Sign in to follow this  
Tecumseh

Americas Migs

Red Eagles: America's Secret MiGs by Steve Davies

Was reading through this at Borders yesterday. Fantastic, IMO. Hope I have $ left over after Christmas!

Great stuff on flying and fighting Migs. :flyer:

It's on my Christmas list, so I hope it's waiting for me in couple of days.

One of the MiG-21Fs is at the museum at Eglin AFB. I remember back in the early 90's when it arrived, but had no clue that it was a former Red Hat aircraft.

-S

I've read this and it is quite good. Its a mixed bag though--the parts where they describe acquiring, maintaining and flying the MiGs are excellent, but there is also a lot of discussion of the administrative side of the squadron (who was there, doing what, and when) and that stuff is really boring.

In the Spanish Air Force Museum we got, A MiG-17PF, a MiG-21MF, a MiG-23ML and a Su-22, all in return from

Germans (we gave them a Me-109, a He-111 and a Ju-52 in the early 80s as they had few or none remaining)

and it´s weird to see them beside Phantoms, Starfighters and Mirages. No, it´s not weird, it´s great :biggrin:

The past two issues of (Aircraft Illustrated I believe) had excerpts from this book, plus a promo code that you can enter on the website for a discount. I ended up buying the book @ Borders since I'm involved in their program (and I had a nice coupon too). Haven't read the book yet, but am looking foward to it.

- It is a fantastic book, bar none. Though I found the "people side" very interesting...

- It was cool from the aspect of employing the MiGs and how they learned Soviet tactics/procedures...particularly interesting was the scene where the -21 was ~70 Knots and fighting an F-14!

- But if you are a casual reader or expecting an action movie, look elsewhere as this is much more an attempt to record the program than a trashy paperback novel

Two strong thumbs up here. It was a book that I literally could not put down.

I really, really enjoyed the insights into flying the various MiGs. The MiG-23 in particular was a real surprise- sounded like a real handful of jet.

Definately pick it up. It's fairly inexpensive on Amazon.

I got this one. Amazing read, but as C5 said, it ranges from highly interesting to dull, depending on the subject. The engagements are pretty amazing and it really illustrates just how good the MiGs were with good pilots in them...well, except the Flogger...but yeah, a great read.

Anybody that ever came in to Dallas,Tx on I-30 westbound before I-635, would see a MiG-15 in the Russian Silver and markings just outside of Garland,Tx.Also,on I-30 before Sulphur Springs,Tx.,there's a F-111(in very poor condition in Navy colors) sitting close to Interstate.When I drove Semi-Truck and Trailer OTR/53ft/55ft (2000-2006) would be the highlight of my day to see this part of aviation history.But,WPAFB will always be my favorite place to visit and envy those who still live there.

Brady

Anybody that ever came in to Dallas,Tx on I-30 westbound before I-635, would see a MiG-15 in the Russian Silver and markings just outside of Garland,Tx.

Is that a MiG-15 or -17? I've seen it twice, but couldnt stop either time to take a close look and count the wing fences to see which it was. It looked to have Hungarian markings, as the star wasnt solid.

-S

...but there is also a lot of discussion of the administrative side of the squadron (who was there, doing what, and when) and that stuff is really boring.

Admin, boring...? NO! Really...? :biggrin:

Is that a MiG-15 or -17? I've seen it twice, but couldnt stop either time to take a close look and count the wing fences to see which it was. It looked to have Hungarian markings, as the star wasnt solid.

-S

Jeff,

What I could tell it was a -15 and was originally a Hungarian origin.Very faded Stars and paint.Thought it was a shame to it sit there in that shape.Is it still there I wander?

Brady

Also,on I-30 before Sulphur Springs,Tx.,there's a F-111(in very poor condition in Navy colors) sitting close to Interstate.

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, I've seen it too. It's funny, because it almost looks like it's just in someone's yard next to the interstate.

Here's a web page I found about it...seems like it's a military museum and surplus store.

Turner-F-111-01.jpg

http://www.hi-litesbyhigh.com/AssortedPhot...ted-Photos.html

http://local.yahoo.com/info-18787465-turne...us-wake-village

Anyone want a 'Vark for a fixer-er-upper?

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

FC

Shhhhh!!! You'll get some rabid Aussies in here wanting it! :biggrin:

Saw the book for the first time yesterday here in the UK, decided to buy it, can't wait to get through it. From what I've heard it's a very good book. Anyone who's interested in the topic should head over to Steve Davies' site, it has a great discussion forum on it...

http://www.fjphotography.com/constantpeg/index.htm