Carriers moving that fast would make for spectacular wake surfing. Remember the scene from Apocalypse Now, "Charlie don't surf!".

Edited by NeverEnough

Carriers may not do 100+ knots, but they are much faster than the usual public figures of 33+ knots.

Nuclear carriers were required to be able to generate enough wind to launch aircraft no matter what the wind conditions.

The aircraft carriers are the fastest ships in the Navy counting the PHMs that did 55+ knots.

Submarine sonar techs estimate the speed at about 70 knots, at which point, the aircraft carrier is hydroplaning (bow out of the water) and making a bit of a rooster tail.

I have never seen such a thing, but during my service, I met people who had.

nope. fairy tales. pure fantasy after too many beers..........

I've never seen any of them get over a certain speed (not further mentioned) that is no where near the fantasies you hear.

For general purposes - the 33 knot range is correct whether nuke or conventionally powered.

"Nuclear carriers were required to be able to generate enough wind to launch aircraft no matter what the wind conditions."

All carriers can do that and I have not only been launched from anchor in zero wind conditions, I've been shot downwind.

Jedi::

Of course, there was one way to do it. A carrier that could do 100kts. :grin:

Nope.

The carrier version used J-58 lift engines and a "quick install" jump ramp.

I've been shot downwind.

Now I know you're full of s**t Andy. :rofl:

Now I know you're full of s**t Andy. :rofl:

beans for chow did help a bit.....................

Well, those planes were all designed to fly off carriers that had known capabilities, so that's not saying all that much. They also take off from shore runways which may have not only no headwind but crosswind. I would think the only difference is going to be usable payload/fuel load if you have a still/negative wind.

A plane that can't use a cat designed for a long takeoff roll like an SR-71, though, is just out of the question.

Probably because having the BIG F is something cool. Mindset of the 60s, perhaps?

It's all about ego. Fighter jocks couldn't stand to be called bomber pilots (inferring that they were BUFF drivers). Had to have an "F" in front of the designation so they could still swagger at the bar with the Rhino drivers (pilot retention was a big issue then.......still is now). The F-111 Series was aptly called "McNamara's Folly". A single type jet for everyone's needs and, following that, pure simulator time to save on expenses. Pretty soon we could fly a bunch of simulated missions in simulated aircraft during a simulated confict and declare a simulated victory.