Sign in to follow this  
Phantom160

SUU-23 with the new WOI patch

Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced problems using the SUU-23 gun pod in WOI after the new August patch. I've tried a clean install with no mods, addons, or weapons packs. Every time I pull the trigger for my gun pod the game freezes. Internal guns work fine though.

My newly patched WOI has been locking up whenever I've been firing a gunpod, too. Internal guns work fine. To make things weirder, I've got the new MF weapons pack installed.

I've tried looking through my effects folder to fix this, but I seem to be too stupid to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Ditto here. The thing freezes when I fire the Hawk T1A gun pod.

This happened to me twice yesterday and it's only by reading this that I realise that I too was firing the Suu-23 slung under an F-4. I noticed that the pod was ejecting shells something I normally swirtch off so I'll give that a go.

I've re-installed and put both patches on but without a weapons pack. I'll have a play around with my favourite Phantom at the moment - the F-4S.

POSTSCRIPT

Damn! It did it again. Not even Ctrl+Esc gets you out of it.

Help! I feel naked without my SUU-23!

Edited by Spinners

Check to make sure that your gunpod has a corresponding gun entry in the gundata.ini.

I am not having these problems, but many others are and I am trying to help figure out what is common between those people who are.

I am thinking it is a hardware/driver issue, so please list what video card and sound card you are using as well as the version of their drivers.

PS Make sure you have the latest DirectX 9, which I think was August 2008. This won't solve the problem but helps make sure everyone is testing from the same version of software.

Thanks Streakeagle.

NVIDEA 8800GT & REALTEK HD & DIRECTX 9.0c

Edit: I've just updated my DirectX.

Edit: Also updated my Video Driver (175.19).

Only one flight so far but I merrily blazed away with my SUU-23 at the convoy and had hoped to shoot down a MiG with it but overshot and got an Atoll up the corn chute. It's just not cricket!

Edited by Spinners

Updated DirectX

Windows Vista x64bit

GeForce 8800M GTX

REALTEK HD Audio

Random lockups, Ctrl+alt+delete to quit the game [gives a WOI not responding msg, also give the WOI exe as the problem], straight back into game, same plane same location etc but no lockup, very strange, cant predict when it will happen though.

Is there anyone with an ATi video card that is having the gunpod freeze problem?

Sorry, meant to say, NVidia 7900GS 512mb here, just managed to get a lockup on the 4th pull of the trigger, I've got the error log if its any use.

Realtek HD onboard sound seems to be common for the "freezers" ....

I've updated my Directx and I'm still getting freezes. For hardware I've got a NVidia GeForce Go 7400 and a Conexant HD sound card.

Third Wire has been unable to duplicate this bug (as with me).

My gut feeling is that it is video card related, but video card experiments are much harder since it might involve trying different driver sets and at the extreme trying an alternate model and/or brand of card, so let's do some tests to look for sound related issues:

Try shooting the gunpod from an external view (F5 chase view, F6, etc.) rather than from the cockpit.

Does it still freeze? Sound gets processed a little differently in the different views and a change in stability with view might be an indication that it is sound related.

Of course, the video clippling also changes... but it is still a useful symptom.

Also, after that test, try disabling hardware acceleration for sound.

Another thing to try is to set sound for simple stereo or mono rather than surround sound.

If anyone can get rid of the freezing by disabling hardware acceleratin and/or surround sound, then we have our culprit.

If no one benefits from either these, I am banking on some kind of video processing issue.

Edited by streakeagle

External view: Freeze

Cockpit View: Freeze

Another note: After shooting only the game freezes, the sounds (ie jet engine sounds still run).

I also tried internal and external views. Games locks up either way. I also tried a CAS mission with AI wingman only loading gunpods. I gave him some targets to go after and he used his gunpod and his guns worked fine. I watched him from his external view the whole time. I dont know if that helps at all though.

I'm running a 8600GTS with onboard sound. Its funny cause the game runs great other than the gunpod issue. All other weapons work as do the sounds. The problem only came about after the new patch.

Updating DirectX and updating my video card driver seems to have cured it for me.

To start off with I did not have a problem. Then it happened last night with the Suu-23 and Aden cannon pod. Also had sound continue to play while video froze. So I tested some more and had a couple of single missions go well with no problems then did one more and it locked up agin. I have nvida motherboard, cannot remember model, GTS 7900 WITH 512mb and nvida sound. I freashly installed WOI, then patched, latest only, then added MF new weapon pack.

What driver did you get Spinners? The reason I ask is because I have to go hunting to find a similar one for the 8800M GTX.

What driver did you get Spinners? The reason I ask is because I have to go hunting to find a similar one for the 8800M GTX.

I just put NVIDEA 8800GT into Google and it came up with a link to the NVIDEA website page for that video card and there was a download tab.

Same problem w/ me. Got the F-4S airborne yesterday w/ twin SUU-23's. Took a test fire on climb out and everything worked fine. Later the same flight, was trying to bounce a MiG and as soon as I pulled the trigger the world stopped, sounds kept going and had to ctrl+alt+del to get back to the desktop.

Same thing today on the first trigger squeeze.

Trying the drivers.

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE, Sigma Tel Audio