Sign in to follow this  
JRA

I have a question too

I thought of this because 8 of my F-4E guys got slaughtered by Migs today. We only managed to take down 6 of them, and 2 of those are my kills.

What aircraft until 1980 counters Mig-17's and Mig-21's best? I stick with an F-4E Kurnass because... I find it the most effective??? My record with an F-4E was 19 kills before getting shot down by a Mig. What do you think?

There's a whole host. Early model F-16s have the manourverability and can carry a stack of IRMs. You've got Mig-23s from the Eastern Bloc. I find the SAAB Viggens, despite not being the most agile, can be pretty potent is you can train those hard hitting 30mm cannons on target. The A-4 has the agility to line up the more nimble Migs too.

I guess it all depends on how you're engaging the Migs. What you're doing when you get into a turning fight and what you need from your aircraft. I'm guessing you're talking about knife fighting RE the Migs, yeah? I mean the F-14 was active from before 1980 and there'd be a lot of people swear by the Tomcat...

Oh, wait. Up until 1980... Yeah, aside from the F-16s, most of that is valid.

I usually engage Migs toe on toe which means I torture my aicraft with a lot of G's. The Migs are tough since they can make sharper turns (is this correct?).

I didn't know A-4's dared Migs :blink:

The A-4 was used by the US NAvy to simulate the Mig-17 and it didnt do a bad job of simulating the Mig-17. Must admit in WOV I generally use A-4E and bag Mig's. In real life the A-4 has taken out a few Aircraft mostly Mig-17's :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-4_Skyhawk

The Israeli's bagged another Mig as well but I dont have the data to hand on that one. Up until the F-16 its possibly the best US knife fighter apart from a lack of thrust and Radar guided missiles its a tough little bird as well... and you can do most missions in one.

Edited by PACMAN

Up until the F-16 its possibly the best knife fighter apart from a lack of thrust and Radar guided missiles its a tough little bird as well... and yuo can do most missions in one.

That's precisely why I dig the RAN A-4G and the RNZAF A-4K Kahu. There's not much you can't do with either, especially the A-4K Kahu! That bird is mean!

That's precisely why I dig the RAN A-4G and the RNZAF A-4K Kahu. There's not much you can't do with either, especially the A-4K Kahu! That bird is mean!

And both are damn fine airplanes...

And as I aint a Phantom Phreak as I like my planes like me pre-coffee simple mean and moody... :rofl:

For some more info on the A-4 see here...

http://www.skyhawk.org/2e/world.htm

Edited by PACMAN

I thought of this because 8 of my F-4E guys got slaughtered by Migs today. We only managed to take down 6 of them, and 2 of those are my kills.

What aircraft until 1980 counters Mig-17's and Mig-21's best? I stick with an F-4E Kurnass because... I find it the most effective??? My record with an F-4E was 19 kills before getting shot down by a Mig. What do you think?

F5A/E, Mirage III/V/F1 , J35 ?? :rolleyes:

Hou doe,

Derk :wink:

Try the Hawker Hunter - is a rocket ship since about sept 08 :)

I usually engage Migs toe on toe which means I torture my aicraft with a lot of G's. The Migs are tough since they can make sharper turns (is this correct?).

I didn't know A-4's dared Migs :blink:

AFAIK In real life the Have Drill eval concluded that the A-4, A-6 and A-7 should not engage the MiG-17 - and if faced with one:

Jettison non A-A stores

Unload, Dive and accelerate

Utilize better roll rate

run out at max airspeed and minimum altitude

Below 450kts the MiG-17 was proven it could out turn any of them and most other things back then.

In this sim you can beat the MiG-17F in a turning fight with any A-4 - but stick an experienced human in it (ie multiplayer) and the MiG-17F will give you your A on a plate - as i found out last year!

I dont need to worry cause a fly as MiGs all the time :tongue:

I find F-4Ms effective actually

Try the Grumman Super Tiger. Won't turn with the MiG-17 but has some 'Boom and Zoom' as well as a nice FM. [ Dhimar are getting some in my SFP-1 install. So sad that plane never happened. For the time, and probably to this day, it had all the parts in the right place.]

You know by early 80s every time I fly in MiG be it MiG-21 or even MiG-23 I always got shot down by the western planes thanks to their powerful radar and medium range missile. The MiG can give you a fair chance to win until F-16A and F-15A came to operation. After that it ceases being a fair fight if you fly MiGs against western radar equipped modern planes. Unless I suppose you fly MiG-29 but I believe MiG-29 was not available in the early 80s to Soviet client states. I read that MiG-29 only entered Soviet service in mid 1980s

Edited by Miracles

Instead of trying to fight fire with fire, or in this case, manuverability with manuverability, take a plane with a very good thrust to weight ratio or just lots of thrust and take to the vertical. Stay fast and high, and instead of trying to turn with a MiG once you get behind it, take a couple shots, then as soon as your speed drops below 450 knots and you lose your advantage, go full burner, turn off from behind the MiG and climb right back up. Let your speed get back up and then roll in again. It takes some getting used to, but it works. As long as you stay fast, no MiG-17 can touch you because they can't get in gun range.