Sign in to follow this  
Dave

About Damn Time!

Yes it was great news.It should never have had to be done but at least these men won't have to rot in jail anymore.

Hopefully the federal prosecuter that created this tragedy will be sued down to a grovelling life.

Any word on the Deputy Sheriffs that where Jailed by the same piece of .............

:ph34r: CL

Yeah I was happy when I heard this but it should have been a full pardon and not just a commutation. Actually they should never have been convicted in the first place, but the country we live in is sadly not the country we were born in.

Hopefully the federal prosecuter that created this tragedy will be sued down to a grovelling life.

Any word on the Deputy Sheriffs that where Jailed by the same piece of .............

Well, that will not happen, considering the conviction still stands. All this means is they are not in jail anymore. Even a pardon would not have shown any malice or wrong doing by the prosecutor. This does not end here, they need to keep fighting to overturn the conviction (remove this from their records) when that occurs, then they can start looking at lawsuits and the like.

Good job G Dub Bush

Johny Sutton was appointed by George the 2nd

My distaste for him is well known, but this is something I can agree with. When the whole case started is was a gigantic WTF?! prosecuting people for doing their jobs :blink:

I know I am going to draw fire on this one, but -

I don't agree that they should be pardoned.

leaving aside all the other stuff in this case my concern boils down to this undisputed point -

these guys, while in the performance of their official duties, falsified and suppressed evidence.

I agree with and applaud the commutation as I thought the sentence was out of line and the confinement in the general prison population was out of line. I also think there were serious problems with the trial and that should undergo a serious review.

but I am not so certain, yet, that a pardon is appropriate.

I guess a full pardon maybe not, but I'm sure time served was likely sufficient for the penalty for those offenses. The difference of course is I believe a full pardon removes the conviction from your record, so they're no longer felons? If falsifying/suppressing evidence is a felony, then that should stand.

these guys, while in the performance of their official duties, falsified and suppressed evidence.

That isn't what they were convicted of:

...a federal jury convicted Compean, 28, and Ramos, 37, in March after a two-week trial on charges of causing serious bodily injury, assault with a deadly weapon, discharge of a firearm in relation to a crime of violence and a civil rights violation

Now if you want them retried for falsification and suppression of evidence, that is one thing, but when it comes to the actual items they were convicted of, I maintain that the commutation was better than nothing but a full pardon would have been better.

A civil rights violation against an armed drug-smuggler illegally in this country...I still to this day can't believe that sh*t.

leaving aside all the other stuff in this case my concern boils down to this undisputed point -

Yeah, that one stuck in my craw too...

Its too bad the falsification and suppression that goes on in Washington every day doesn't stick in more people's craw.

Guest 531_Ghost
Yeah I was happy when I heard this but it should have been a full pardon and not just a commutation. Actually they should never have been convicted in the first place, but the country we live in is sadly not the country we were born in.

:good:

That isn't what they were convicted of:

...a federal jury convicted Compean, 28, and Ramos, 37, in March after a two-week trial on charges of causing serious bodily injury, assault with a deadly weapon, discharge of a firearm in relation to a crime of violence and a civil rights violation

Now if you want them retried for falsification and suppression of evidence, that is one thing, but when it comes to the actual items they were convicted of, I maintain that the commutation was better than nothing but a full pardon would have been better.

A civil rights violation against an armed drug-smuggler illegally in this country...I still to this day can't believe that sh*t.

I agree with you that was poorly done and should not have involved those charges. For shooting and wounding an escaping, armed drug smuggler they should have received remedial firearms training to improve their accuracy.

They should have been charged with, and convicted, of falsifying and destroying evidence and filing a false report.

and I agree that more in DC should be held to that standard. But these guys were sworn officers of the law and should be held to their oaths and that professional standard of conduct.

how do you shoot a guy in the butt in self defense?

Could happen any number of ways. If a guy has a weapon and firing it as he is fleeing. If a guy is shooting at someone else and you happen to be behind him. Etc., etc.

The crime here was being a bad shot and not killing the guy. That's why you double-tap, fellows! Don't let them get up to suck on the teat of the court.

All I can say is I wished I lived in a border state.the illegal invasion of the US allowed by the Mexican goverment is shameful at best and a hostile act at worst.If there was any sanity left in this country the bourder would be protected with land mines and razor wire.All I hear is liberals crying for these poor people trying to better their lives.I feel for them and in there situation I would probobly do anything I could to help my family but the corupt Mexican(read all) authorities help these illegal bordercrossings to prop up their failed economy.I would love to spend one summer down on the border disasembling illegal waterstations and planting false maps so these people end up back in Mexico.I have never harbored any resentment against LEGAL imigrants I have gladly worked side by side with people from all over the world and have hired them for my crews but If your here illegaly from anywhere your a lawbreaker and have to go.I hate people who cheat and thats what they are doing.On one side of my family we had people here from pre-revolution and on the other they imegrated here about 100 years ago.I just wish people would just wake up and do the right thing.

May these two heros live in peace with their families for the rest of their lives. Yet I still can see the apathy of many concerning some of the facts of this ongoing politically motivated persecution of Border Patrol Agents whose actions were within the law. That a call for a congressional investigation into the prosecutorial misconduct by a Federally appointed stooge by the name of Johnny Sutton won't see the light of day should be the big news, but isn't. I watched little John Boy try to defend his malfeasance towards these two heros and he exposed his weaselly nature instantly. I'm sure his masters rewarded him well.

I know I am going to draw fire on this one, but -

I don't agree that they should be pardoned.

I agree with and applaud the commutation as I thought the sentence was out of line and the confinement in the general prison population was out of line. I also think there were serious problems with the trial and that should undergo a serious review.

but I am not so certain, yet, that a pardon is appropriate.

10 and 11 years in prison for what should be, at worst, an administrative offense? Remind me to not get on your bad side.

10 and 11 years in prison for what should be, at worst, an administrative offense? Remind me to not get on your bad side.

that's what my Chief said...

:wink:

now - you missed a rather key part of what I said up there

"I agree with and applaud the commutation as I thought the sentence was out of line and the confinement in the general prison population was out of line."

so I think we agree on that point and I am glad to see them out of prison.

now -

"for what should be, at worst, an administrative offense?" Falsifying and suppressing evidence in a criminal investigation BY A SWORN LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER should be an administrative offense?

I took my oath of office seriously and I suspect most people do. When one breaks their oath and commits perjury in the performance of their official duties - I do have a short level of tolerance.

(granted that most of Congress and the state Legislatures do so on a regular basis.......)

we should never tolerate that in our military and law enforcement agencies.

For that reason - I do not support a Presidential Pardon.

After reading about some of the disparities concerning the conduct of John Sutton as well as the role of the Mexican Consular in pushing for penalties against American citizens I would've expected a full pardon. I take oaths seriously too, especially the one to defend the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic. If you've read or heard more about this grave injustice then what you've heard on the TV or radio you'd also be of a different opinion. The falsification and suppression of evidence in a criminal investigation that bothered me the most was done by John Sutton. Which was verified by some of the jurists after their verdict. Or is the old political double standard being applied here?

For these reasons I support a full pardon.

Edited by Roopod

After reading about some of the disparities concerning the conduct of John Sutton as well as the role of the Mexican Consular in pushing for penalties against American citizens I would've expected a full pardon. I take oaths seriously too, especially the one to defend the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic. If you've read or heard more about this grave injustice then what you've heard on the TV or radio you'd also be of a different opinion. The falsification and suppression of evidence in a criminal investigation that bothered me the most was done by John Sutton. Which was verified by some of the jurists after their verdict. Or is the old political double standard being applied here?

For these reasons I support a full pardon.

I will certainly support a full investigation and prosecution of John Sutton.

that is quite seperate from the suppression and falsification of evidence by the agents themselves.