Sign in to follow this  
MaverickMike

Afghanistan

They do a similar event at Bagram, the "Fallen Hero Ceremony" where people line up along the route and pay tribute to the ones that fallen. Can be quite large depending on who's along the route, but it is a significant event on the airfield.

We've got one today

All UK servicemen/women that are KIA are brought back to RAF lyneham. The funeral precession then drives through the small town of Wootton Bassett. Every time a soldier is brought home the people of this small town line the streets and pay their respects to the fallen. It is truly moving to see all the people of this town standing on the streets and giving the soldiers the respect they deserve.

Mike

Hi ,

Yes i agree with what you say the media are always looking to make stories sound worse than they are and looking for a scandal to dig there teeth in . If only more of these hacks were prepared to do what Ross Kemp did , actually go out there and be with the troops and see it from there side as no one really knows the real situation out there than the men and women doing the job on the ground . It is incourageing to see the people of Wotton Bassett and many others from else where lineing the streets to pay there respect to the fallen . Also the " Help the Hero's " charity is getting plenty of support . I think other than the media most of the general public support the armed forces out there , after all as an ex serviceman myself i know you dont get to pick your deployments . And wether you agree with the war or not , they are still our people out there doing a job and its still our people that are getting injuried or worse . For all those out there that put the forces down , just remember its your choice as a free nation not to join the forces and to voice your opinion . However just think for a moment , if it wasnt for the Armed Forces would we have this choice ? ( WW2 if we had lost ? ) and thank god there are plenty of people who still join and do what some times can be a thankless task , because it wasnt that long ago that national service was in force . So to those that put the forces down just take a moment and remember that although they may be in Afghanistan or Iraq or the former Yugoslavia or the may other places the Forces go , and wether you agree with the politics behind it all these people when the crunch comes are the ones that protect you and some times give their all . And if your angry or dissagree with a war dont direct it at the armed forces , direct it at politicians as they are the ones that decide these things but dont actually go to these places . Oh and dont forget in peace time the armed forces helped with the fire strikes , the floods and many other incidents . So think on , while the media play their political games just think of what it might be like for a memeber of the armed forces and put yourself in their shoes .....and although maybe you can never really know for real what it must be like just think how lucky you are that you dont have to be in their shoes by your own choice ....a choice which we have as a free nation because men and women in history joined the armed forces and fought for our rights .

Nathan

The media is a business... just like any other business, the goal is to make money... what's the other option? A state controlled press... over my dead body...

On the other hand, I am fortunate to live in Israel, where support for the military, in the press and population, is very high.

I would like to share a brief story that I believe is related: In 2006, fresh out of basic, i was deployed with my unit of combat engineers to southern Lebanon... we were among the earliest ground troops deployed in the war and we served until the war ended 34 days later. I was lucky enough to receive a 30 day leave to visit my family in the States after the war (i live alone in israel, my entire family remains in the US where I was born and raised). Upon arriving in the Atlanta airport, I started a conversation with a fairly attractive young woman. When she asked what I was doing in Atlanta, I explained that I had come to visit my family on leave from the army... next thing I knew, this woman was staring at me as if i was pure evil... she called me a murderer... I was stunned... Here is this woman who has NO IDEA what it's like, never had a friend or family member threatened by this human tragedy we call war...Who was she to judge? The medea give people that soldiers kill and fight because we want to... because we're bloodthirsty... Nothing could be farther than the truth, only those who have experienced those horrors can truly understand...

I pray every day for our soldiers and those of our allies....

Well could just say thats women for ya :)

You are right people over here cant understand - and do take this current social climate for granted. Theres plenty like that in the UK - just don't take it personally - especially if they are obviously that naive to the point they believe the press.

The media is a business... just like any other business, the goal is to make money... what's the other option? A state controlled press... over my dead body...

On the other hand, I am fortunate to live in Israel, where support for the military, in the press and population, is very high.

I would like to share a brief story that I believe is related: In 2006, fresh out of basic, i was deployed with my unit of combat engineers to southern Lebanon... we were among the earliest ground troops deployed in the war and we served until the war ended 34 days later. I was lucky enough to receive a 30 day leave to visit my family in the States after the war (i live alone in israel, my entire family remains in the US where I was born and raised). Upon arriving in the Atlanta airport, I started a conversation with a fairly attractive young woman. When she asked what I was doing in Atlanta, I explained that I had come to visit my family on leave from the army... next thing I knew, this woman was staring at me as if i was pure evil... she called me a murderer... I was stunned... Here is this woman who has NO IDEA what it's like, never had a friend or family member threatened by this human tragedy we call war...Who was she to judge? The medea give people that soldiers kill and fight because we want to... because we're bloodthirsty... Nothing could be farther than the truth, only those who have experienced those horrors can truly understand...

I pray every day for our soldiers and those of our allies....

Nobody said Soldiering was easy man, but there's always those who do appreciate the hard work we've done, so don't let it get to you. I sure as hell don't!

:good:

This story is exactly the point I ws trying to raise in the first place. This lady is obviously highly influenced by the press. I bet that she has no idea of the good things that soldiers do. Indeed if it wasnt for past soldiers then maybe she would'nt have the freedom of speech to be able to call a member of the armed services a murderer. I just hope that the majority of other people do not begin to come around to this persons way of thinking.

Mike

Nobody said Soldiering was easy man, but there's always those who do appreciate the hard work we've done, so don't let it get to you. I sure as hell don't!

:good:

And I want You to know how Proud I am of You Army Personnel and the Marines and the Job that Ya'll have preformed and are still conducting on Our behalf. It makes an Retired Marine like Me think that Our service was not in vein. Our lessons learned and Traditions passed down hopefully have made the chances of sucessful Missions better, And have somewhat prepared Ya'll for Your Missions as the Vietnam Vetreans did for Us through their experiences.

I myself, Never consider the Media as "In the Know". I look at their Stories as a Glass "Half Full".

It's Men and Women such as Yourself that makes Me proud to be an American. You People do it on a daily basis.

And I don't take it for granted the Job You People do on Our behalf........

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee

War is a means to a political end. If we are in a war,that means that the politicians failed miserably in doing their job.

As Gen Robin Olds stated "Peace is Not our Profession!"

The military is there to protect the US,it's people and it's interests.

The last War the US fought to protect those rights was WW2.

Every other one was to help free some poor SOB who was being stomped on.

Unfortunately the media moguls who own the press think they can make US policy by influencing public opinion. They don't want to report the news,they want to MAKE the news to their liking.

So,if you are a reporter,you report what they want or you are gone.

IMHO let them imbed reporters. Have them sign a waiver that if something happens to them,the military is not responsible. Otherwise,here is an M-16 and you go in Sgt So and So's squad as a replacement rifleman and you do what he says. Fight first and report later.

It takes 3 good Marines or Soldiers to take care of one reporter.

This topic is one of my huge pet peeves.

OK Rant over!

What surprises me is when I was in college, I never saw this sort of extreme leftist/anti soldier sentiment. I went to college right after the 1st Gulf War, and Clinton was elected my 2nd year, but it just wasn't very political then. It's almost like the 60s again now, where every student or recent graduate thinks THEY have the answer to the world's problems.

I didn't know anyone in my graduating class who thought that about ANY topic!