Olham

OFF Forum Pilots Maps

Update 07/31/09 14:50

K.Lynn, Georgia, added.

Sorry about posting you again, Bigfish2 - you were already on the map.

The maps are in post #1 of this thread.

Update 07/31/09 21:42

vschoell, Germany, added

The maps are in post #1 of this thread

Update 08/01/09 00:22

gandi, England, added.

Update 08/01/09 01:00

Doublestop, England, added.

Update 08/01/09 11:12

Stapme, England, added.

Schnitzel von Krumm, Ontario, added.

Olham, sorry you had to PM me for my location! Thanks for adding me; I've just realised now I look at your maps what a great idea this is, and actually rather moving seeing all these good people all over the globe united in our common interest, and hardly a cross word ever on the Forum! Keep up the good work.

Update 08/02/09 00:48

Quaffit, Luxembourg, added.

Rugbyfan1972, England, added

Luxembourg, now we're penetrating the market. Welcome aboard Quaffit.

So we do not loose track of all the work here how about making this a sticky somewhere?

That way it can be addd to over time without searching for it.

How about a general links sticky post for all reources for OFF.

Cheers MarkL

Update 08/02/09 14:00 The maps are in post #1 of this thread

hoongadoonga, Missouri, added.

Revthought, California, added.

You are right, it should and hopefully will be placed somewhere, but OvS has only a limited space for "stickies".

Maybe we put it into one of them later. As long as the updates go/more people join, it will appear again regularly.

Edited by Olham

Hmm, I wonder whether I'm the northernmost OFF player in the world. Capt. Winters seems to be the southernmost.

I keep wondering what's going on in England???

The OFF density there is outstanding

Africa, Aussie, and N & S America's distributions seems to relate to their population centers and involvement (or lack of) in WWI

Europe OTOH is highly biased towards Britain

If it's a language thing, then their may be many more OFFer's in France/Germany/Italy that aren't represented here

Or is OFF just not reaching non-English websites?

Many English speaking members (even RB players) report having no knowledge of OFF until stumbling upon it

How much harder would it be for Non-English speakers to stumble upon OFF?

France is especially surprizing as the war was parked in her lap for 4 years!

Just some food for thought :dntknw:

I keep wondering what's going on in England???

The OFF density there is outstanding

Africa, Aussie, and N & S America's distributions seems to relate to their population centers and involvement (or lack of) in WWI

If it's a language thing, then their may be many more OFFer's in France/Germany/Italy that aren't represented here

Many English speaking members (even RB players) report having no knowledge of OFF until stumbling upon it

France is especially surprizing as the war was parked in her lap for 4 years!

Just some food for thought :dntknw:

I must say that I've had the same thing in mind. I am really suprised about France. You make very good points Duce. Like you I wonder if there is a languge block or something that needs to be done to spread the word amongst our French brethern?

Edited by Rickitycrate

Well, I know at least of one German guy who bought Phase 3 but can not speak English and had a hard time to figure out even the menu items in OFF manager let alone the briefings in campaign. I steered him through it. Also I have set up a 'German corner' in my own OFF Forum at Wings Of Honor with Tips and Tricks in German.

I presume it is because us German W.W.I sim players being in an average age of 40 to 50 did have English in school way back but never needed it in their life again thus they forgot most of it. They never experienced troubles with PC software (applications and such) as all software has to be translated into German when a company wants to sell it in the shops in Germany, Austria and Switzerland with a potential of several million of customers (private and corporate also) or else no one would buy it. Only people like me who have to speak English daily with colleagues and customers around the world do not 'take offense' at an English piece of software.

Of course the above does not count for FPS players being much younger of age and having been raised in a time where English gets more and more emphasis by the Internet, TV commercials and such.

But I know of several German guys who would have bought OFF Phase 3 if it had been in German also but did not. They are waiting now for the German release of *insert name of recently released W.W.I flightsim here* being planned on end of August.

Hope this is some clarification on at least the German side of the matter. But I think similar applies for other European nations.

Cheers

That's great about that German corner in your "Wings of Honour", Gremlin.

I had thought about a German Thread here, and maybe a French. You and Creaghorn and I

could have introduced the non-English-speaking Germans. But I think, for the devs it would

have been too far beyond any control.

I read, that all websites have a "Quelltext" (don't know the English word - source text?),

in which you should place all words related to your subject, so the search machines like

Google would always find you. If you placed German and French words for biplanes etc.

in there, it might help.

I'd agree that language is the great barrier to more European pilots joining us.

I don't know what focus English language lessons have in their respective countries. If my French and German (largely forgotten now, expecially the grammar) are anything to go by, then they would probably be able to ask where the nearest hotel was, but not discuss 90 year old aero-engines.

Any steps to bring an even more international crowd together in pursuit of a common interest can only be a good thing.

Thanks for that link, Jim, didn't know that.

Maybe I can do some "propaganda" for our sim there!

Update 08/03/09

Luftace, Tennessee, added

nesop, Pennsylvania, added.

The maps are in post #1 of this thread - you enlarge them by clicking on them.

I presume it is because us German W.W.I sim players being in an average age of 40 to 50 did have English in school way back but never needed it in their life again thus they forgot most of it. They never experienced troubles with PC software (applications and such) as all software has to be translated into German when a company wants to sell it in the shops in Germany, Austria and Switzerland with a potential of several million of customers (private and corporate also) or else no one would buy it. Only people like me who have to speak English daily with colleagues and customers around the world do not 'take offense' at an English piece of software.

Great work on the website Gremlin!

Do you have any information on the number of German only OFFer's that frequent your site?

Hazard a guess on the number or percentage of Germans that won't consider OFF because of the language issue?

I like Olham's idea of multiple language Quell/Source Text

Multiple Language Software Menus might be a big task but a Conversion Manual might help

Great work on the website Gremlin!

Do you have any information on the number of German only OFFer's that frequent your site?

Hazard a guess on the number or percentage of Germans that won't consider OFF because of the language issue?

I like Olham's idea of multiple language Quell/Source Text

Multiple Language Software Menus might be a big task but a Conversion Manual might help

Sorry, I have no idea about the numbers. I only know about Jasta 99 which is the largest and most active W.W.I multi player squad with more than 50 members and all of them speaking German. I noticed some remarks from their members on their forum and also from other people across the various German flight sim forums about what a pity it is with OFF being available in English only. Jasta 99 comes from Red Baron 3D and now will join into RoF. Generally spoken flight simulation software on the German market will always be in German or the market will not accept it.

People in Germany learn at least one language in school with the main language being English. Everyone has to do that. But they forget it if they do not make use of it daily. And its true generally you will rather talk about the weather in English than having a conversation about aeroplanes of the Great War.

I think the devs will know how sales in the German speaking countries will compare to that in the native English speaking ones. Certainly the interest in W.W.I aviation in German speaking countries is not less than in other countries. Else Red Baron 3D would not have been such a great success here.

You should send a link to this post, to OvS or Pol, Gremlin - maybe worth to think about.

And I would offer my help with translations.

Generally spoken flight simulation software on the German market will always be in German or the market will not accept it.

These cultural differences between European countries are interesting. Here in Finland, nobody would even dream of localized versions of niche products like flight simulators. The most localization we usually get here is a translated manual or some short installation instructions, everything else is in English. Consequently I'm sure that every sim player here knows English at least relatively well - if they don't, they have the wrong hobby. :yes:

So language is not a problem here, but nobody seems to have heard about OFF when I mention it in some forum. And if they have, they aren't very eager to try it because they avoid CFS3 like the plague. I believe a digital distribution system would help sales a lot in countries far from North America.

Update 08/05/09 16:22 Berlin time

sharand , New South Wales, added.

Update 08/06/09 13:12 Berlin time

Dutch_P47M, Netherlands, added.