Sign in to follow this  
Tailspin

Shake it up baby, now!

Damn! We had a 5.4 quake early this morning. Epicenter was in West Salem which is about 100 miles north of me. It was felt as far away as Chicago, St. Louis, and Louisville. Shook the house pretty good. Anybody else feel it?

News reports are now saying that the quake was felt as far away as Ontario, Canada. :blink:

News reports are now saying that the quake was felt as far away as Ontario, Canada. :blink:
wow, here in cali that would not even be noticed lol my sister lives in milwaukee i'd better call her to see if she felt it Edited by Viper6

It woke my mom up, and she arrived at the extremely logical conclusion that someone had broken in. You know how petty thieves use those bulldozers now. :D

I myself slept through it, though I had a dream about a plane crash.

it's kinda funny feeling an earthquake, we had a few in the past year here in Israel

lucky enough no one got hurt :)

wow, here in cali that would not even be noticed lol my sister lives in milwaukee i'd better call her to see if she felt it

Well we don't get many around here although the New Madrid Fault is the source of one of the bigger quakes in North American history. Geologically speaking this area of the Midwest is one huge basin, not divided by many fault lines, so when one hits it travels farther without being interrupted by mountains or other large faults. Most tremors I've experienced have been more of a vibration but a few were strong enough were you could actually feel the side to side movement.

Woke me up in Indianapolis this morning.

Were you awake at the time Tailspin? You sure it wasn't gas dude? :biggrin:

did the Wabash River flow backwards?

I lived on the Wabash for a year at Purdue......the only thing I seen flow backwards there Rowing Team

Were you awake at the time Tailspin? You sure it wasn't gas dude? :biggrin:

I was sleepin' away. First I thought it was a train switching cars, then I thought Nahhhh....its just the old lady snoring. :biggrin:

did the Wabash River flow backwards?

No but it made the water in the toilet go around clockwise. :blink:

I was on Hyperlobby and someone said they just had a quake, he sounded pretty excited. Normally 4.0's go by pretty much unnoticed here. :mellow:

Well, I've been through many quakes here in So Cal, and the Northridge quake in '94 was the biggest and worst quake I've ever been through. Lost the chimney, the brick wall to our side yard, and had fisures open up in the backyard. During the after shocks, you could literally see the ground just surge up and then back down, rippling across the area as the shock wave spanned out and away. It was the most frightening and exciting moments of my life next to the action I saw in Iraq.

I felt it in Ft Wayne, IN twice. Once in the morning when I awoke to my TV on the dresser rattling and my bed shaking, and then about 11:30am I felt about the same sized aftershock.

I lived in California for 4 years and a quake in Needles (6.0) in 1986 was one of the largest I've felt. There was another big one around 1989 that rocked L.A. that I felt pretty good too. We usually had a handful of smaller quakes every year in Cali so this morning's here in the midwest I just told my wife that it wasn't our big dog moving around the room...he was still sleeping and just woke up...it was an earthquake and I went back to sleep. :)

The wackos in central Indiana are blaming the mysterious booms (my unit's F-16s accidently breaking the sound barrier) they heard a couple nights before on making the earthquake. :rofl:

You are very much correct about the character of fault system at work in the New Madrid

seismic zone, Tailspin. Here in California we have a transverse plate boundary and the

New Madrid system was apparently an extremely ancient rift valley, a divergent plate system.

It had it's origins at the end of the Proterozoic Eon when the supercontinent Rodinia began

to rift apart. Rodinia was just one episode of 7 seperate supercontinent cycles that have occured

during Earth history.

I used to live in New Mexico and we have a rift valley system there, the Rio Grande Rift.

Whereas the Rio Grande Rift is exposed at the surface, the New Madrid system (aka the

The Reelfoot Rift) is buried under 750 million years of time and sediment accumulation!

This immense system of buried and downward warping fault blocks are probably responsible

for this recent quake and definitely caused the great New Madrid events of 1811-1812.

Edited by MrCraig41