Sign in to follow this  
76.IAP-Blackbird

New to FE

Hi, I`m a "modder" in the WOE area and just get my FE 2 days ago. This is quiet different. I had to learn 3-4 hours how to aim and shoot the bad guys down. I like the dogfights in a f-4 vs MiG but never challenged the fight in a Fokker DVII vs Sopwit Camel. great game and not so easy to handle when you are trained to aquire a target and shot it down with a Sidewinder or AMRAAM. the atmosphere is great, feels like in a movie. The small biplanes are everywhere... flying around shooting and going down in flames.. I like this game and it`s a great addition to this community!

Hands down to the modders for the WW1 stuff! :notworthy:

Welcome to castor oil hell!

Blackbird, now try Alb D.V vs Camel. And sit in D.V :biggrin:

All I need now are the better clouds for Fe and a weapon editor?! The one I use for WOE doesn`t work right in FE I can chosse bombs in the loadout but they don`t show up in the game... and I have nothing to drop

I dont think the bombs do show come to think of it - they do when you drop them though.

Ive no idea if those planes could actually mount bombs anyway.

Some planes have internal weapons bays but you should be seeing the Cooper bombs on the Camels etc.

I will use that thread, as it is open:

I'm wondering now wether I should buy FE or not. So, gentlemen, I'm all ears!

How is the game? Is it finished? Good? Etc... :yes:

I will use that thread, as it is open:

I'm wondering now wether I should buy FE or not. So, gentlemen, I'm all ears!

How is the game? Is it finished? Good? Etc... :yes:

I play with the expansion pack and the latest patch - which have fixed quite a few things and enhanced the game loads - so you even get to see the medals won etc.

The AI planes seem very good - so expect to get shot up a lot on hard level - and you can have some very nervy and close call dogfights.

Ive never played WW1 sim before - but its a good bit of fun (particularly starting in the air) - and you can get into dogfights with loads of planes - creates a great atmosphere - though you have to see it for yourself - kinda helps that everything happens in slow motion compared to the jet sims :)

Also I just stick all settings on hard - its even quite easy to see the ground targets at such a slow speed (well with a trackIR).

The spad seems to be the fastest allied plane - although it also can get into unrecoverable spins if you are not careful on the stick.

There are terrain, menu cloud mods out there etc like for the rest of the TW series.

I fly always on hard settings or other sims on real settings only difference is I have the external view enebled.. cause it`S a joy to fly around and looking at your plane...

I have to test out this sim looks very good and feels great!

Will say that with the expansion Pack I got 3 different versions of Sopwith Camel - the lowest one being only 110 BHP - thats the same power as a Ford Fiesta I had about 12 years ago :lol:

And just like that its quicker to get out and walk - you literally get out run by the bombers - especially that AEG thing.

The AEG is a nightmare - for those that do have it watch out for ones that get hit and fly lower - their front gunner will shoot up at you while you are trying to fly under the higher bombers mutual cover fire!

Best WW1 combat sim so far.

Well... RB3D, IMHO, has a better campaign engine and is quite a treat with the latest mods. OFF has impressive ground detail, shiny eye candy and with P3 will probably feature some AI. FSWW1 might look old but it has planes no one else does.

I've got all 4 installed and have no idea which one's better. :dntknw:

Thanks for you interessting point of views, gentlemen.

Whatever, I will have to wait to get some job before buying it.

Which campaigns are included? For which nations? Can one play for France? Belgium? Is there any mod for other fronts?

Ive got 4 campaigns and by default depending on which one you use you can fly for the RAF, French, Australian, US, and German AFs

Although you can just change all this to fly for whoever you like - as with the other TW sims.

In "create single mission" you can just set the plane to be one of just about any nation including Belgium.

Havnt checked about other front mods yet - but I have verdun and cambrai France maps by default.

RB3d looks old, even with the "full canvas jacket" mod (2D cockpits suck). And you need a Voodoo 3dfx card (all the glide wrappers start to mess up the things after 15 or 30 minutes).

I hate OFF because the loading times in campaign mode are too long (the campaign manager loads the CFS3 engine before each mission and when you end the mission the campaign manager closes the CFS3 engine). And the CFS3 engine is plenty of bugs. OFF is a lot of excellent work wasted in the worst engine ever.

Certanly FS-WW1 has many planes. I never saw a Taube or a Bleriot before i played with it. And you can switch between the pilot and the gunner in the two seaters. But the AI is really dumb (i think i have never been shooted down). I hope Argon manages to make a smart AI for the next release.

Don't forget about FLYING CORPS GOLD - Rowan made an excellent game and at those years it was better than RB3D.

RB3D does look a bit old, and does get flaky after sustained play, but there's no better campaign play yet, AFAIK. I've heard a little about OFF, but it doesn't seem to inspire people like RB3D (and FE) does.

What is FS-WW1? I've never heard of this one.

I suppose my take is that, ultimately, FE is a beautiful looking game with dreadful campaign play. I like to have a sense of self determination - as per RB3D - and I don't get that with FE. You gets yer campaign, and that's it.

If somebody can prove me wrong by pointing me to a campaign engine/system for FE that pisses all over that in the current FE (or enhanced RB3D), then I'd be absolutely delighted.

What FE lacks (IMHO) is the supporting bits and bobs that add atmosphere to what is otherwise simply a flight sim. I know that that's stating the bleedin' obvious, but it simply is not as rounded a game as RB3D, and, until it is, I'll continue to favour the latter over FE.

What is FS-WW1? I've never heard of this one.

Look at ArgonV threads in General WW1 sim section.

RB3D does look a bit old, and does get flaky after sustained play

Hmmm... with TIR support, random oil leaks, fuel mixture adjustments, hardcore reloads and jams, fancy Western Front Patch staring game from 1915, campaign manager, misson generator, and FCJcontrol panel allowing to increase visibility ranges for planes and buildings the way the pit looks doesn't matter :biggrin: The only problem I get is missing oil leak texture in the pit which is due to ATI and my glide converter being not exactly friends. But it works fine and is quite stable most of the time. And RB3D is a freeware now so with mods that's the best thing you can get for no expense :good:

Remember that RB2 (how I'll always think of it, RB3D was just a big patch later that added 3DFx support) had a much larger budget and team than FE has had even today.

I guarantee one programmer living in his car couldn't have made RB2!

S! all ,I have been so busy downloading and installing the wonderful campaigns, aircraft, skins, effects etc for FE ,WoE, WoV and SFP1 this is the first chance I have had since joining Combat Sim to make my first post! My hats off to all you terrific modders :notworthy: .

This thread caught my interest so I figure this is a good place for my first post. I've had RB3D since it's release and I eventually had tried every mod out there and RB3D managed to stayed on my hard drive for a very long time. But after purchasing a new rig with the Vista OS recently, RB3D just became unmanagable. Constant CTD's (real frustrating in career mode), random corrupted gfx no matter what solution's were suggested and tried. I became so frustrated that it finally gave me that "push" to download FE, and boy do I now realize what I had been missing!

I also managed to get WoE and WoV and SFP1 from a generous fellow at SimHq and I'm now hooked on TK's simulators. Not only is RB3D gone from my HD but so too is Mig Alley (replaced by the Korean War mod for SFP1). My next two purchases will be FE2 and WoI, I really miss my IAF by EA... long ago retired by XP.

Oh and least I forget I wanted to thank the guy's here who had posted the Vista work arounds for TK's games, I was luckly that all I needed to do was edit my terrains folder. I have had no problems even with terrain/tile mods except for WoE (stock terrain run's fine), that one I'm still working on, so I hope you guy's don't mind if I ask for some suggestions down the road if I can't make it work.

Thanks again!

A hearty WELCOME to CombatACE, godzilla1985. Make yourself at home and we hope you enjoy it here. :good:

If somebody can prove me wrong by pointing me to a campaign engine/system for FE that pisses all over that in the current FE (or enhanced RB3D), then I'd be absolutely delighted.

What FE lacks (IMHO) is the supporting bits and bobs that add atmosphere to what is otherwise simply a flight sim. I know that that's stating the bleedin' obvious, but it simply is not as rounded a game as RB3D, and, until it is, I'll continue to favour the latter over FE.

I tend to agree with you. I think the campaign weaknesses and being able to use the same pilot for any mission, any country sort of kills the feeling of being a single pilot enlisted in the war effort. I suppose I could create a pilot and JUST use him in a single campaign, but it doesn't have the same sense of drama or life-and-death urgency that RB3D has... or that OFF has for that matter. I'd love to see someone come up with a campaign engine/system that really pulls me in and creates a suspension of disbelief... how would it function? We should start a thread and put our heads together and do something about the situation. hmmm

Actually Red Baron (yes the original) was better in the "you are there" feeling then RB3D IMHO. I would spend hours flying that game everyday, it was like an addictive drug :crazy: . Sierra was in it's golden days then with A-10(original), Aces over the Pacific and Aces of the Deep, the immersion factor on these sims were all top notch. But if I had a choice between a game had a great "you are there" feeling but was highly unstable with my current OS and one that wasn't as great in the "you are there feeling" but was very stable with my current OS, guess which one I would take. The last five missions I flew in RB3D all ended in CTD's. And in those missions I had emerged victorious flying my Fokker E.1 against N-11's at 4 to 1 odds or greater since my only wingman was always shot down immediately. So I'm flying home, feeling pretty damn good about what I had just accompolished, expecting a medal or promotion cut scene and instead I get a CTD :angry2: ..... 5X after applying several suggested fixes :blowup:

RB1 had a great "tell a story-design a mission" menu..

I had tons of CTDs on Eindecker in upgraded RB3D, then crashed, spent several months in hospital, missed the time my Jasta was flying Halberstadt and came back to get into Alb D.I. Much less frequent CTD but oil leaks on D.I and D.II up to november 1916 were awful.

I loved playing RB1, got me hooked on flight simulators and WWI in particular. I used to write up my own mission reports after each mission. I still remember peering at the screen, waiting for a pixel to appear and turn into a few pixels, then into a plane shape. I remember going around and around and around in a dogfight with Immelmann, and making it home safe after tangling with Udet in his red-striped Eindecker. I also remember being chased home by three Alb. D III's as the sun set and stars began to appear. It was way cool for way back then.