Sign in to follow this  
i fight by 1

Pilot KIA, but plane fine?

It was weird, I choose Mig cap in the single mission thing and started the mission like normal. Towards the end, like when there were only a few left, there was this Mig that was flying right at me. I was playing on easy so I just blasted my afterburner going straight at him. He was going over 500 and I was at like 450 something when I started shooting at him but, he didn't seem to shoot at me. It happened pretty fast I Gunned him down, then I see a red thing flying towards me. Then its over, I see my plane zoom foward. No smoke, no damage, nothing. I don't have any screenies of this because my plane was going to fast to try and get one >_<. Sorry for the story, question here is did my Pilot just get shot and killed, while my plane took barely any damage?

Hmm sounds like you were hit by something - not sure of the damage behaviour in easy mode though because ive never used it.

Hmm sounds like you were hit by something - not sure of the damage behaviour in easy mode though because ive never used it.

Yeah I thought I was probably hit from a missle, but nope. I could see nothing wrong with it, it was moving hella fast too.

Could have taken a direct hit to your cockpit area?

I've been wounded by by AAA with only minor damge to the aircraft so perhaps something like that happened to you.

BTW-The red thing you saw coming towards you? Sounds like a tracer round. You'll know when it's a missle. You said there were a few MIGs left, maybe someone got lucky.

Edited by Lt. James Cater

Could have taken a direct hit to your cockpit area?

I've been wounded by by AAA with only minor damge to the aircraft so perhaps something like that happened to you.

I think so, we were literally heading straight at each other. I just didn't know if the game was made so that your pilot could die and plane be fine^^

make sure you accidentally did not hit eject, i did that before just as i was about to land (hit it instead of gear down)

It happened to me one time. Face to face, gun duel, I got killed but my plane was completely fine.

Golden BB...

its happened to me got shot down no damage and a dead pilot both by fighters and flak... but thats on hard settings...

just thought, will the pilot die if you are shot through the canopy, then there might no be a lot of visible damage, just a dead pilot

I just finished a strike mission in SF2. Hit the target but got my tailplane blown off by 23mm MiG cannon on the way home. I only found out on debrief that I was killed. :dntknw:

So it seems the dead CAN fly. I was wondering how I was able to bring what was left of my aircraft home to base in my dead state :rofl:

Each plane section in data ini has a parameter that determines the degree of damage linked to loss of this part. If the part is marked destroyed, then losing it means death, unless you eject, even if plane remains flyable. Died like that dozens of times in FE. Maybe you could nag TK to link death only to fuselage destruction. :wink:

Look at the pre-flight map, memorize the front line. Ejecting on your side is harmless.

Also, in the data.ini's you'll notice parameters called MinExtent and MaxExtent. These define a 'hitbox' for the particular part they are assigned to. You'll notice even the pilots have hitboxes. So it's quite possible to have a bullet strike the pilot hitbox and not hit anything else and kill you.

FC

I just finished a strike mission in SF2. Hit the target but got my tailplane blown off by 23mm MiG cannon on the way home. I only found out on debrief that I was killed. :dntknw:

So it seems the dead CAN fly. I was wondering how I was able to bring what was left of my aircraft home to base in my dead state :rofl:

might be a case of being mortally wounded but still able to fly the plane.

once you land, you lost too much blood and died.

but i doubt the game engine simulates this.

Edited by jomni

could you not also increase the thickness of the armor around your pilot? In some .inis, there are entries under [PILOT] that show armor material and thickness, do you think that making the armor thicker could make it more likely to survive a hit?

I would just like to know what your wingman thought, seeing a red stained cockpit, but the aircraft was still flying as normal.

"Nice paint job on your cockpit Tomahawk one....Tomahawk one? You there buddy? Oh this is no way to treat your wingman, Why you ignoring me, what the hell man."

Edited by scouserlad13