Sorry, I should have posted an example from the series for those who haven't seen the panel in action.

post-10543-1210440707_thumb.jpg

As you can see, its all viewscreen. What I'm trying to figure out is how to arrange everything on there digitally. Or at least take suggestions. AFAIK the closest example we have to this in modern fighters is the F-35.

The movie isn't much help since they pretty much make up random crap to put on there, I don't think there's two shots of it where it shows the same display.

Thanks for the suggestions so far though.

Unfortunately I can't attest to much progress being made. The sheer amount of work that is required to develop and place everything, plus just trying to figure out what and where instruments are needed for a fictional aircraft is giving me headaches. I have started prototyping the 3D HUD. I don't have an up to date screenshot but here is one of the first test.

post-10543-1210786530_thumb.jpg

Just the first test, I totally reworked it after I figured out how to do it.

However, while testing the DirectX 9 bloom effects brought up in another thread here, I ran into a problem.

post-10543-1210786651_thumb.jpg

It only affects the YF-19 as far as I can tell. I tested the F-15C and the CF-188 and they appeared fine. Removing the d3d9.dll fixed the problem, but removed the bloom effects as well. It may just be this particular version of the .dll, I'll try some other ones.

For radar and MFDs I'll probably talk to Craig about modifying some of his great avionics from the EF-2000.

why you can look trough the cockpit bottom?! i see no hole in the underside of the YF-19

why you can look trough the cockpit bottom?! i see no hole in the underside of the YF-19

The YF-19 has LCD monitors on the cockpit floor so the pilot can see under his aircraft.

and where are the pedals for the rudder?

i think the conept from Julhelm is more realistic/better.

Edited by dast24

There are pedals, I may remodel them as I don't like how they look.

If we were going for realism then most of this aircraft wouldn't exist. I want to recreate the cockpit from the series, so I'll be experimenting and seeing what I can do.

rudder could be connected to the rotation of the stick on z axis. just like in the saitek x54

rudder could be connected to the rotation of the stick on z axis. just like in the saitek x54

There are definitely pedals, you just never see them without Isamu's feet in them, so its hard to tell what they really look like. There are a few references in the source material I was sent for Basara's VF-19. I'm just more worried about getting the instrumentation figured out.

Here is the roughest of rough ideas of what I'm thinking about doing for the panel (using hastily cut'n'pasted bits of the EF-2000 panel). Most of the stuff isn't there yet, there's just so much crap in modern jet cockpits. If I did use the EF-2000 avionics they would all be redesigned visually, but first I need to contact Craig.

post-10543-1210796454_thumb.jpg

The surface of the pedal is just a flat metal with holes in it, like those flashy racing pedals you see in a lot of tuner cars. They're connected to the seat by arms that go on the outside of the pedals. I'll try to hunt down a screenshot in the OVA, but here's a lineart that shows the top of the pedals (note that it's not the finished panel design though).

yf19cockpitforwardos2.th.gif

It's not the YF-19, but this is the panel layout and HUD design for the DYRL VF-1, which was far ahead of the original tv show's. It might help inspire you.

vf1dyrlcockpitfighterhuuk3.th.gifvf1dyrlcockpitinstrumenax0.th.gif

Oh yeah, looking awesome! This is going to be one impressive addon.

Edited by Talos

The surface of the pedal is just a flat metal with holes in it, like those flashy racing pedals you see in a lot of tuner cars. They're connected to the seat by arms that go on the outside of the pedals. I'll try to hunt down a screenshot in the OVA, but here's a lineart that shows the top of the pedals (note that it's not the finished panel design though).

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1084/yf...rwardos2.th.gif

It's not the YF-19, but this is the panel layout and HUD design for the DYRL VF-1, which was far ahead of the original tv show's. It might help inspire you.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1971/vf...terhuuk3.th.gifhttp://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4151/vf...rumenax0.th.gif

Oh yeah, looking awesome! This is going to be one impressive addon.

Hmm, I guess I wasn't far off on the pedals. I'll enlargen them a bit and drill the holes in them.

Looks like in DYRL they just made stuff up too, although it looks like engine gauge stuff may be there on the left. That pic of the HUD is pretty neat though, gave me some ideas. I'm thinking of moving the RWR to where the left MFD is now, especially since Craig's is so impressive. I don't suppose you have a color shot of the DYRL panel? Thanks.

Hmm, I guess I wasn't far off on the pedals. I'll enlargen them a bit and drill the holes in them.

Looks like in DYRL they just made stuff up too, although it looks like engine gauge stuff may be there on the left. That pic of the HUD is pretty neat though, gave me some ideas. I'm thinking of moving the RWR to where the left MFD is now, especially since Craig's is so impressive. I don't suppose you have a color shot of the DYRL panel? Thanks.

I have it on DVD, I'll get a screencap for you.

You're looking for realism in a fictional fighter ? :nono:

EDIT:- Just keep doing what you're doing Grinch she looks better by the minute. :good:

Edited by Atreides

It looks like a major part of the panel is the ability to use most of it as one big screen that could be used for IIR/EO weapons and such.

Part 2 (of 2).

And three pics that didn't fit in the archive.

vlcsnap594460mn3.th.pngvlcsnap595289zy1.th.pngvlcsnap595501fe9.th.png

DYRL_cockpit_hud_pics_2.rar

The only slight issue (if this even counts) is that we wont have the multi-target ability...then again the plane will be so good it wont matter :biggrin:

Oh how I wish I could have at least target brackets appear over enemy aircraft but unfortunately I don't know how it could be possible.

Thanks for the screens Talos. I was wondering what color schemes they uses for the displays. I went back and watched Zero too and took some screens. One thing I've noticed is that instead of stack buttons and switches in vertical rows like modern aircraft, the Valkyries tend to have them follow the border of the panel. I'll do the same here except they'll be touch screen instead of physical.

Great Grinch, ABSOLUTELY great!

The pit looks fine to me, and you don't need to add mirrors...considering the cockpit layout, there's no need for them.

In fact, Kawamori-sama didn't even bother placing them on his artworks XD

anyway, is there anything else you may need to help with the pit?

My best compliments again, you're making one of my dreams come true XD!

Cheers!

Its on hold, things are finally moving in real life for me. The FAA finally chose me for further consideration so I'll be going through the craziness of interviews, background checks, pysch evals, physicals, and so on.

any update i can not wait to fly this...... :fans: :fans: :fans:

Its on hold, things are finally moving in real life for me. The FAA finally chose me for further consideration so I'll be going through the craziness of interviews, background checks, pysch evals, physicals, and so on.

dang, you move fast!

the project is looking great,

if your having trouble with the hud and the lock on systems, you can be cheap and coppy the information from another plane, but thats all i would be able to sugest.

i hope everything works out, good luck with the FAA