Sign in to follow this  
Brain32

For all terrain modders

For a very long time I was thinking about an idea, looking at various modelling teams and how they help each other and cooperate I thought how it may be nice to have something similar when it comes to those that while are here primarly for what happens in the sky actually care for what's beneath them...

We have complete chaos in terrain modding IMO,a small group of assorted individuals each doing their projects mostly by themselves and while I can even deal with that I think we can atleast share our intentions.

What I mean is, let's say we have an old terrain that passed two revisions:

1. One is updating targets on rev1, but keeps it quiet

2. One is making tiles for rev2, but keeps it quiet

3. One is making trees and objects for rev1 again, but keeps it quiet

4. One is making that same terrain again only much better, but keeps it quiet

Ok so it never went THAT extreme, but I think you understand what I want to say

Now I don't expect this to start a "TerrainFactory" lol But for a start I think we could just maybe state what our WiP's are all about and even our plans in a single thread in modders forum which we can use for that all the time.

I don't know maybe I lost it because I took 4 projects at once again lol, but I think exchanging ideas, methods and helping each other might benefit all of us...

Opinions....?

P.S: I'll be done with 2 of my projects tommorow so I might realise I was silly and delete this :beta1:

Edited by Brain32

Brain,

Actually it's a perfectly good idea. Look at all the mods for the GermanyCE terrain, several of which overlap in ini changes. Getting a consesus on the direction the mod should go in is the hard part.

FC

Brain,

Actually it's a perfectly good idea. Look at all the mods for the GermanyCE terrain, several of which overlap in ini changes. Getting a consesus on the direction the mod should go in is the hard part.

FC

Great idea. As a relative newbie, I view the mod efforts through different eyes than you old timers - and Fast Cargo has nailed it. There does not appear to be much coordination or cooperation, which results in a lot of overlap and duplication.

Agreed!!

We can always start or expand the "WIP" thread --that no one seems to know about or look at- in the KB. Not only terrains, but ALL mods in general (ships, vehicles, aircraft, campaigns, and so forth)

Wrench

kevin stein

Good idea.

IIRC I always post WIPs of my current stuff in the making.

Nice to see you guys agree, hope others will join as I consider you guys the ones I already closely cooperate with anyway lol

BTW It was not just about the WiP's(as Stary noted, most of us post WiP's anyway) more like, let's start with that and see where it goes but my main point was one place for ourselves that is a bit away from the general public where we could focus the discussion ;)

Edited by Brain32

Nice to see you guys agree, hope others will join as I consider you guys the ones I already closely cooperate with anyway lol

BTW It was not just about the WiP's(as Stary noted, most of us post WiP's anyway) more like, let's start with that and see where it goes but my main point was one place for ourselves that is a bit away from the general public where we could focus the discussion ;)

Modder's Round Table subforum?

Hi,

I do not claim to have the talent of those that have posted above but I do believe some type of forum would help the terrain community. Much of what I know, I learned from seeing what others are working on and their techniques they graciously share. I for one would certainly want to participate.

My thoughts exactly...

I'd given MUCH thought to a "The Terrain Editor" thread, stickied here so folks (like me!) can ask questions. Things like "how to a place a single tile?" or " in what order do a smooth things, so my airfeilds aren't hanging in space" or even "what do them icons do on lower right side??" Stuff like that.

With the questions SidDogg and I have been asking over the past coupla weeks, I DO think something like this in necessary

Wrench

kevin stein

This thread is very important. I've been working on a complete from scratch build of the WOI tiles at 1024x1024 for about 5 months. It's evolving well and dare I say I think it's looking pretty good. I've only completed the mountain, desert, farm and valley bmps to my satisfaction .. but all the while I've been thinking that wow! wouldn't it be great if we could pool our collective resources! We'd have excellent work done .. not to mention in a fraction of the time. I'd like an avenue where I could post WIPs and have the opportunity to have others see what i'm doing and vice versa.

Brain, I completely agree with you! I'm not a modder, but as a 'user' it's really hard to choose between excelent mods when their files are the same...

n00b question....what does WIP stand for?

Work In Progress

Good idea to have a place for terrain makers.

Im not a modder or anything, but i think this idea is really good, and this will also help terrains get done much quicker.