Sign in to follow this  
mppd

Removing F-4 pylons/rails

I started another round of trying to accurize the WOV F-4 again with my limited skills. If I could find a way to delete the existing intermediate pylons and AIM-9 rails, we could create a new pylon with correct extended rails, correct AIM-4D Falcon rails, and the early Navy style pylons as add-on parts. I posted a query at TW's Forum, and FastCargo pointed me at Dave's submission available here (F-100A "Rehab" of the ROCAF) where some parts were deleted by making them components in the data.ini. I took a second look at this, and if this works, it could be one of the most significant modder finds yet! We could delete any fixed part and add another that we create! Will try it tonight, but this looks like DYNAMITE to modders - it certainly deserves its own thread!! Someone deserves a medal if this works...!!

Mike D. :biggrin:

You've got a real passion for the F-4 and the era haven't you? Good luck with it and when you master the technique I'll be asking for some help!

I guess I can't help but want to make a great sim even better, but there's no way I could do a whole airframe myself. By taking what others have already done and making some tweaks/art/3D parts it just helps the immersion for me. If this works it just opens the door to anyone doing most anything to the basic airframe for any plane! Add your favorite antenna or whatever.

Sorry for the enthusiasm...! I just love this sim and this hobby. It has taken the place of scale aircraft modeling for me.

Mike

Here's the super MF RF-4C without tape lights! Man, this is just like Christmas!!

Mike

Is it possible to remove them en bloc or does it have to be one at a time?

The way Dave did it with his F-100 was one item at a time, but it seems to work great. I too removed the Kurnass bolt-on probe - so now I have an F-4E with TISEO. Just add the tail RHAW and I'll have a Rivet Haste slatted F-4E at Udorn in the fall of 1972.

I started work on new intermediate pylons. The RF-4C will need a fill-in part at the wingtips as the tape light was a block that fit into the tip.

Mike

Hey mppd,

Maybe you should write a tutorial to put into the knowledge base.

Wow, things just get better and better. Great work!

Storm

You can also look at Black's Su-27SM Flanker mod, he removed the original IRST from the Flanker with an data.ini entry. It is a different method, but it might work.

Ooooh, I've realised that we can have RF-4E's without the probe now can't we? Perfect for my what-ifs!!

RAFPhantomF323.jpg

Slatted-wing F-4S but without the intake RHAW bumps using p10ppy's 'add to subtract' method!

I made a quick A-4A. Pretty nifty the way the F-100AD team does it and it only took me one shot at it.

EDIT

Made a quick change to the paint on the tail. Need to see if I can remove the Refueling Probe base, got to wait for TK on the OUT file.

A-4A_Test.jpg

Edited by suhsjake

Hi there,

I'm unable to find the mentioned F100 here at CA. Anyone be so kind and point me towards it?

Thanks in advance

S!

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=5839

As an example, if you intend to make the left outer wing disappear:

Locate the parts you want to be invisible (by way of .OUT file or browsing thru with a hex editor) and designating them as components in the first [AircraftData] section - along with the major components such as wings/fuselage/etc. - but with a different name - such as:

Component[008]=HideLeftOuterWing

Then directly below it paste a paragraph such as this:

[HideLeftOuterWing]

ParentComponentName=LeftInnerWing

ModelNodeName=HideLeftOuterWing_ok

DestroyedNodeName=HideLeftOuterWing

DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE

HasAeroCoefficients=FALSE

Check out the F-100 file that Dave created and see how it is done. I take no credit for this - Dave mentions screen names of other individuals who helped him, but this is just fabulous.

Mike

Hey mppd,

Maybe you should write a tutorial to put into the knowledge base.

mppd, I'll vote for that. Great work.

No .INI edit needed - just use Sidewinders or 20mm.

mppd: thanks for the explanation, more work to do.

btw: fixed your great F4 tailcode system so it doesn't interfere with the 'new' patched squadronlist.ini

Lots of renaming but couldn't stand WoV without it.

S!

I made a quick A-4A. Pretty nifty the way the F-100AD team does it and it only took me one shot at it.

EDIT

Made a quick change to the paint on the tail. Need to see if I can remove the Refueling Probe base, got to wait for TK on the OUT file.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s237/su...e/A-4A_Test.jpg

Probe_Ridge :ph34r:

After almost 5 hours of work (the out file didn't have too many things actually named, or named oddly like "cylinder***. So it was go down the list one by one until you find it kinda thing...)

P-26 for Chinese Air Force

before:

china_peashooter.jpg

After:

caf_peashooter.jpg

Much closer to the historical version. Unfortuantely, you can't remove the wing-to-wing ariel wires, as they're part of the 'flying wires'. Mast is removable, but I chose to leave it. So, we'll assume the mast and wires are for the XM satelite radio! :haha:

That works like a charm!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

mppd: thanks for the explanation, more work to do.

btw: fixed your great F4 tailcode system so it doesn't interfere with the 'new' patched squadronlist.ini

Lots of renaming but couldn't stand WoV without it.

S!

Why not repost it so everyone can use it. I had started fixing a couple of things that I found wrong, but got sidetracked with this 3D stuff that I'm still learning. No use restrictions on anything I make!

Mike

I think bells are a ringing in Wrench's ears.

A-4AVA-72.jpg

VA-72 Med. Tour 1956

PS

Might be a good time to ask your permission to include the skin the mod, so can I?.