Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

To get or not to get Vista is the question

Windows 7 doesn't really display any better compatability than Vista. I never found anything that I couldn't run under Vista, and 7 is the same. Realistically, if Vista SP2 and Windows 7 could be blind tested I don't think anyone would be able to consistently tell one from the other.

As I work in IT and have had access to Vista XP and Windows 7 and compared them like for like on same spec PC's I would wait for 7 when it comes out...

Windows 7 doesn't really display any better compatability than Vista. I never found anything that I couldn't run under Vista, and 7 is the same. Realistically, if Vista SP2 and Windows 7 could be blind tested I don't think anyone would be able to consistently tell one from the other.

Yeah the compatibility issues people love to talk about when trashing Vista are in 99,8% related to specialized buisness software, not common user applications.

When I say specialized, I mean really specialized for example a system that tracks sales of tickets for a major bus or train company and stuff like that. Those apps are so tightly written for XP they simply refuse to work on Vista, however MS claims that Win7 should be better for it and they even have some kind of special error reporting and stuff for that

But anyway nothing that should concern common home users...

I never had Vista, didn't care about, too big XP fan. Now since HDD crash I'm all Seven, build 7100 -no problems, all works fine, (few and older) games running w/o problems. New system was another reason I abandoned "old" series and moved to nextgen only.

Well, in running games from around the 1998-2000 timeline, it has been a ROYAL pain with Vista; my friend and I were trying to fire up Diablo II for the first time in years; got right off the ground in Win7; with Vista, it took about 45 minutes of research and even then it functions only in windowed mode, running as administrator. Similar problems exist with MechWarrior 3 in Vista. Of course, not many folks probably run these programs anymore, but it takes less to get them to run in Win7 than Vista.

Yeah the compatibility issues people love to talk about when trashing Vista are in 99,8% related to specialized buisness software, not common user applications.

When I say specialized, I mean really specialized for example a system that tracks sales of tickets for a major bus or train company and stuff like that. Those apps are so tightly written for XP they simply refuse to work on Vista, however MS claims that Win7 should be better for it and they even have some kind of special error reporting and stuff for that

But anyway nothing that should concern common home users...

A good example is our record-keeping software which was developed in-house. It has problems with both Vista and 7 because of the tightened security at the folder level.

Oh, the horror stories of getting old crap to run on Vista with all the DoD's wonderful security on top of it that I could tell you! But I won't, because I'm trying to bury the memories, repress them such that they won't surface until I'm on my death bed, and hopefully by then I will be incapable of recollection...

It's well known that Vista is crap for gamers. For that reason alone, (and there are a few others) I can safely say that Vista is not a good OS. Never was, never will be. Period.

Win95, Win98, XP and now Win7 are all the OS anybody ever needed since 1995. Anything else in between was either superfluous or a waste of money. Unless one enjoys collecting OS's.

Well, since I started this topic, I have read all of your comments and have come to the conclusion that........ I will wait for Windows 7. But should I wait to get SFP2:E until then? Hmmmmmmm.... difficult question to answer indeed. Just kidding.

Once I get internet hooked up at my place, I will purchase it off the Thirdwire site immediately. Then comes the most tedious part, converting all my SFP1 stuff for SFP2:E. I haven't used the sim for about 4 months and I'm starving to get back at it again. Not to mention 3D max as well. All I've been doing is Rainbow 6: Vegas 2 on the 360... which I beat in about a week and a half. Not much of a challenge there.

Guest hardy_

If your a poptart eater and have no job, go buy Vista.

If your a poptart eater and have no job, go buy Vista.

Let's try to keep this relatively informative and relatively accurate.

It's at 1.5 Petaflop now......Uses large Nitrogen Tanks to cool it......

Edited by 331Killerbee

Well my ATI 4850 is 1teraflops capable...one would think I should run SF nicely on it but...

Yes, but what about your CPU? You can put the suspension from a Ferrari into a VW and you're not going to get a VW that drives like a Ferrari, just a slightly better VW. :wink:

To be accurate, the good OS were 95B, 98SE, and XP SP2. I also ran the original releases of 95 and 98 and XP (then SP1) and all of them were BSOD city. I never saw a reason to run 2k at home and ME was just worthy of laughter.

Don't worry I have matching CPU and RAM ;)