Sign in to follow this  
HotNess

dreaded tank sims anyone.?

hey you lot....i just played for first time the t34 vs tiger..it been sat on my computer for ages and never played as i was expecting another t72 balkens type...and it sort ov is,but a bit better...dunno how steel fury is compared to t34.....makes me miss m1 tank platoon 2

xx v xx

is there any good tank sim these days??

i always looked for one but never had the chance to try one that is good

The last tank sim I had was Panzer Commander. I spent hours on it, but nothing since has really captured my eye. Reading bad reviews of what was available didnt help either.

-S

there is the "steel beasts 2"

http://www.esimgames.com/ and it isn't easyer than DCS Black shark to activate the copy protection system.... IIRC they send u a pen drive for play with.

Edited by Silverbolt

Did not played T-34 vs Tiger. But I played Steel Fury.

Steel fury is number one for me. If there will be add on with Tiger (just my own thought), I can not imagine how good it will be :biggrin:

Steel fury is tank simulator in every sence of "tank simulator" for me :good:

Take a look on simhq, there is preview. Rated as best tank sim of these ages. Previous best sim was (according author) T-34 vs Tiger.

I was an M1A1 tanker for some years. Steel Beasts is a very realistic modern tank simulation. Realistic when it comes to ballistics, weapon system employment etc. But like all tank sims, it has problems with its crew commands, especially when controlling the driver, it isn't the easiest thing in the world to get into a proper BP (battle position) and going from hull down to turret down positions is near impossible.

Tanks are a hard thing to simulate on the PC. But if you can look past some of the short comings they cam be fun games, like M1 Tank Platoon 2. I don't think if I hadn't been a 19K in the army I would have been able to figure out they systems on Steel Beasts.

So far, all I have heard about T-34 vs Tiger isn't much good: very few missions, no random elements in the missions, and apparently the infantry units in the game don't really do much. The only thing it seems to have in its favor is multiplayer. On the other hand, in Steel Fury (which I did buy) you have (limited) control over other units. It's fun to watch the AI infantry guys occupying trenches etc. Steel Fury has 3 campaigns of about 10 missions each. The campaigns are static, but you get random elements in the missions so they play slightly different each time. Also, Steel Fury seems to have a larger following and modding community.

It's far from perfect (the mission editor is difficult to use, localisation issues, no antialiasing) but it's a promising simulation. Its strongpoint, I think, is the wonderfully modelled terrain, with a big variety of landscape features that can be used for cover or ambushes, and it offers a good representation of combined arms tactics.

I still am playing with my copy of WARGASM I got in 1998. I listen to my music and blast away! It's the KISS rule of keep it short and simple but I can still get my jollies from it. Someday I'll save up some duckets and buy Steel Beasts Pro Personal Edition for $125. I used to play with the armor in Red Orchestra until my computer crashed. When I tried to reinstall it I wasn't allowed to retrieve my password through my e-mail account. So now it's dead to me.

If I choose to go tactical with or in some heavy junk I choose to be in north afrika in Rommels Afrika Korps. I want it all. Patrols in a kubelwagon with an mg 42, those bitchin 4 wheel drive scout cars with the 20 mike mike gun. Well Doggies! Oh yah I want the tracked panzers too.

:ph34r: CL

I still am playing with my copy of WARGASM I got in 1998. I listen to my music and blast away! It's the KISS rule of keep it short and simple but I can still get my jollies from it. Someday I'll save up some duckets and buy Steel Beasts Pro Personal Edition for $125. I used to play with the armor in Red Orchestra until my computer crashed. When I tried to reinstall it I wasn't allowed to retrieve my password through my e-mail account. So now it's dead to me.

You should try ArmA, the successor to Operation Flashpoint. Should give you a nice feeling of being on a battlefield. You gotta get mods for it though, vanilla ArmA sucks. :yes:

Charlielima, there's a mod based on the north african conflict zone during WW2 in the works for ArmA.

Edited by TX3RN0BILL

For WWII the best is Panzer Elite. Long campaigns in Africa, Italy and Normandy. You can play both sides with a lot different tanks (Panzer III H/J/N, Panzer IV E/F2/G/H/J, Panther A/D/G, Tiger I, Tiger II, Stuart M5, Sherman M4/M4A1/M4A3, Sherman M4A1/M4A3 76, Sherman Jumbo...) and there is still people working on mods for it.

And it has multiplayer too.

The biggest thing about ArmA is friendly AI is lame, so it's best to play it MP with other people playing on your side.

While using the vehicles is fun, they're hardly realistic.

Cool I'll check out Panzer Elite. What is the big forum for that?

:ph34r: CL

Have you guys tried out ACE mod for ArmA. It makes things pretty realistic.

Edited by suhsjake

Guest Stiglr

PanzerElite has just about disappeared off the map, unfortunately. It had the potential to be THE armor sim for WWII. But it had a few glaring weaknesses:

1) It was moddable, but very kludgy: players could not easily add to it without creating problems with sharing files and version control, especially with regards to online play.

2) You could not get the "boxed scenario" experience in multiplayer. None of the AI vehicles or infantry could be used in a multiplayer session. The only possible online situation was "tank deathmatch".

======================================================

Word appeared yesterday on SimHQ that the distributor of Steel Fury:Kharkov '42, Lighthouse Interactive, has gone insolvent. So, although this title seemed to have a LOT of promise, and was already showing signs of a lot of community modding activity, there might not be much future in it. For myself, I was turning a blind eye to this title's lack of online play, hoping it would be initially successful and that capability would be added on later.

If the company insolvency means that SF/K will never be supported further (and hence, no online will ever be possible), then all my interest in the sim will go by the boards. For me, any sim title MUST have multiplayer, or I'm not interested. Boxed missions and campaigns are, and will NEVER be, a replacement for playing against other living, breathing players; I see them as practice sessions to learn the sim or to prepare for eventual online play. Online/Multiplayer is a MUST for any simulation, if it's to have a viable community and any "shelf life".