Well I have a new nemesis. Su-30KI vs Tornado F3. We past each other to start the fight, I pulled hard right. just screaming the airframe. I looked over the top and my right shoulder and that SU-30 was right on my tail. Not turning into my tail, he was on it. Ate an Archer for that.

Nemi is my favorite greek goddess, (goddess of retributive justice and revenge)

The I understand it is that some of the better NV pilots actually preferred the MiG-17 over the -19 and -21.

That is correct.

I bet a lot of them thought different after US pilots finally got around to knowing how to fight in a F-4.

Anyways...

The thing about the 19 that North Vietnamese pilots had against was that it wasn't as manuverable as a 17 nor as fast as a 21. Considering the tactics involved i wonder what the problem was. Sneak up on a target and two seconds (if even that) of fire is enough to blow away any tactical aircraft that flew at the time.

I think i'll fire up "Aces of North Vietnam and give it a try.

You can better try Charlie's Aces (more updated MiG-17 FM). Fly the -17 on hard and you'll love the -19 and -21. I like a lot the -17 against fighters, but you simply can't catch the bombers, before they launch (except Spads and A-4's)

I've read MiG-19 was prematurely rejected by the Sovs in favour of the "flashy" MiG-21. But the Chinese stuck with developing it over time. The major thing that cutting edge aircraft need is time. In a "vietnam" style combat enviro, a decade after -19 first flew, I'd prefer the -19 over -17 and -21, at least that's what I'm thinking right now anyways.

When they bingo they often hit the deck and peg it for home - which is something they never used to do so thats a big improvement

Weirdly enough I've encountered this behaviour more than one in 083006 patched installs.

False interpretation or pure luck (for me)?

As for my arch nemesis, I'll put the Il-28 on the top of the candidate list.

I'll tell you why once you've stopped laughing.

Done? Alright, here it goes:

It's the fraking tail gunners. They're better shooters than any fighter jock and since an Il-28 normally isn't worth a missile shot (nope, not even a Sparrow!), I'll only waste 20mm shells on them. This means that I'll have to close in to gun range, which is leaving me on a diner plate for the guy in the back. And since Il-28 mostly come in packs of at least this means that there are at least four 23mm bolt throwers pointing at me one of which is eventually going to hit me.

The best counter tactic is throwing your crate around until they run out of ammo or rely on very difficult attacks from the side. But this is usually too time consuming. I want to blast pesky MiGs out of the sky and not waste my time trying to reenact WW2!

Weirdly enough I've encountered this behaviour more than one in 083006 patched installs.

False interpretation or pure luck (for me)?

As for my arch nemesis, I'll put the Il-28 on the top of the candidate list.

I'll tell you why once you've stopped laughing.

Done? Alright, here it goes:

It's the fraking tail gunners. They're better shooters than any fighter jock and since an Il-28 normally isn't worth a missile shot (nope, not even a Sparrow!), I'll only waste 20mm shells on them. This means that I'll have to close in to gun range, which is leaving me on a diner plate for the guy in the back. And since Il-28 mostly come in packs of at least this means that there are at least four 23mm bolt throwers pointing at me one of which is eventually going to hit me.

The best counter tactic is throwing your crate around until they run out of ammo or rely on very difficult attacks from the side. But this is usually too time consuming. I want to blast pesky MiGs out of the sky and not waste my time trying to reenact WW2!

Funny that you don't want to shoot down bombers with tailguns using missiles... Sparrows and Sidewinders weren't developed to kill fighters, large formations of bombers were exactly what they were supposed to knock down. I like to save Sparrows for MiG-17s since they can be so difficult to kill with F-4s, but AIM-9Bs are almost useless against anything else, so I have no problems expending them on IL-28s.

For game purposes, I faced Il-28s a lot while playing campaigns in WoI and to win the mission I had to kill them quickly before they could drop their ordnance.

I generally popped off all of my sidewinders, then did high speed passes from almost beam angles and repeated them quickly by using the vertical.

With just a bit of practice, I can kill an Il-28 in a single high speed pass with precision gunner.

However, there is always a chance that I get too aggressive or the Il-28s get an angle on me first.

My Nemesis? Tail-gunners, Mig-17 to 25s, SAMs, AAA, and suicidal enemy AI planes.

Funny that you don't want to shoot down bombers with tailguns using missiles... Sparrows and Sidewinders weren't developed to kill fighters, large formations of bombers were exactly what they were supposed to knock down. I like to save Sparrows for MiG-17s since they can be so difficult to kill with F-4s, but AIM-9Bs are almost useless against anything else, so I have no problems expending them on IL-28s.

I know that missiles were developed for combatting bombers, yet I think that they are best used against fighters. Unless, of course, if there are nukes involved, then the bomber gets priority.

I spend most of my time in the Harrier campaign which takes place in 1978 and features the "little less useless" -7Es and -9Es. While still not the best weapons I find them useful enough against Fishbeds and Frescos (~33% hit probability), so I really rather waste them trying to blow those PITA fighters out of the sky instead of those bombers just to make sure that the other guy won't harass me the next time.

Maybe I should simply try to send my wingie against the Beagles while covering him from fighters. He's mostly just lurking around, unsuccessfully firing Sparrows against fighters and getting shot down anyways.

I generally popped off all of my sidewinders, then did high speed passes from almost beam angles and repeated them quickly by using the vertical.

With just a bit of practice, I can kill an Il-28 in a single high speed pass with precision gunner.

However, there is always a chance that I get too aggressive or the Il-28s get an angle on me first.

Well, I'm gonna try deflection shots from their 3 or 9 o'clock next time I encounter them.

Guns jamming in SF2. The M39, Mk.20, and some Russkie guns suck in this regard. I hate it when I have an enemy lined up perfectly, but if I so much as hint at turning my plane, the guns instantly jam:

"Colt Mk.20 20mm cannon jammed!"

"Colt Mk.20 20mm cannon jammed!"

I've had a lot of potential kills slip away because my damned cannons jammed again and I'm out of missiles. It's messed up a strafing run or two as well, including once where I was in a duel with a ZU-23 (guess who won?). I've begun adapting my flying style with planes equipped with jam-prone cannons. I try to shoot only when I'm close to straight-and-level and in much shorter bursts, but I've often ended up Swiss-cheesed by the victim's wingman because of this.

Tail gunners for me.

If the bombers are the primary target then I do use missiles on them.

But most of the time, it takes more than 1 missile to down a bomber. :sorry:

Mission first before anything else. :good:

SU-35 with the F-22 Raptor. I playeda round with both planes' Data files and the max G's they pull is 11 now. Boy it looks sick on fly-by camera when it looks like they stall in mid-air dueling.

Never been shot down by an R-77 though, just R-73s when I wasn't looking.

thay are MiG-29 And SU-27.

they have both power and turing, combined with Good BVR.

i get shot down BEFORE i can even lock them.

the only way to survive, for me, is to go under 200ft and break locks.

just a brief Pop-Up for some IR or active radar homing luanches, then back to the deck again, without radar again, and using jammers only if i'm tracked. Chaff and flares on a 5-second interval between drops, and prayers. Before, during and after flight.

And i survive just because game doesn't model Look-down/Shoot-down abilities