Sign in to follow this  
Luiz Carlos

How to use Matra R 530 ?

This missile is useless to me in WOI. I never managed a kill with it so, I realized that I probably not firing at right envelope.

Somebody had good results lauching it?

I have gotten one kill in 42 launches with it. The missile just sucks, like it did in real life. Yet I still carry them just in case I get that just one good hit on a non manoeuvring target.

Try approaching from the targets 5'o clock and lead the missile a bit-nor like Ive had much success...but when I have thats how!

But the Mirage is quite the plane otherwise.

hello

with humour french pilot sait that is a "fire and forget " missile

christian

Ah so- I too knew this french fighter pilot,Pierre was his name, and he happened to be getting rather intimate with with a certain lady.So he dabs a little cognac on her lips and kisses her. She approves and shrugs off her blouse.Pierre needs no further encouragement, red-blooded Gaul that he is, and tips the bottle over the flesh that interests him or would any man of ordinary taste, and pours the the contents quite liberally.

Once again the lady goads him on by dropping her skirt and any unneccesary lingerie that would obstruct our fine french fighter pilot.Pierre grabs the Martell and douses her mons verenis. Then quite unexpectedly he grabs his lighter and almost sets her nether regions afire-only our lass was quicker then he thought. She slaps him into contrition and asks him rhetorically,'ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY INSANE?'

To which our fine fighter pilot replies,'Madamemoiselle, when I go down, I go down in flames.'

Edited by Stick
  • Like 1

Awesome analogy there. Freaking 18+ though.

Edited by kct

How else does one rationalize this existence!

matra 530 was a missile designed for interception of big aircrafts and bombers.

although the israel air force used that misslie, the poor results forced them to abbandon any operational use in late 60's, substituing it with aim-9 and later with shafrir versions.

in french service, it remained in service as interceptor missile of heavy bombers until matra 530f became operational with mirage f1 c, arming mirage iii c,e, and f8 fn.

for the navy pilots the substitution of matra 530 became a relief, when the crusaders were rearmed with magic 2.as for the capacities of ther missile, in the final years of french service the pilots confessed that with the matra 530 they needed the radar to lock on or track the targets, before the launch.

Magic 2 missile's sensor was so sensitive , that aquired the target before the radar lock!!!! i think that these words are enough to describe the facts

The Luftwaffe would have wanted something like R530 in 1944.

Yeah... they would probably fit a dozen of 'em on a Me-262, fire them all in salvo and hope to hit with one.

R.530 "Yahalom" that was it - 1 x MiG-19 destroyed by a Shahak 1966.

One thing I didnt know was that the IDF used the Soviet AA-2 (R-3) from 1968 - Quite a few had been captured from Egypt air bases but no kills are recorded by them.

Useful info is that the Israelis considered it to be comparible in performance to the AIM-9B which they also used at the time - but both were considered 'Superior' to the Shafrir1 which had been used in the 6 day war.

from Mirage and Nesher Aces (Shlomo Aloni)

R.530 "Yahalom" that was it - 1 x MiG-19 destroyed by a Shahak 1966.

One thing I didnt know was that the IDF used the Soviet AA-2 (R-3) from 1968 - Quite a few had been captured from Egypt air bases but no kills are recorded by them.

Useful info is that the Israelis considered it to be comparible in performance to the AIM-9B which they also used at the time - but both were considered 'Superior' to the Shafrir1 which had been used in the 6 day war.

from Mirage and Nesher Aces (Shlomo Aloni)

If you saw the dogfights series in history channel, you have the impression they do almost always gun kills in the six days war.

I've managed several victories with them, though I agree that their performance is subpar. The trick is to fire from a good position. Goes for any missile, really.

Still, the AIM-9 wasn't really good until the -L came along. The missiles of the 1960's would often "RUN FOR THE SUNGODS!", or just refrain from locking altogether.

AIM-9B in combat worked perfectly, reliable, and was a war winner as far back as the 1950s.

The pop myth of poor performing AIM-9B in combat may be the largest Pink Elephant on The Sims forums, being as they all focus on the "popular" (lacking a better word) Vietnam War.

If you saw the dogfights series in history channel, you have the impression they do almost always gun kills in the six days war.

Every Shahak kill is listed along with these stats on the kills:

Jul 1966-Apr 1967 = 10 Cannon, 1 Yahalom

Six Day War = 47 Cannon, 0.5 Shafrir1.

Jul 1967 - Feb 1969 = 9 Cannon, 2 Shafrir1

Mar 1969 - Dec 1969 = 33 cannon, 1 Shafrir1, 1 AIM-9B, 8 Shafrir2.

1970 = 27 Cannon, 12 AIM-9B/D/E, 8 Shafrir2

was loads of cannon kills in 1973 also.

AIM-9B in combat worked perfectly, reliable, and was a war winner as far back as the 1950s.

The pop myth of poor performing AIM-9B in combat may be the largest Pink Elephant on The Sims forums, being as they all focus on the "popular" (lacking a better word) Vietnam War.

It performed as well as it could for a first generation rear aspect missile for taking down bombers, and had some success against fighters that never saw it coming as to out turn it and remove their engine as a heat source. Still useless compared to later versions though. :biggrin:

mmm, one of the points Tom Cooper notes is that the MiG-17s could not manuever well at high altitude -- well nobody can really...although its said the B-36 could out manuever F-86, but I might assume that was early F-86s. As far as radar guided AAMs like Matra, they may also have better guidance performance at high altitudes with less environmental deception I am guessing, although IR heads would also benefit from consistent always clear dry air.

I wish TK could have some altitude variable for missiles. For my campaign, I will have to configure all missiles for high altitude. I'm thinking a high altitude campaign in the late 1950s would be heavily missile oriented so I think, and so favour high speed slash and run attacks in general.