Sign in to follow this  
SFP1Ace

Is F-16 the only modern US jet fighter to have "blocks"?

I'm really curious about it cause there's a big difference in capabilities between first F-16 C/D block 25 and,say, block 52+. Now what about f-15 or f-14? Where there any "blocks" for them? Or is F-15C from '79 exactly the same as the current ones that serve in US airforce? (in terms of avionics, capabilities, etc.)

Thank you for any informative answers :biggrin:

'Blocks' as designations for subvariants have been around for a LONG time. Sometimes, they're minor TO changes, other times (like the F-16) they can designate very different capability upgrades.

Sometimes they also can be designated as 'Lots'...I think the USN does this.

Heck, you can even use letters. The B-1B has used letters to designate Block upgrades...I left just as they were starting Block C, and I believe they are up to Block F.

Blocks can also be in single digits...the T-38C is on Block 7 of it's current avionics software. Both the Bone and T-38C are examples of having 'Block' upgrades without actually having a new production line of aircraft.

Speaking of which, the old A model went all the way to Block 85 on it's initial production run.

Short answer, yes, other aircraft use 'Blocks' but there is no standard implementation.

FC

Thanks, that's very interesting! Unfortunately my best source of information is wikipedia which is not bad, but lacks so detailed information. Could anyone recommend me any books (prferably available on ebay or amazon ;) ) which would further my education in cold war/modern jet fighters field?

And again thanks in advance :smile:

Ur right on the money FC, Navy and USMC Airplanes are Lots.

The F-14's used blocks as well.

Ur right on the money FC, Navy and USMC Airplanes are Lots.

Not completely true either. Some aircraft in the US Navy and USMC aircraft operate in blocks as part of thier offical designation. For example the EA-6B ICAP II has had four different blocks (82,86, 89, 89A) and are referred to as such in offical documentation.

I think some of the F-18 aircraft are also divided into blocks, mostly minor changes that dont require a new variant.

The F-4 also had block variants, at least USAF versions. I believe Block 60 was the last F-4E block for the USAF.

B-2s and F/A-18E/Fs come in blocks too. I think we're getting ours from the Block II run. And then you have European and French use of "Tranches", most notably for the EF-2000 and Rafael.

The KC-135Rs are up to Block 40.4. The .4 signifies some software updates to the basic Blk40 upgrade to the entire aircraft.

B-2s and F/A-18E/Fs come in blocks too. I think we're getting ours from the Block II run. And then you have European and French use of "Tranches", most notably for the EF-2000 and Rafael.

the offered F-18E/Fs to Brazil were the Block II wich cames with AESA radar....

also, IIRC, Brazil Air Force brought some AGM-84 Block II to be used with P-3s....

here are an article about AGM-84 ''Blocks'' and variants

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/agm-84.htm

also, IIRC MBDA was offering an upgrade for the Exocet called ''Block III'' also,but i have no more informations about it....

Edited by Silverbolt

F-15C Eagle is the final air to air superiority version of F-15 Eagle.I have no idea about "block" at F-15 Eagle.In F-16 serie "block" have same meaning like "level" or "upgrade level". F-16C block 50/52 is the final version of F-16(F-16E/F and F-16XL programs were cancelled).

Aren't Arabs buying F-16E/F (block 60)?

came into this one a bit lat but some comments on the above

block 60 was the final block for the F-4 althogh the last signifigant modifacation that made it into production line was Block 48 which saw the leading edge slats and longer gun barrel housing installed. ARN-101 and F-4Gs were modified at Ogden ALC in Utah

F-15Cs have gotten many upgrades over the years to make them more capable including helmet mounted sights and AESA radar. i believe there is some talk about doing software upgrades to allow them an air to ground role even but not for sure on that

as for the block 60 vipers, they were sold to the UAE and are actually some what more capable than Block 52's with overwing conformal tanks AESA and i think they built Sniper XR capable from the get go rather than retrofit like USAF fleet. however i dont think the USAF was too worried as by the time they reached IOC with them we had at least a squadron of Raptors ready to go.

just a few thoughts while i broke off for chow.

Aren't Arabs buying F-16E/F (block 60)?

The latest and most advanced version of the F-16 is the F-16E and F-16F which are both Block 60s - they are currently in service with the UAE AF

Lockheed Martin have proposed a similar version for India which may even be classed as a Block 70 if they get the contract.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=181009&g2_serialNumber=2http:

Edited by MigBuster

The latest and most advanced version of the F-16 is the F-16E and F-16F which are both Block 60s - they are currently in service with the UAE AF

Flown with several of those guys already.

FC

Flown with several of those guys already.

FC

Don't suppose they offered you a ride in the F-16E/F? :biggrin:

They forgot to bring them over... :biggrin:

That's one of the really neat parts of this job, I've instructed/flown with folks from ALL sorts of places, having operated all sorts of machines. From MiG-15s to Space Shuttles, kids with barely 70 hours in ANYTHING, to generals who have more hours in more machines that I can count, folks born in the bible belt to Singapore, etc.

FC

The Raptor also uses Block numbers, from what i have read at http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...rcraft/f-22.htm they are working on Block 30s now.

Heres a Quote...

* The Block 10 Initial Operational Capability configuration, to be fielded this year, will be multirole, with the option of four AMRAAMs being replaced by GBU-32 JDAMs. This provides an analogous deep-strike capability to the F-117A, but is more survivable.

* The Block 20 configuration is the baseline for the Global Strike Task Force (GSTF) fleet, and will include JSF common radar modules, a dedicated high-speed radar processor, and COTS technology CIP processors. The GBU-39/40 Small Diameter Bomb is introduced in the Block 20 aircraft by 2007, together with high resolution SAR radar modes, improved radar ECCM, two way voice and data MIDS/Link-16 capability, improved crew station software, and improved electronic countermeasures.

* The Block 30 configuration, planned for 2008-2011, extends the growth seen in the Block 20. Side-looking radar arrays provide a significant ISR capability in the aircraft along with enhancements to provide full Wild Weasel air defence suppression and time-critical target engagement capabilities. A Satcom terminal will provide continuous network connectivity during deep-strike profiles.

* The post-2011 Block 40 aircraft is intended to be the definitive Global Strike configuration, with incremental enhancements to Block 30 additions providing full sensor networking, range enhancements, integrated ISR capabilities, and a Helmet Mounted Display similar to the JSF.

* Longer term planning for a Block 50 envisages an Electronic Attack variant, replacing the lost EF-111A Raven. A stealthy stores pod for JDAM and SDB is under development to enable carriage on external pylons. As a strike aircraft the F/A-22A will have similar internal payloads to the JSF, but will be vastly more survivable due to better stealth.

Well that has to be outdated as they don't call it the F/A-22A anymore. :wink:

However, with under 200 planes I doubt it will get all these specialized abilities. I can see the ground attack role being increased as it has de facto replaced the F-117, including some limited SEAD/DEAD missions against the toughest targets, but it won't be filling any EF-111 shoes.

Hornets and SuperHornets also have "Blocks" and "Lots".

Is the current block/lot system similar to the one used in, say, ww2? Like P-51D-5, D-20... It is correct to write F-16C-50?