Sign in to follow this  

Could anyone tell me which add-on terrains are compatible with WOE. I downloaded the Falklands terrain only to find it wouldn't work (is there a fix for this as it looks promising?).

As I only have 56k dial up I don't want to waste a lot of time downloading stuff that won't work.

Thanks

Could anyone tell me which add-on terrains are compatible with WOE. I downloaded the Falklands terrain only to find it wouldn't work (is there a fix for this as it looks promising?).

As I only have 56k dial up I don't want to waste a lot of time downloading stuff that won't work.

Thanks

First of all welcome to the site! Please look in the Knowledge Base for your answers, it is broken into sub-sections so you can find the answers you need. most of the terrains are designed for certain titles and can be used in other titles only if you follow certain steps.

Welcome!

With VERY few exceptions (even those have work arounds), ALL terrains will work with ALL versions of the game. Excepting First Eagles. My "Full, All Stuff" install of WoE has 32 terrain folders. Including the 3 stock one; so, ok...29 terrains. They all work fine.

Unfortunately, some WILL require certain things, like desert terrains needing the desert terrain tiles, but there are replacements available in the DL section

Knowing which ones to D/L are going to be a problem for someone still stuck on dial-up. Hopefully, the descriptive text in the announcement, or on the page with the basic stuff will tell you. Some, again unfortunately, only have the info deeper in the readme.

You'll have to either try to d/l or ask which terrain, specifically, that you're looking at.

And most DEFINATELY .. look around in the Knowledge Base. There's a lot of questions answered there; probably some you haven't thought of yet! :wink:

Wrench

kevin stein

I have a suggestion.

It might help to have the readme file included in the download description. I don't think any of them are huge and in this case the readme clearly states that the Falklands terrain is only for Strike Fighters.

I agree it is a major pain to do a large download over dial-up only to find the add-on won't work.

Wings Over Europe came out in May of 2006 so it's probably chancy that any terrain developed before that will work in WOE. (Falklands was uploaded in March 2006).

Anyway we should not assume everyone has broadband and the luxury to download a huge file just to get to the readme.

BTW, I'd be willing to help with this type of documentation but I don't want to step on toes without permission.

Edited by kirbykern

I also would be willing to help in the documentation of downloads. :good:

It might help to have the readme file included in the download description. I don't think any of them are huge -snip-

I don't know about that...have you seen some of MY readmes???? :haha:

Only a moderator can edit the descriptions (I think/hope!); I'll just add that to the list of things to let the rest of the Staff know needs doing -- and I think it's a GREAT idea, too!!

As to the aforementioned Falklands map, I'll bet you a dollar it'll work in WoE, with the correct cat pointer. It's self contained, with it's own tile set. In fact, it's sitting in that All Objects Install of WoE I mentioned above.

But I think the base point is being missed ... with the exception of First Eagles and Wings Over Isreal, every single terrain can be made to work in every version of the game. It's just a matter of a few ini edits; and at worst, copying over an existing terrain folder to another game's install *. Easily accomplished by anyone.

*WoI being an exception, for add terrains to work, one of the origin 3: Desert, VietnamSEA or GermanyCE MUST be present in the WoI main terrain folder*

The main problems, as I see them are:

1) Folks stuck with major slow connections

2) Descriptions lacking which game it for

2a) said description needing clairifications as to what might be needed to run in other games, including Vista.

Can't do a thing about #1 -- that's a regional problem.

Two, yes that can be fixed with some judicious editing of the descriptions in the d/l section.

Two A; well see 2 above, and =once again I'll get on my High Horse about proper readmes= that can only point directly to the creator/uploader of the terrain. At this end, CombatAce really cant do anything about that.

My personal pet peeve, btw, is lack of readmes, or readmes that ain't worth s**t...

I can only repeat my offer above, with the essential statement highlighted...

You'll have to either try to d/l or ask which terrain, specifically, that you're looking at.

Somebody around here WILL have the correct answer, of that you can be certain!!

Wrench

kevin stein

gwpc: hopefuly, you didn't delete that zip....

Proof is in the picture...

WoE, FAA Dagger on the runway...

falklands_woe.jpg

The Huddata display is still turned on; left over from working on the Libya map...also gives proof of location.

Like I said, just a few simple ini edits...this is directly from my Falklands.ini (I have all 3 cat lines listed by habit)

[Terrain]

TerrainFullName=Falklands

DataFile=Falklands_data.INI

TargetFile=Falklands_targets.INI

TargetTypeFile=Falklands_types.INI

MovementFile=Falklands_movement.INI

EnvironmentFile=Falklands_ENVIRONMENTSYSTEM.INI

NationsFile=Falklands_nations.INI

BriefingText=Falklands_briefing.INI

DogfightFile=Falklands_dogfight.INI

DogfightOnly=FALSE

//CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat

CatFile=..\GermanyCE\GermanyCE.cat <--please note the GermanyCE cat pointer line

//CatFile=..\VietnamSEA\VietnamSEA.cat

All this information is in the KB, in the 'Getting 3rd Party Terrains to Work' thread. Folks just need to actually spend some time looking at the stuff in there...nothing is as hard as everyone makes it seem.

The major problem is, New Members simply aren't told to 'have a wander' through it when they sign on. I'm working on trying to change that, too.

Wrench

kevin stein

PS: just to let you all know, Kesselbrut is back on the case with the Malvinas/Falklands Mod -- it'll be a 'total conversion' type, with dozens of new objects and a fabulous terrain retiling.

Thanks for the replies.

The readme idea is a good one. Having dial-up is particularly hard when you are used to broadband. We moved from the U.K.to a little village in the mountains in Italy last year and our broadband connection was one of the "sacrifices" we made. A 40 meg d/l would have taken a few minutes in the U.K. whereas here your'e looking a two and a half hours, + it's impossible to browse the net at the same time as downloading as there simple isn't the bandwidth.

Wrench, I'm encouraged to hear that you've got 'Falklands' up and running. I tried a DIY edit on the .ini but got a CTD every time. I'll give your edit a go and let you know how I get on.

Lastly, I'm not actually a new member. My usual username is geoff, but due to the above mentioned move and consequent change of e-mail etc.etc. somehow my account got buggered and I couldn't d/l or post in the forums, so I created gwpc as a temporary username. I'm glad to say that Mike has now sorted my account problem so I'll be back with my old username after this.

Cheers, Geoff (gwpc)

Its up to the modder to make a read me and post in the downloads section of the file they submitted. The staff just doesn't have the time to make sure every file has a read me etc etc. Those are the fact. Yes it would be nice however I think its unreasonable to hold peoples feet to the fire over something that is meant.....for a game.

Well, in that case, welcome back!!

I can bet the views must be spectacular!!

Anywany, give those a go, and let me know!!

Ufortunately, Dave IS right...ultimately, it's the onus is on the modder to create a proper readme AND descriptive statement.

Wish that damn 'making a proper readme' post hadn't gotten accidently deleted...I'll just have to try and recreate it. Hopefully

Wrench

kevin stein

Thanks

welcome to the zoo!!

Thanks Wrench, I got the Falklands terrain up and running, now to find out how to add ships, carriers etc.

I appreciate the problem with readmes, so how about as an alternative making a slight modification to the download info:

File Name: Tornado

Submitter: Bill Blogs

Submitted: Aug 5th 2007, 10;20AM

Compatability:............this line could read SFP1, WOV. or if there are no compatability issues simply ALL

This system is used on several other sites I visit for other games and it saves a lot of time and confusion, and not just for us poor dial-up people.