Sign in to follow this  
Alexrey

What is a dynamic campaign anyway?

I'm always hearing the word "dynamic campaign" when it comes to combat sims. So what exactly is a dynamic campaign. Sounds interesting but thats all I know so far

My two cents.

A dynamic campaign is usually defined as having some way to "remember" the state of the conflict so that the effects of any missions you fly apply to the conflict as a whole. There is also usually some sort of "campaign AI" written that reacts to the effects of your and other missions.

For instance:

You fly a mission against an airfield and destroy a number of aircraft. If you fly a new mission over this same airfield these same aircraft would still be destroyed. That being said, if there is an effective campaign AI the "enemy" may resupply the airfield with replacement aircraft.

The other element of a dynamic campaign is that the missions you fly depend on the results of previous missions. If you succeed in a given mission you may get a different NEXT mission than if you fail a given mission.

This is all opposed to a static campaign where the campaign is made up of a series of missions that have no relationship to each other. No attempt is made to communicate the state of the conflict between missions.

My two cents.

A dynamic campaign is usually defined as having some way to "remember" the state of the conflict so that the effects of any missions you fly apply to the conflict as a whole. There is also usually some sort of "campaign AI" written that reacts to the effects of your and other missions.

For instance:

You fly a mission against an airfield and destroy a number of aircraft. If you fly a new mission over this same airfield these same aircraft would still be destroyed. That being said, if there is an effective campaign AI the "enemy" may resupply the airfield with replacement aircraft.

The other element of a dynamic campaign is that the missions you fly depend on the results of previous missions. If you succeed in a given mission you may get a different NEXT mission than if you fail a given mission.

This is all opposed to a static campaign where the campaign is made up of a series of missions that have no relationship to each other. No attempt is made to communicate the state of the conflict between missions.

Nicely explained :good:

Interesting. My response would have been that dynamic is basically the opposit of static. Bascially, in a dynamic campaign, any result will have it's own and unique (unique being defined as how many different and possible outcomes the programers of the game have programed and scripted for each mission) outcome; you're success or lack there of can determine if you win or lose the campaign, or in some cases there could be a stale mate. Where as, a static campaign is a.) where whether you win or lose a mission, it doesn't change the course of events, or b.) you can't progress any further through the campaign unless you win each mission. This is true for most console games. For example, in the Halo series for Xbox and Xbox 360, you can't reach the next mission untill you pass the one that you are currenlty working with; the final outcome will always be victory, that is if you have the patience to successfully pass each mission despite how many times you have to respawn to get there.

Edited by serverandenforcer

I think in the thirdwire series the campaigns are mostly static but partly dynamic. In that planes and weapons are decrimented, and the FLOT moves, but the target set appears to be largely static. An example is that taking out the runway has no apparent effect on later enemy sorties (granting that repairing runways in very short timelines is a practiceed art by most of our historical opponents!)

a better example would be that taking out fuel tanks, buildings, bridges, etc., does not remove them from the target set and you will be tasked to hit them again, and again, and again......

I think in the thirdwire series the campaigns are mostly static but partly dynamic. In that planes and weapons are decrimented, and the FLOT moves, but the target set appears to be largely static. An example is that taking out the runway has no apparent effect on later enemy sorties (granting that repairing runways in very short timelines is a practiceed art by most of our historical opponents!)

a better example would be that taking out fuel tanks, buildings, bridges, etc., does not remove them from the target set and you will be tasked to hit them again, and again, and again......

Stupid question...are SAM radars repaired, too? Because I had the impression that once they have been destroyed during a campaign mission they won't be present in future missions.

Are you sure of this?

I have much memories of fuel tanks or hangars destroyed in missions, and appearing destroyed during next missions.

It may be true for the runway, but I'm not that sure for other targets.

Are you sure of this?

I have much memories of fuel tanks or hangars destroyed in missions, and appearing destroyed during next missions.

It may be true for the runway, but I'm not that sure for other targets.

not sure at all, but my impression is that many targets that I successfully hit showed back up for another round.

Many dynamic campaigns also have built-in repair routines so that if you take long enough to revisit a target it will be fixed.

The best way to know if you have a sim with a dynamic campaign vs a static one is to start over with the same plane/base and see what happens. Do you get the same mission every time, like LOMAC or Longbow? It's static. Do you get a different target/set of circumstances, like F4, RB3D, Longbow 2? It's dynamic.

Many dynamic campaigns also have built-in repair routines so that if you take long enough to revisit a target it will be fixed.

The best way to know if you have a sim with a dynamic campaign vs a static one is to start over with the same plane/base and see what happens. Do you get the same mission every time, like LOMAC or Longbow? It's static. Do you get a different target/set of circumstances, like F4, RB3D, Longbow 2? It's dynamic.

In WOV, I would very often get the same bridge, over and over and over.

Well, "very often" isn't the same thing as "100%". :wink:

TK's sims are "fairly dynamic." :biggrin:

Well, "very often" isn't the same thing as "100%". :wink:

TK's sims are "fairly dynamic." :biggrin:

can't argue with that!

:biggrin: