Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

Reason for screen name....

Have been doing flight sims and such since 1982 on an Apple2 and everything else since. When I first started on-line in CFS2, I started in the Zeke. Well I sucked early on in multi-player and 99% of my planes had the ugly black trail of smoke behind it. So my label then was TrailinSmoke. So TSmoke is just a shortened up version.

cos it soumds cool and its fun to saY,,,

go ahead, say it,,,

GGGWWWAAARRRR!

When I first joined something online that needed a username I drew a blank. I wanted to think of something cool and relevant, but I'm not very good at that sort of thing. It seemed to me that these usernames are a kind of riddle, really, as all the responses above show. One aspect of my professional life requires that I know ancient greek and one ancient greek word for riddle is "griphos" (transliterated of course). There you go. Seemed as good as anything and unlikely to be taken by someone else. I'll admit that I get a little kick out of the idea that people may try to figure out what the riddle of my username means, and it only means the word "riddle" itself. I've used it ever since because it's always available.

I think the funniest attempt at interpreting it was the guy who thought it spelled "grip ho's."

Edited by griphos

I have used 'Storkace' on a lot of forums, etc, but I figured if there was ever a forum where that name would already be taken, it would be here. So I decided on my current name as I live in the Badger State.

Probably too much information, but nickname was given to residents of this state due to lead miners from Cornwall living in the sides of hills.

Another was the Me-110 which was too heavy as a fighter, morphed into the '210' which was a money-pit-boodoggle, which became the '410' which finally flew. The problem seems to be that the 'suits' kept changing, or adding on, to the mission. A plane to please everyone, and failed at most everything.

Hmm, F111 Aardvark comes to mind

Conceptualized by wiz-kid businessmen

Probably too much information, but nickname was given to residents of this state due to lead miners from Cornwall living in the sides of hills.

There's no shame in being named for a badger. As I was wandering through Missouri one day, I came upon a badger and a skunk fighting. I have no idea what started it, and it was most unusual. Instead of being a contest of who could act the baddest and intimidate the other, this was a fight to the death. I just sat and watched, and neither noticed me.

The badger won a pyrhic victory. Besides countless other wounds, he lost his front right leg at the shoulder and bled to death shortly thereafter, not to mention probably being blind from the skunk emptying its magazine right in his face. But the biggest remaining piece of the skunk was about 2" long. I drink to that badger's shade, and the skunk's, too. Both were real warriors :drinks_drunk:

Edited by Bullethead

I am a United States Marine, and my nickname on all forums has always been Jarhead something or another, the private thing with the penguin is a joke with some others.

Guest British_eh

British_eh:

Since being a part of the P1 OFF, but the British, sort of on and off as I'm a British Subject, with parents, brother, and cousins all in " Blighty".

The eh add on is a Canadian quip, so I thought I'd just add the two :}

Cheers,

British_eh

Hi Guys,

I sat for a couple of hours trying to think of something "Clever" just for this game.

Not sure if it works or is seen as just silly!! :wacko:

On other forums I am "Toasted Toad" from Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth series.

Cheers,

T&FO.

Errrr what can I say - it's my name :smile:

If you want to use diacritics I suggest the free very small download of Allchars. It not only does über, also Göring, é, è etc. Also € and ¥ and other currency signs.

It is easy to use, you can guess the sequences most of the time, eg the u umlaut is <ctrl> " u, the Euro sign is <ctrl> = E

Mine started back (at the turn of the century :biggrin: ) when you needed a "handle" for the RB3D forums (the first forum I ever joined). I grew up in the Panama Canal Zone (a long time ago) and I used to have red hair (back then too), plus some people here in the US use to kid me in collage for the same reason, so I picked this as an identification on all the forums I belong too.

Edited by Panama Red

Windchill -

I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Our winter temperatures are below freezing, with negative (F) temps not at all unusual.

And then the wind blows and it gets really cold.

But Windchill started when I was in a Counter Strike clan named RAH (Real American Heroes - ala GI Joe) and our handles had to be characters from GI Joe, found Windchill, Michigan weather - name found!

Another convoluted story. :rolleyes:

Keep smilin'

Windchill

:biggrin: Old Tiger, because I am an Old tiger. :rofl: Check my age 71 Edited by Old Tiger

My Handle "OlPaint01"

When I was a youngster, I loved to watch the Cowboy Shot'm Ups on TV. The Lone Ranger show comes to mind. Lone Ranger had an American Indian as a companion (side-kick) by the name of Tonto. And Tonto rode a pinto horse named Scout. Scout was a rather small but sturdy mount but he always kept up with the Masked Man. As I grew older I started reading about the Cowboys and Indians of the Great American West. I learned about a famous cowboy cattle wrangler by the name of Charlie Willis. Willis rode a pinto that he named Ol'Paint. Of course, reading about famous American historical figures led me to my interest in the WWI Flying Aces, like Rickenbacker and Luke. Then I discovered M$ Flight Simulator with its primitive WWI Dog-fighter module. Then Sierra Red Baron grabbed me. Then Falcon 4.0. I was hooked. Of course, every well provisioned Fighter Pilot needs a call sign. Playing on my own family name, "OlPaint" came naturally. The trailing "01" means that I am the flight leader. So, there it is. :good:

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Nickname from my school and army days.

Surname - Bean

Nickname from my school and army days.

Surname - Bean

I bet you were thrilled when 'Mr Bean' hit our screens eh Beanie? :rofl:

I needed a nick for RB3D, and after a few minutes I saw a picture of a Typhoon fighter bomber on the wall and "voila" it has been that ever since.

Tony

Guest Barnstorm

Obvioulsy, I am a Joe Walsh fan. Growing up in NE Ohio, Joe Walsh and The James Gang played in small venues all over. Even though I was very under age, my cousin then in state law enforcement, seemd to get me in to see them play. If I stayed out of sight, and kept my mouth shut, things worked out O.K. Joe's band was called "Barnstorm" during his solo (?) career, before joining the Eagles. Also, since returning WWI aviators who made a living by performing exhibition/stunt flying were called "Barnstormers", seemed like a good fit.