Sign in to follow this  
Typhoid

F-16 Glider

F-16 Glider  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Can you make it in ok from 9k ft at 7 miles?

• Yes
    • Glorious Fireball

Here's a neat email for those who didn't believe that the F-16 is actually a pretty decent glider!

A very good job by the pilot, and by his number 3.

Click on the link below.

http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/SUPERGT/3384/

Edited by Typhoid

Cool - great work there in saving the jet - and lives/buildings - although he does jettison the tanks - do you think they have a predefined drop area?

Also drops it right onto the very beginning of the runway!

Falcon 4 simulates that glide experience okay judging from that - albeit with me crashing into the perimeter fence :blink:

Cool - great work there in saving the jet - and lives/buildings - although he does jettison the tanks - do you think they have a predefined drop area?

Also drops it right onto the very beginning of the runway!

Falcon 4 simulates that glide experience okay judging from that - albeit with me crashing into the perimeter fence :blink:

when the wingman tells him to punch the tanks of "now" it is probably over an open field. If he had time to look.......

looks like a cool challenge to try out in WOE too. 9k ft at 7 miles from the runway. Wonder how many can make it.......

should make this a poll to report back on!

Pilots practice engine out landings all the time in the Sim...I even got to watch one pilot do it while I was waiting for my turn in the sim. It's a must for a single engine aircraft. This guy was SH and did a perfect landing!

That's the landing profile I fly on purpose every time I put my gear down. :) Sure, it's a little hot but that's what brakes are for.

nice job of the pilot and his wingman...

i guess that if he had lost his electrical systems, he wouldn't have a chance.. ? (cause of the fly-by-wire..)

nice job of the pilot and his wingman...

i guess that if he had lost his electrical systems, he wouldn't have a chance.. ? (cause of the fly-by-wire..)

Yup, good to have the EPU fire when generators go offline when the engine shuts down. Without the EPU the jet would drop like a rock since there are no manual flight controls.

Nice landing.

You could hear the pilot was highly tensed. (heavy breathing although no apparent G on him.)

:good:

This landing was really a "job well done". Breathing was related to the situation normal imo

that was just a stress situation and for that the pilot was really cool

greetings from bavaria....this is near germany ;-)

Tomas

This landing was really a "job well done". Breathing was related to the situation normal imo

that was just a stress situation and for that the pilot was really cool

greetings from bavaria....this is near germany ;-)

Tomas

Tomas.

First of all, congatulations on the newly born daughter.

Take pride in being a father.

Second, about the landing and breathing. its just what I have said, only in other words.

Cheers.

Reminds me that my best real life landings were always simulated dead stick. Shoulda been a glider pilot I guess.

Of course, most of us are getting a straight in approach, know where the field is, and know what's going to happen in advance :)