Sign in to follow this  
BigJim

My Strategy for winning the war

I have been steady in placing pilots into their prison camps, these chaps are heavy eaters and will wipe out their entire supply of bangers in no at all :biggrin:

Add to that my strategy of permanently vertically parking my aircraft all through their airfields and soon they won't be able to have enough room to take off with any of their own planes! Brilliantly sneaky, if I do say so myself.

Hellshade

Hey - that throws a new light on "your" winnin' the war, indeed!

I always knew, it couldn't have been better piloting. :biggrin:

Hey - that throws a new light on "your" winnin' the war, indeed!

I always knew, it couldn't have been better piloting. :biggrin:

Oh but it WAS better piloting my friend. How else could I vertically plant my crate right smack in the center of the bosche airfields? That's part of the secret to our success. We make you feel overconfident while simultaneously lowering your ability to fight. :haha:

Hellshade

Hm - well - yes, indeed - vertically flying is impossible with my Albatros.

The wings always come off, when I do that (but Pol said, that's normal).

Hm - well - yes, indeed - vertically flying is impossible with my Albatros.

The wings always come off, when I do that (but Pol said, that's normal).

Well there you have it, my friend. Allied aircraft were built to keep the wings on as long as possible for the purpose of helping to help extend out from the point of impact and block the maximum amount of enemy runway per vertical plant. Now, no offense intended, but had you bloody Huns been that clever, things might have turned out differently for you. Instead, while you focused on fighting in the air with your twin gunned areoplanes, I have been busy making sure they never get off the ground to fight. Between that and BigJims prisoner pilots eating all of the food, you never had a chance. It's ok to be in awe of such a rare combination of "brilliance" and dedication. No hard feelings, right? :rofl:

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

The "brilliance" and "dedication" of the Brits - tch! How do you call it?

"Target: Turnips!" or "...and if our crates are only good for blocking runways" ?

The turnips will come out of your ears, Herr Saboteur, whilst we have Caviar and Champagne,

Coq-au-vin and Bordeaux, Crepes Suzette and Sauternes! Cest la vie, as the French say!

And: enjoy your flatulences - the result from eating too many turnips.

Edited by Olham

I have been steady in placing pilots into their prison camps, these chaps are heavy eaters and will wipe out their entire supply of bangers in no at all.

BigJim, my longest lasting DiD pilot tried that same strategy, but managed to escape after about three months and should soon be able to give Hellshade's idea a try. :biggrin:

BTW, you can read about Squadron Commander Albertson's daring adventure in his latest letter to his brother in the "Reports From the Front" section.

Cheers!

Lou

Your pathetic Entente plots will fail miserably - the fertile fields of the German Empire can always produce more turnips than you can possible consume!

Your pathetic Entente plots will fail miserably - the fertile fields of the German Empire can always produce more turnips than you can possible consume!

NUCEAR WEAPONS, then NO MORE TURNIPS for ANYONE :rofl:

I seem to be poisoning the enemy soil trying to hit small targets like a single AA gun. I'm hitting a lot of ground around them but seldom a direct hit to such tiny objects. I'm sure this will produce lead tainted food eventually. But will it happen soon enough? :dntknw:

The "brilliance" and "dedication" of the Brits - tch! How do you call it?

I'm not a Brit, but always I play one in Over Flanders Fields. Can't pilot a damn Spad to save me.

Hellshade

Try the Camel then - some American squads in BHaH use Camels.

When you enter a new pilot, click through the Squads, until you see one with Camels (that's listed on the right side).

Try the Camel then - some American squads in BHaH use Camels.

When you enter a new pilot, click through the Squads, until you see one with Camels (that's listed on the right side).

I trying a Sopwith Triplane right now. RNAS 1. Just flew up against a bunch of Alb DIIs. I must say we had the advantage in manuverability and cleared them out of the sky nicely. The tripe is my new favorite plane. Not quite as manueverable as the Camel but close and better view.

Hellshade

Yes, a Tripe is better in all respects, than an Albatros - and if you have the twin guns version,

then even in firepower.

Well, the view is better on my craft - Albatros offers a view unbeaten by any of the other craft.

But you should be able to do nicely.

Edited by Olham

Well, the view is better on my craft - Albatros offers aview unbeaten by any of the other craft.

The Pfalz has even better visibility, or that's how it feels to me at least. The upper wing of the Pfalz is very cleverly designed, providing the pilot with great forward visibility. The Albs are of course better in every other way, except wing strength and maybe stability. What I like perhaps the most about German scouts in addition to their extra firepower is their excellent cockpit visibility compared to almost every Allied plane. :yes:

Yep - Pfalz may be even better, Hasse, but so damn hard to fight something with.

Yep - Pfalz may be even better, Hasse, but so damn hard to fight something with.

Having flown the Pfalz D3a often I can't help but think it's Flight model is off. A late 1917 or early 1918 German campaign is not for the faint of heart. It's too slow and fly's like a truck.

Well, it doesn't seem to have been an improvement of the German fighter force.

English Wikipedia says about it:

Deliveries to operational units began in August 1917. Jasta 10 was the first recipient of the new aircraft, followed by Jasta 4.

While markedly better than the earlier Roland designs, the D.III was generally considered inferior to the Albatros D.III and

D.V. German pilots variously criticized the Pfalz’s heavy controls, low speed, lack of power, or low rate of climb compared to

the Albatros. The D.III slipped in turns, leading to crashes when unwary pilots turned at very low altitudes.

Moreover, the Pfalz stalled sharply and spun readily. Recovery from the resulting flat spin was difficult, though some pilots

took advantage of this trait to descend quickly or evade enemy aircraft.

The Pfalz’s primary advantage was its strength and sturdiness. The Albatros scouts were plagued by failure of their single-spar

lower wings. The Pfalz, however, could safely dive at high speeds due to its twin-spar lower wing. For this reason, the Pfalz was

well-suited to diving attacks on observation balloons, which were usually heavily defended by anti-aircraft guns trained to the

balloon's altitude.

D.IIIa

The most pressing complaint about the new Pfalz was that the guns were buried in the fuselage, preventing pilots from clearing

gun stoppages in flight. This feature had been carried over from the earlier Roland designs.

In November 1917, Pfalz responded by producing the slightly modified D.IIIa, which relocated the guns to the upper fuselage

decking. The D.IIIa was distinguishable by its enlarged semicircular horizontal stabilizer and cropped lower wingtips.

It also featured a more powerful version of the Mercedes D.III engine.

Pfalz built approximately 260 D.III and 750 D.IIIa aircraft. Most were delivered to Bavarian Jastas.

Once Pfalz completed the final batch in May 1918, production shifted to the D.IIIa's successor, the D.XII.

Some aircraft from the final D.IIIa batch were delivered to Turkey.

As of 30 April 1918, 433 D.IIIa scouts were still in frontline use. By 31 August, that number had declined to 166.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfalz_D.III#D.IIIa

Edited by Olham

Frauleins and Kinder, UncleAl - children working in ammo factories. All your fault!

(Well, and Widowmaker's, Lou's, Siggi's, etc. etc. etc.)

Yep, the Pfalz D.III and D.IIIa weren't the best of fighters when they were introduced. But they were used by quite a few Jastas (Bavarians mostly, but also the Marine units and some quite elite outfits, like Jasta 10) because the Germans needed all the planes they could get, and the Pfalz was a tolerable fighter with the right tactics. I've found they fight well against two-seaters and the Spads, but turn fighting must be avoided at all costs. The Pfalz D.XII that came into service with the Bavarians in 1918 was clearly a better fighter, quite fast and tough as a Spad. I hope to see the D.XII in OFF some day - those Bavarians who don't get the D.VII need something newer than the older Pfalz or Albatros. :yes: