Sign in to follow this  
column5

Christian Bale (A$$hole)

I heard Michael Winner interviewed on Radio 4 this morning, and he fully supported Bale's reaction and said that he would have done the same thing. For what it's worth :biggrin:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :rofl:

LOL is right, I've snapped on a Soldier once, but then again he deserved it, to a point. Had to apologize to him... but the world still turns if some dude jacks up a scene. I mean you can always reshoot it......

Actors and athletes are just too insolated from criticism and are surrounded by sycophants so that they all usually become pretentious a$$holes. Nobody deserves to be treated like that no matter how wrong or right. I guess he’s lived long enough to see himself become the bad guy.

Nobody deserves to be treated like that no matter how wrong or right.

Guess he shouldnt of screwed up then. Yes some people deserve and need a good ass chewing. This guy did. Then again I'm not PC anyway. There are more than a few recruits that got their asses chewed like that by me. I never apologized either for doing it and have no regrets that I did it.

Amen, it's time some people realize they're not children anymore and that "mommy, the angry guy yelled and said naughty words" doesn't/shouldn't work in real life.

You screw up, you pay the price... being yelled at and being at the wrong end of empty threats is a small price to pay for mistakes costing hours of work for dozens of people...

In the military sometimes it is required to yell at screw offs but that sentece was in context of the civilain world and Chritian Bale was using his power to be a big baby and is just unprofessional behaivor on his own part.

Edited by herman01

In the military sometimes it is required to yell at screw offs but that sentece was in context of the civilain world and Chritian Bale was using his power to be a big baby and is just unprofessional behaivor on his own part.

Negative bro. There shouldn't be a difference between how things operate in the civilian world and the military world. Unfortunately, there is that difference and that's why there is so much lack of discipline and integrity in the civilian world (not saying all civilians are like that). This is why corruption in the work place is such an out of control issue. People are literally left off the hook for their mistakes. Eyes look the other way when someone does something wrong. This develops the mindset that anybody can get away with anything without a concern of consequences for one's actions. This is the main reason why I will never go back to a civilian job because people have to be treated with a disgusting amount of softness that I can not stand. I did not see Christian Bale as a big baby in this, but as someone who expects and demands the highest discipline and professionalism from someone who is in a position to have those qualities. He is, in military terms, "hardcore" in what he does and expect others to be at that level. Why? Because he demads excellence, discipline, and integrity in the work field, and there is nothing wrong with that at all. Guranteed, that director will probably never make that mistake again, at least while working with Christian Bale.

I find baffling his equivocating in the middle of the rant.

"You're a nice guy, but..." I mean, you're so pissed off at the guy that you go on this tirade, but you still have to give him a compliment or two?? :blink:

Must be a British thing. Over here you'd talk about how incompetent those that raised them must be, their questionable genetics, and likely pasttimes involving animals. :grin:

A four minute tirade is a tantrum. Its unprofessional to be a hot head and it makes you a pompous ass. If a guy screws up then you warn them once if it happens again then there might be consequences. People make mistakes and its just a scene that they can re-shoot.

herman01, it's not "just a scene", a scene is a cooperative process involving dozens of people doing their job.

Even worse, if done in natural environment, a scene is a tricky thing to do, as lighting changes with the time of the day, with weather, and you might not get to reshoot a scene properly for days if you miss the particular window of opportunity you were looking for (Just watch Lost in la Mancha for a nice exemple of really bad luck...).

For some movies, reshooting a scene might mean spending YET another hour or two in freezing water, or mostly nude in the middle of winter, or under tons of makeup and heavy costumes under heavy (and hot) lighting.

The more you shoot, the more fatigue creeps in (in actors and crews) and the greater the risk of screw-ups is.

All delays cost money, as the dozens of people have to get paid for their time.

All people on set are there since early morning and will usually leave only when the shooting schedule for the day is done, or when working conditions are not good enough (when everyone's too tired or the weather/lighting are not right anymore).

All of these people have families and better thing to do than reshooting scene after scene just because some idiot likes to wander on set, especially if scenes were good until that point.

Given, actors don't work that much, but when they do work, they work intensely, sometimes accepting things you would not accept (in Bale's case one might think of losing more than 60 pounds in preparation for The Machinist, allegedly he wanted to lose even more) (of course, most get paid handsomely for what they do).

Professionalism is NOT letting people screw up hours of teamwork repeatedly and let it continue.

Let's switch context for one where repeated absent-minded mistakes screwing the work of other has clearer consequences; A moron absent-mindedly walks in on an operation room, during an operation, without proper protection, threatening contamination for the patience and risking his life ? Twice ?

Don't you think the moron wouln't be yelled at ? Would the surgeon delivering the yelling be unprofessional ?

I'll guess you never worked in situations where your own work can be compromised by the incompetence of others and where you would have to start all over again because of it, if you did you would not see yelling as unprofessional, as it sometime is the only way, short of using lethal means, to deal with some idiots.

Edited by Gunrunner