive to check bad sectors myself - although re-installing winRAR is worth a try.

Seems odd that you are having problems opeing zips in general - hope its not a windows problem

will assume "Archivos de programa" = "Program Files"

Edited by CoolHand29

If you have any anti-virus or similar software running make sure it's turned off or disabled. I had this type of problem with the original disc instal but this goes away once the patches are installed.

This might not be the answer but it's something that sprang to mind.

I´ve tried everything. Disc clean up, defrag, uninstall WinRAR, disable anti virus, disk check and still the same problem.

It´s wierd since this is the first time I´ve ever had this sort of problem.

I´m clueless as to what direction to take next.

I droped Lead Pursuit a note about the problem but so far no answer. Do they take some time to answer or should I expect no answer at all?

sounds like the .cab file keeps gettind corrupted while its being transferred to the hard drive,all I can suggest is building a new cd using a different .cab file if you know someone with a cd

Well I tried everything in the book and no success.

This sucks!

And lead Pursuit hasn´t answered with a solution either.

Worst $19.99 usd I´ve ever spent!

You either have a dodgy CD, or there is something on your PC stopping it from installing - the game runs fine on Windows XP.

Lead Pursuit seem to have shut down their website(well I havnt been able to get to it for weeks) - so I wonder if they have just pulled all AF support also.

You could try searching over at frugals to see if they can offer any advice - thats the main F4 forum

They have? I've not tried in forever to get there. If so, though, that is sad news.

Well, I just tried it at http://www.lead-pursuit.com/news.htm and it works fine. Not updated in 2 months or so, but it's working.

Typical - Just checked it from work and can get to it fine - so its just me, the gateway or AOL stopping me at home