I still want it lol......Only I dont think we could call it the Phantom, Wraith would be a good name or even specter ultimately it will be an interesting aircraft to fly

Edited by Falcon161

I still want it lol......Only I dont think we could call it the Phantom, Wraith would be a good name or even specter ultimately it will be an interesting aircraft to fly

Agreed. good.gif

A super-sonic Spectre?

I could work with that...

:grin:

J79 turbojets were thirsty engines and the F-4 fixed wing was optimized for Mach 2 not subsonic cruising. A swing wing F-4 with Spey turbofans (20,500 lbs of thrust each) would have down well with endurance and range. The F-14 was very heavy and used the rather poor TF30 engines (only 20,900 lbs of thrust each in a 60,000 lb plane). Of course, the British F-4s with Spey engines never got the full benefit as the installation altered the lines of the F-4 increasing its zero-lift drag. Given that the Phoenix was never really used or needed, why pay all that weight and money for it? AIM-7s held the line until AMRAAM finally became operational, and maybe AMRAAM could have arrived sooner if no time or money were wasted on development and fixes for the AIM-54C (which had a lot of problems). But whether the F-4VS would have been an acceptable downgrade is now moot. The Navy downgraded to the F/A-18E. Aside from avionics, limited stealth improvements, and the fact that they are brand new airframes, the F/A-18E is inferior to the F-14D in almost every way. Present politics prevents getting the best equipment. If you get anything at all, it better be cheap to buy and maintain.

Well the navy had to replace the A-6 after not only A-12, but A-X and A/F-X too died, and with Cheney's cancellation of the F-14D they basically had the choice of the Superbug or nothing. The future USN airwing of the late 90's was always envisioned as consisting of A-12 handling the strike mission while the F-14D would handle the fleet defense mission. NATF was never a serious navy venture since their priority was on replacing the A-6, as the F-14D handled the fighter mission just fine. Of course Cheney then went and cancelled the D and now the navy is stuck with the Superbug.

I like ti, it would make a good multi-role fighter, and since im in the midle of a stage of phanton mania , I love to fly it

post-35369-12705552661017.jpg

post-35369-12705552822346.jpg

Edited by rotarycrazy

Well the navy had to replace the A-6 after not only A-12, but A-X and A/F-X too died, and with Cheney's cancellation of the F-14D they basically had the choice of the Superbug or nothing. The future USN airwing of the late 90's was always envisioned as consisting of A-12 handling the strike mission while the F-14D would handle the fleet defense mission. NATF was never a serious navy venture since their priority was on replacing the A-6, as the F-14D handled the fighter mission just fine. Of course Cheney then went and cancelled the D and now the navy is stuck with the Superbug.

That doesn't really explain the loss of the A-6. Using an F in an A role doesn't make sense. Even with the AF's penchant for such things (F-105, "F"-111, etc), they still picked up some A-7s, and the A-10. To really get down and dirty with a lot of load and loiter time, you want good low speed performance (A-1, A-4, A-6, A-7, etc). Especially for SEAD missions. I just don't see how a fast mover can do the job as well as the EA-6.

But, then again, politics and politicians making dumb decisions were repsonsible for that one too, so this isn't exactly a surprise either.

(could almost be seen as some sort of anti-Grumman conspiracy.... yikes.gif the bastards! lol)

I think it basically came down to having the Superhornet, or having no aircraft at all.

Okay talk about making the Double Ugly more Ugly???

More ugly? There's an even more interesting question to be asked: when will it be available in the downloads section?

Oops, looks like I'm not alone...

For some reason this intrigues the heck outta me! I like this and would love to fly it in the SF/WOX series. Only thing though is Name and designation

This could be a very interesting "What If" plane...

Yes I would love this plane in my vast hanger it just seems to fit for some reason

Im good with that Name...we got a name now We actually need the Aircraft

Im good with that Name...we got a name now We actually need the Aircraft

Agreed. Wish I could help. I've dabbled with 3D modelling and have managed to make a respectable AIM-54, but it's not animated and I just can NOT get it mapped for a skin. Intense frustration over that led to me giving up on the project. The modelling part isn't so bad, it's that damnable UV mapping crap that pisses me off. lol

I guess a designation is still needed as well. And perhaps some background?

Supposedly, according to this thread, they could have been operational before the Tomcat, as early as 1972. 'Cept they weren't. Most what-if stuff I play with is modern and I take it as being just that, current/modern and perhaps even sold to foriegn concerns. ("Polecat", et al)

I suspect that this would lead to a lot of flight testing and development, but then again, maybe not. dntknw.gif

I think as with the name, the designation should be similar. F-4 something.... F-4SW is the obvious one (SW - Swing Wing grin.gif ) They've had B, C, D, E, F, G (2 of those), J, K, M, N, S, and EJ.

X perhaps? Kinda cliche, but still sorta cool (plus visually, the X contains a swept wing config (lower half), and represents a hinge or pivot for 2 straight pieces to rotate around). SW could work.

Would this be a Navy lineage? Meaning, gun? Or no gun? If Navy, perhaps O or P as those are some of the next avialable.

dntknw.gif

Well my thinkin is that maybe it did have a gun assuming it was to be a fighter even though I know top brass back then did not Like the Idea of a gun on their fighters...although the F-14 had one and the F-4E had one to so this version could have one too guess it up to us either way I want this Aircraft badly but weapon stations are a big issue where would the weapons have been placed besides under the belly on the wing mouts and how much it would've been to carry....Skinning I may be able to elp with as long as I have templates...we would need someone for flight model and other stuff

I am all for it guys we just need to orginize because ima go crazy if I cant fly this beauty

For weapon stations, you've already got the semi-recessed slots for the Sparrows, and then just move the twin 'winder holders to the glove area and you're good.

I wish I could 3D model, or do the FM work. But unfortunately I don't have the tools or the skills.

The only downside is that the FM would be someone's interpretation and effectively nothing more than an educated WAG. Not that that is entirely a bad thing, I mean, I'm sure certain conclusions can be drawn and it wouldn't have to be a total fantasy, just sayin'.

I agree that it would sure be nice to have though. (For Gen 2 please. :wink: )