Sign in to follow this  
Silverbolt

3rd party terrains in SF2?

Sorry for the n00b question,i'm pretty sure it have been debated before, but i couldn't found anything about it

but...is it possible?

if yes, how? any link to point me?

thanks and sorry :yes:

Edited by Silverbolt

Just drag and drop. I got 10, 3rd party terrains in there. Just follow normal procedures for install.

As an example here is where the Vietnam terrain goes:

C:\Documents and Settings\Silverbolt\My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Vietnam\Terrains\VietnamSEA

Thanks guys!

what about this line?

"CatFile=..\IsraelME\IsraelME.cat"

this is what i got with afghanitain terran :(

failf.jpg

Edited by Silverbolt

I don't know....maybe move the IsrealME terrain folder over??? That should take care of the cat pointer issue

as to the "refernced memory at such-and-such a location", i get that occasionally, but usually only in Windoze Explorer. Possible bad sectors on the HD???

wrench

kevin stein

hmm....since I don't have any terrains that reference BACK to the IsrealME cat..... don't know what to tell ya.

I guess I'll just have to get Afghanistan and see for meself!!

wonder of something is changed, but why would the 'stock' and add-ons that have the cat reach-around pointers still work???

very odd... everything at the 08 level (and according to some of the ww2 players in SF2, even 06) should all be pretty much the same.

wrench

kevin stein

I don't know....maybe move the IsrealME terrain folder over??? That should take care of the cat pointer issue

as to the "refernced memory at such-and-such a location", i get that occasionally, but usually only in Windoze Explorer. Possible bad sectors on the HD???

wrench

kevin stein

I don't think it is a HD problem - looks more like a Null-Pointer.

Maybe he should let the cat link point to SF2's cat? (Don't have SF2, but it's maybe the desert terrain???)

I don't think it is a HD problem - looks more like a Null-Pointer.

Maybe he should let the cat link point to SF2's cat? (Don't have SF2, but it's maybe the desert terrain???)

i'll give a try

eh, now i think that an HD problem ..... just with this terrain ...

the israelme works ok, yes???

wrench

kevin stein

memory reference errors refer to ram not the hard drive. That would be a sector error. Windows' errors can be in technobabble, but their terminology is consistent. Memory = ram, storage = hard drive.

Run memtest86. If you pass that then its a software error. A lot of pre-built pcs use cheap ram and it can go bad. I know I have had to replace the memory on many machines.

Good info!

so, run memtest86 from the command prompt???

wrench

kevin stein

You boot w/ the Memtest86 CD to test your memory. Very useful program but can take a long time.

I dont think anything is wrong with your memory, if this is the only case you have a crash. It's just that SF2 can not find the data, where it is looking for it. So the application crashes when it references a nonexisting data block in memory. Or something like that :)

I just tried Afganistan in SF2:V and it loads good. I copied both Afghan terrain folder and IsraelME from WOI.

Only problem is, the airfields are not there; for some reason I blow up entering the mission. Other than that no CTDs here.

Edit; Interesting, like Wrench said perhaps the CatFile=..IsraelMe.cat reference doesnt work. No objects are around the terrain is bare naked.

ONLY After I copy all files extracted from IsraelMe.cat to the Afghanistan terrain, everything is right where it should be..

Edited by pureblue

Hmm...here's an I idea (stolen from JSF_Aggie), what about unpacking the isrealme cat, with the SF2 cat pk utility, then repacking it with the utility, with all the Afghan inis, and calling it "Afghanistan.cat"

or (dummy me) even simplier; like we did before pacth3, simply copy the israelme cat, and rename it inside the Afghan terrain folder??

wrench

kevin stein

well,quite weird what happened today....

now i can play in afghanistain with all other planes...Just the Su-17 Can't . :mellow:

Simples. Copy IsraelME.cat and drop it into the Terrains folder of SFP2... not in the mod folder, but in the core game folder... you follow? Next to the SFP2 Dessert.cat Then everything works just like normal with the ..\IsraelME\IsraelME.cat line in the terrain ini.

Just wanted to let you know that I just had a similar problem to SBs...excepting I didn't crash out. I moved "The Fighter Bowl" terrain over, as it loads fast due to so few terrain objects, and discoverd that there were NO terrain objects -no runways, no buildings ... just as one would expect with a wrong cat pointer.

Now, this terrains uses the GermanyCE.cat, AND the WoE GermanyCE terrain folder IS in the this/that/theother/Mods/Terrains folder .. but nothing show up. Swapping out for the Desert.cat, it all came back.

So, following KnX's advice, I moved the GermanyCE.cat to the Core Install ™, and viola!! It all came back, just like it always did before. I haven't tested this, but one can safely assume the same for the VietnamSEA.cat as well. Of course, this MAY mean 'double cats' for the Classic 4 terrains (meaning: one in the main terrain folder and one in the Core Install folder for those terrains that substitute). This may cause problems for people with limited hard drive space.

This is something that REALLY needs adding to the SF2 KB ... which in itself NEEDS working on by those SF2 Gurus. So much data in beginning to get lost before being codified ... and too many people, myself included, are having "issues" with the changeover

wrench

kevin stein

EDIT: now I wonder, if you can't SEPERATE the cat files from the terrain folders??? ... Simply edit the, say IsraelME.ini, fer example, adding the cat pointer line, and moving the IsrealME.cat into the Core Install's Terrains folder ....????

This is from My SF2Vietnam Install. I'm running "Green Hell2" with Brian32's Tiles with Comprnt's Airfield Lighting Mods....

vsea1.jpg

331KillerBee :wink:

The stock terrains (Germany, VietnamSEA) all work as advertised -when using ONLY those to fly in; with each of the terrains IN the /mods/terrains folder. That's no biggie; but those terrains WITHOUT cats, our addons, with the cat pointer lines, seem to not be. Well, at least for me (and apparently Silverbolt as well :biggrin: )

The question seems to be, "Is the cat pointer line activly working in these add-on terrains?" Right now, for me, it don't seem to be. BUT...moving the cat to the core installs DOES make it work.

OR, does the line need editing to point over to the /Mods/Terrains folder???

Just another oddity of the new series, perhaps?? :dntknw: My machine, for some reason, don't seem to like the new series too much ... loading time are realllly long on the stock desert terrain, and I get some flickering at the top of the menu screens when exiting the game. Could be just my machine; I know there's some internal 'issues' that I can't fix (or, narrow down TO fix! -- the diagnostician in me get quite frustrated!)

wrench

kevin stein

'thunder over vegas'?? interesting....

Just wanted to let you know that I just had a similar problem to SBs...excepting I didn't crash out. I moved "The Fighter Bowl" terrain over, as it loads fast due to so few terrain objects, and discoverd that there were NO terrain objects -no runways, no buildings ... just as one would expect with a wrong cat pointer.

Now, this terrains uses the GermanyCE.cat, AND the WoE GermanyCE terrain folder IS in the this/that/theother/Mods/Terrains folder .. but nothing show up. Swapping out for the Desert.cat, it all came back.

So, following KnX's advice, I moved the GermanyCE.cat to the Core Install , and viola!! It all came back, just like it always did before. I haven't tested this, but one can safely assume the same for the VietnamSEA.cat as well. Of course, this MAY mean 'double cats' for the Classic 4 terrains (meaning: one in the main terrain folder and one in the Core Install folder for those terrains that substitute). This may cause problems for people with limited hard drive space.

This is something that REALLY needs adding to the SF2 KB ... which in itself NEEDS working on by those SF2 Gurus. So much data in beginning to get lost before being codified ... and too many people, myself included, are having "issues" with the changeover

wrench

kevin stein

EDIT: now I wonder, if you can't SEPERATE the cat files from the terrain folders??? ... Simply edit the, say IsraelME.ini, fer example, adding the cat pointer line, and moving the IsrealME.cat into the Core Install's Terrains folder ....????

Yes, all needs to be done is to drop WhateverOriginalTerrain.cat into the core Terrains folder of SFP2, and in the mod Terrains folder for whatever terrain add ..\WhateverOriginalTerrain\WhateverOriginalTerrain.cat to the mod terrain ini. So my core Terrains folder contains the series 2 terrain cat for SFP2 and SFP2V + the additional cats from the Original versions of WOE and WOI. I haven't had any third party cloned Terrain cat files in the terrain folder since SP3, all that needs to be is the line: ..\WhateverOriginalTerrain\WhateverOriginalTerrain.cat just as it ever was.

But some of the newer people won't have a clue what we're talking about.. so for those: Open the terrain.ini eg. Lybia.INI and look for the line that says "CatFile", this line should resemble one of the following four options:

CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat

CatFile=..\GermanyCE\GermanyCE.cat

CatFile=..\VietnamSEA\VietnamSEA.cat

CatFile=..\IsraelME\IsraelME.cat

You can just copy the entire block and add \\ before all but one, kind of delete as appropriate, that is all that needs to be done to get the terrain in the mods folder to work, then it is just a matter of making sure that the terrain.cat actually exists in the core Terrains folder of the game (not the mods folder) Obviously you will have at least one terrain cat in the core terrains folder because each game comes with one! So if you have SFP2 you will have the Dessert.cat in the core terrains folder, if you have SFP2V you will have VietnamSEA.cat in there, for anyone with the original games, like WOE or WOI, simply drag and drop those games terrain cat into the core Terrains folder in lieu of the second gen versions as and when they appear they will go into this location, either way those ini lines above in the mods\terrains folder will work just as before. This isn't clear is it? Or is it? More Vodka needed.

This is from My SF2Vietnam Install. I'm running "Green Hell2" with Brian32's Tiles with Comprnt's Airfield Lighting Mods....

331KillerBee :wink:

The game only needs cat files in the core folder, but the second file, keep in the mods Terrains folder.. only the cat files need to go into the core game Terrains folder, and once there, don't need to be reproduced in the mods folder.

The game only needs cat files in the core folder, but the second file, keep in the mods Terrains folder.. only the cat files need to go into the core game Terrains folder, and once there, don't need to be reproduced in the mods folder.

Well, I find You can do it both ways.......My Mods work and I don't have any loose Files.......

Having it in the Core helps alittle in the Loading. Reading one .Cat as opposed to Two. But Old WOI .Cat's and WOE.Cat's would have to be Deleated once TK Releases the New Versions for SF2.

More vodka is DEFINATELLY needed. And I'm not a drinkin' man ... but I'm gonna start, no matter what my doctor says!! :rofl: But I like burboun better, is that ok??

I should have mentioned that I don't have 2:V yet, I was using the the WoV VN-SEA. And with the cat in the Core Install folder, it works perfectly as advertised, with the various cat pointer lines, like we been using for years.

KnX: superb!! :good:

wrench

kevin stein