Sign in to follow this  
ghostrider883

Aviation Majors respond to India's RFP for MMRCA competition

Saab offers Gripen IN to the IAF

The_independent_choice_454.JPG

Gripen IN, the next generation of Gripen

Gripen IN is based on the newly launched Gripen NG, the next generation of Gripen, an enhanced version of the well proven Net Centric Warfare Gripen multi-role fighter, which has unbeatable low acquisition, operation and support costs. Gripen IN provides freedom of choice in weapons and sensors and an unrivalled sustained sortie generation rate through high availability.

The complete Gripen IN solution consists of:

A next generation state-of-the-art and a tailored version of the Gripen NG next generation fighter, which includes increased combat range and endurance, additional weapons carriage capability and increased payload, the more powerful General Electric F414G engine and supercruise capability

The latest generation of weapons system and a fully integrated advanced sensors and weapon fusion, including an AESA radar and IRST sensor, as well as a wide range of weapons

A comprehensive Transfer of Technology (ToT) programme, ensuring access and transfer of technology to enable India to manage all aspects of the life cycle for the Gripen IN

A reliable, innovative, cost-effective and life-time logistics support solution

State-of-the-art training facilities that combine synthetic training aids and real fighters

Genuine commitment to deliver real industrial co-operation, creating indigenous capabilities in advanced defence technology areas. Saab has an unbeatable track record when it comes to fulfilling offset obligations.

IAF gets SUper Hornet proposal

The Super Hornet variant being offered to India, the F/A-18IN, is based on the F/A-18E/F model flown by the US Navy and currently being built for the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). Advanced technology - such as Raytheon’s APG-79 Active Electronically Scanned Array radar

LM offers F-16IN

The technologies include APG-80 Active Electronically Scanned Array radar, GE's F110-132A engine for powerful thrust, a large weapon inventory, advanced electronic warfare suite and fuel tanks to extend the range of the combat jet, Lockheed Martin aeronautic division's chief said.

Asked whether Lockheed would be co-developing the fifth-generation fighters with India, he said they were interested in jointly developing technologies with India. "We advocate the path of (India's) logical transition from F-16s to the F-35s, beyond the MMRCA requirements."

MiG & Dassault have not responded to the RFP.....yet.

I really hope we go in for the Gripen. SAAB may be underrated but its better than most out there. Besides it works in our climatic conditions, I dont think South Africa has any complaints.

I really hope we go in for the Gripen. SAAB may be underrated but its better than most out there. Besides it works in our climatic conditions, I dont think South Africa has any complaints.

Though Gripen's catchline is "Independent Choice", it is really dependent on other factors. Its engines are American as are its other major systems, which are sanctionable if India goes to war with Puki land t'rrow. Remember the Jalashwa fracas? not to be used againt Paki land :rolleyes: ? I don't think Saab can guarantee a 100% sanction free JAS-39C/D nor can Boeing(F-18) or LM(F-16) .

The only truly independent choices India has are the Dassault Rafale & MiG-35.

Though Gripen's catchline is "Independent Choice", it is really dependent on other factors. Its engines are American as are its other major systems, which are sanctionable if India goes to war with Puki land t'rrow. Remember the Jalashwa fracas? not to be used againt Paki land :rolleyes: ? I don't think Saab can guarantee a 100% sanction free JAS-39C/D nor can Boeing(F-18) or LM(F-16) .

Havent they started making their own indigenous engines; volvo I think, not sure. But yes that is a valid point.

Sucks being a major power doesnt it, especially when you can be bullied by even bigger ones.

Edited by Stick

Like France never stopped shipping aircraft and weapons when their customers differed politically.

Israel switched to US arms and produced its own Mirages after France cut them off.

Argentina could have done much better in the Falklands if they had access to plenty of Exocet missiles.

When you buy advanced aircraft from nations powerful enough to design and build them, they always come with strings attached... guaranteed.

Until you become advanced and developed enough to thumb your nose at everyone else because you can build your own. However when that happens you will be just as bad as everyone else. Because power is a very compelling thing.

Like France never stopped shipping aircraft and weapons when their customers differed politically.

Israel switched to US arms and produced its own Mirages after France cut them off.

Argentina could have done much better in the Falklands if they had access to plenty of Exocet missiles.

When you buy advanced aircraft from nations powerful enough to design and build them, they always come with strings attached... guaranteed.

India's experience while dealing with France(and Russia) has however been different.

India went to war in the 1965 & 1971 wars with French warplanes(Ouragan & Mystere IVA), so did Pakistan(Mirage IIIEP/RP). However no sanctions were imposed on either of the countries after the war. Pakistan later went on to become the largest Mirage operator outside France.

In the 1999 Kargil War, the Indian Mirage 2000s led the assault on the heights around Kargil. Were sanctions imposed on India after that? Besides, its an open secret that the Mirage 2000s have been assigned retaliatory nuclear strike role in the IAF.Are there any restrictive usage clauses on French & Russian machines, unlike the US ones?

Due to US sanctions on India after the 1998 nuclear tests, most of the Navy's Sea King fleet was grounded due to some issue with the its gearbox, and IIRC so was the Sea Harrier fleet. The LCA's Flight COntrol system s/w was withheld by the US, which at that time was being tested in teh US on a F-16 VISTA.

It's kinda a shame that it would take the better part of a decade to shrink something like the AL-31FP to fit the Gripen. Other than that, it would make a great addition to the IAF. The Mig-29M2 and Mig-35 would still be wise choices if only for the experience you guys have with them and the cost savings that'll be made in training and dev (when compared to a new, different aircraft type.). I have to say though, I'm sorta surprised that there weren't more LCA orders or is there some kind of two tiered Light/Multirole mix in the IAF?? ie the Mirage 2000/Mig-29 mix...?

Streak, I think the flaw about France's embargoes on Israel was that there was bad blood (Neo-colonial BS, espionage, colliding spheres of influence, etc)between the two at the time and Israel was at odds with a lot more than just one French ally/trading partner. I mean, yeah there were other factors but when you have defence contracts with five nations and one goes to war with the other 4 (or vice versa), numbers have a tendency to win out.

The truth is US foreign policy rarely makes any sense at all. We back or embargo based on the flimsiest of reasons, mostly so Congress can express their "outrage" when a country does something that they feel they shouldn't be doing. It's all so stupid.

The truth is US foreign policy rarely makes any sense at all. We back or embargo based on the flimsiest of reasons, mostly so Congress can express their "outrage" when a country does something that they feel they shouldn't be doing. It's all so stupid.

Sad but true, especially towards the critics of the foreign policy of the States (like us).

I have to say though, I'm sorta surprised that there weren't more LCA orders or is there some kind of two tiered Light/Multirole mix in the IAF?? ie the Mirage 2000/Mig-29 mix...?

Thee were reports that the LCA underperformed during flight tests by the IAF last year...something about LCA being underpowered. The IAF has placed an order for 20 LCAs. After all the MRCA competition came into being only because the LCA programme was delayed.

Looks like it may eventually die a slow and painful death like what's happening with the Arjun MBT programme.

For the Indians anything other than a regurgitated F-16 or F-18 IS the superior choice. Hopefully they go with MIG's, Dassault or the Gripen. What would be really cool is to see the Indians sporting the EF-2000...meh, wishful thinking at best..eh ?

Edited by Atreides

Isn't that part of the reason why India bought the Jaguar?

Isn't that part of the reason why India bought the Jaguar?

Exactly. Eventhough you( :haha::good: ) perfectly met India's requirments for its DPSA (Deep Penetration Strike Aircraft) to replace the EE Canberras, it was your American built engine that came in the way.

The other fighters in competition were Jaguar, Mirage F1 and Su-17/22.

Edited by ghostrider883