1. 1. 7 Choices

• Wings - 1927 (Silent)
    • Hell's Angels - 1933
    • Dawn Patrol - 1938
    • The Blue Max - 1966
    • Aces High - 1976
    • Flyboys - 2006
    • The Red Baron - 2008

Does anyone know about a DVD version of that TV sries "Wings"? Perhaps in German even?

Does anyone know about a DVD version of that TV sries "Wings"? Perhaps in German even?

No chance Olham. I've been searching, and searching, and it was never released in DVD. It's frustrating since a lot of people mention this series as being one of the best in the genre. I've a copy in 5 DVD that was transfered from a VHS source. It's the best we can get. Maybe someday they will officially release it.

1. The Dawn Patrol : I still watch it on occassion (always wondered what planes they used in the film)

2. Hells Angeles: a wonder to behold and the actress in it was a delight to watch as well as the aircraft dog fights.

3. The Blue Max: Casting was excellent ,Aircraft and dogfights passable, Overall a visual treat (in 1981. I had the rare chance of seeing the actress in the film ( she was lost while driving a white VW bug ) she also was rare a visual treat.

P.S. I Would luv to have dvds of Red Baron , wings the T V series, Red Baron and Brown . If anyone runs across them please post it in the forum. Also althought its WW2 there was a little known British T V program about spitfire pilots in 1940.

Didn't you mix it up, Snoopy? The planes in Flyboys move unbelievable - most flying scenes in Red Baron

where pretty good (except that steep Albatros dive - that was b******t).

And with "Von Richthofen and Brown, I'm afraid you'll remain lonely here. I saw it in the seventies, but

have forgotten, how it was. Most here didn't like it.

No matter if i'm lonely with my opinion, i'm used to. :biggrin:

I think the evolution of minds about aerial warfare during WW1 is well sum up with "Von Richthofen and Brown".

They start with single "gentlemen" duels and chivalry they believed in, but eventually proceed in a total war, cruel, efficient, and based on group method.

Concerning "Der Rote Baron" (2009), i admit most of flying scenes are spectacular but planes fly like F-16 (same drawback on Flyboys) and i remember one scene showing Jasta 11 from above, Dr1 and Albatros in close formation above the front. I just can't believed in. The way they move is unrealistic to me.

But no more unrealistic as german pilots shaking their heads like crazy while aiming and firing their guns, like if they were shaked by the firing rate! (seen in Ace High).

I'd like to see a movie with real aerial scenes like we have seen in Angel's Wings (L'instinct de L'ange) especially in the final duel, or in the very old Hell's Angels, and with a real story to go with it.

We can see this with jet fighters movie: why can't we have the same, or better, with slower planes?

most of all the evil germans with no mimics at all. the main actors are very heroic and if they die, they die like heroes. the germans who die, mostly die like cowards or are screaming like women. maybe that would fit the old american western movies from the 40's and 50's, but at the time the movie was made they should have known better.

Well it makes a change for the Germans to be evil, normally all the 'baddies' in Hollywood movies have British accents :biggrin:

1. The Dawn Patrol : I still watch it on occassion (always wondered what planes they used in the film)

2. Hells Angeles: a wonder to behold and the actress in it was a delight to watch as well as the aircraft dog fights.

3. The Blue Max: Casting was excellent ,Aircraft and dogfights passable, Overall a visual treat (in 1981. I had the rare chance of seeing the actress in the film ( she was lost while driving a white VW bug ) she also was rare a visual treat.

P.S. I Would luv to have dvds of Red Baron , wings the T V series, Red Baron and Brown . If anyone runs across them please post it in the forum. Also althought its WW2 there was a little known British T V program about spitfire pilots in 1940.

carrick, The Brits are flying Nieuport 28's ...probably simulating Camels

The German kite dropping the Boots on the Brit Aerodrome is a Fok DVII

Not sure what the German kites are when Flynn & Niven attack their AF

They look like post war substitutes

The German kite dropping the Boots on the Brit Aerodrome is a Fok DVII

"REPORT BY MAJOR R.S. DALLAS

Flew over LA BRAYELLE aerodrome and fired on hangars on South Side of aerodrome to attract attention.

Dropped a parcel with the following message inside:-

"If you won't come up here and fight, herewith one pair of boots for work on the ground, pilot's for the use of".

Then flew in the mist till a party of men had collected to examine the parcel, when two bombs were dropped, one burst being observed near target.

Opened fire with both guns firing about 100 rounds when troops scattered. General panic ensued.

In The Field P.C.O Ridell, Capt. for Major

3/5/18 Commanding No 40 Squadron, R.A.F"

This rather humorous exploit has been attributed to many fliers. It appears as if Stan was the man.

I saw a magazine today that was detailing the aircraft used in the film "Darling Lili" (called "The Americanization of Lili" in America). Apparently VERY LOOSELY based on Mata Hari. Has anyone seen this film? Apparently a bit of flying involved. Don't know if it is just a bit of aerodrome action or any aerial scenes are involved.

They use a few Pfalz replicas built for "Blue Max" and set fire to a couple of mockups on the aerodrome. They also use several "mini SE5a's". I can only assume these are smaller scale replicas. Anyone know anything about them?

Some other, less flying involved perhaps , movies that come to mind.

The Eagle and the Hawk-Cary Grant and Fredric March

Lilac Time-Colleen Moore and Gary Cooper

Today We Live-Gary Cooper and Joan Crawford

Ace of Aces-Richard Dix

Captain Eddie-Fred MacMurray

Some of these have their moments of being quite good and are entertaining overall. For us Yanks these shows do get aired on Turner Classic Movies from time to time. I will keep an eye out and post notice on this forum.

Heres a trailer for a WW1 film called crossing the line by peter jackson. Its a short film, but it looks bloody good if you ask me.

Heres a trailer for a WW1 film called crossing the line by peter jackson. Its a short film, but it looks bloody good if you ask me.

Looks good to me too

Has it been released yet?

Historicity isn't The Dawn Patrol's strongest point. The intro text at the beginning says it's 1916, but you see Brit fighters with synchronized guns. Not only that, but most of them have *2* such guns, PLUS a 3rd gun on the upper wing :rofl: . I do agree that the Brit planes in the movie are N.28s, no doubt because the US had a fair number of them available cheap at the time. As to what they're supposed to represent, who knows?

They look to me like some type of Great Lakes, but I could easily be wrong.

Anyway, I've never much cared about such problems. They're no worse, really, than using more or less modified AT-6s for Zeros, SBDs, and FW-190s, or Bf-108s for Bf-109s, in WW2 movies.

I do agree with you and Duce Lewis...very interesting. :good:

It seems it's only a short movie to experiment the Red Digtal Camera, Hi-res (4520x2540), a brand new and costly technical jewel. Some say this short movie was shot in only two days! Hard to believe, but who know? :blink:

I do agree with you and Duce Lewis...very interesting. :good:

It seems it's only a short movie to experiment the Red Digtal Camera, Hi-res (4520x2540), a brand new and costly technical jewel. Some say this short movie was shot in only two days! Hard to believe, but who know? :blink:

Talking out my butt again but I understand this was produced directed by Peter Ring Trilogy Jackson and that he has a keen interest in WWI aviation and perhaps owns some replicas or some such thing that Check Six could shed some light on perhaps.

The Dawn Patrol is one of my favs. The lone bomb run at the end and the amount of damage done is a little over the top though.

It seems it's only a short movie to experiment the Red Digtal Camera, Hi-res (4520x2540), a brand new and costly technical jewel. Some say this short movie was shot in only two days!

Dare I dream that he is toying with the idea of shooting a WWI movie in HD Imax large screen format!!! Laaaa ahhhh ooooh ahhhh.... Sorry about that, I'll clean up the drool later.

Historicity isn't The Dawn Patrol's strongest point. The intro text at the beginning says it's 1916, but you see Brit fighters with synchronized guns. Not only that, but most of them have *2* such guns, PLUS a 3rd gun on the upper wing :rofl: . I do agree that the Brit planes in the movie are N.28s, no doubt because the US had a fair number of them available cheap at the time. As to what they're supposed to represent, who knows?

They look to me like some type of Great Lakes, but I could easily be wrong.

Anyway, I've never much cared about such problems. They're no worse, really, than using more or less modified AT-6s for Zeros, SBDs, and FW-190s, or Bf-108s for Bf-109s, in WW2 movies.

I popped my DP DVD back in to check this out

Unfortunately, it got stuck in the drawer ...so I had to watch the whole thing :whistling:

The Leader text stated that it's the RFC France 1915

Maybe that's when the book was based on, and there weren't enough early crates to make a movie

Doesn't bother me as the plot/storyline works anywhere 1915-18 anyways

The N.28 MG's raise some interesting questions

These N.28's are no doubt part of the 600 that the US purchased at wars end

Part of the specification was that the Lewis MG's be replaced with an American model

Did the specification change the mounting arrangement to the duel cowl mount?

I doubt it, as there's ammo and belt boxes to consider, and the Nupe doesn't have a lot of extra space

The top wing MG looks pure Hollywood and nothing like a Lewis

The drum fed Lewis is the only practical option as the thin wing has no space for ammo belts

Took a close look t the Hun crates too

Definately post war 2 seaters, but what, I have no idea

I saw a cover over the front cockpit in one of the shots

Most interesting shot was in Flynn's final battle with Von Richter

The 3 Huns are diving on his tail and he pulls the snappiest little barrel roll

Hope the Devs take a look at that when they're working up the FM for the N.28

Lot of FM questions on NACA specs, Pilot reports, etc.

Dawn Patrol and Hell's Angels have original planes with original motors and pilots

They deserve a good look

My favorite WW1 flying movie is for most The Blue Max, but for the lowly infantry it is pretty much a tie between All Quiet On The Western Front ( Original) and the fairly new Passschendale. ( for the battle scenes).

Duce,

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't seen Aces High, but caught a YouTube clip the other day, and went to Amazon to order a copy. They only had Region 2 DVD's but my player should be able to cope with multiregions. It was in PAL format too, so I'm lucky there. There was all sorts of emboldened and large font warnings that these won't play in most USA DVD players... NOT NTSC FORMAT!! etc. But I'll bet there's been several that have been caught out (there are two USED ones for sale).

Whilst I was ordering that, they came up with the old "People who ordered this product also enjoyed..." and there was "Dawn Patrol". So I ordered that too.

:biggrin:

Talking out my butt again but I understand this was produced directed by Peter Ring Trilogy Jackson and that he has a keen interest in WWI aviation and perhaps owns some replicas or some such thing that Check Six could shed some light on perhaps.

The Dawn Patrol is one of my favs. The lone bomb run at the end and the amount of damage done is a little over the top though.

Peter Jackson (a member of our little society, and an avid WW1 aviation enthusiast) does own a fair few WW1 replicas. He is a stickler for detail too, as I'm sure you all know just seeing his other films, so you can bet these are in both excellent detail and excellent condition. He builds static replicas for closeups, mockups to explode and crash, and flying replicas as well.

I have seen pics of the warehouse that he uses to store genuine guns and to house the DOZENS of replica guns he gets made up in the adjoining factory. My understanding is that he generally donates or lends the aircraft to Omaka Historical aerodrome (whatever its name is), and will ask for their return when he is ready to use them in a film.

He is obviously a whiz at Computer Generated Graphics (or has employed a team of suitably talented gurus), but you can guarantee that it will be of the highest quality available.

The film that he has produced "Crossing the Line" is a short film commission by the Australian War Memorial and used as a background to their "Over The Front" permanent exhibition.

http://www.awm.gov.au/visit/visit-mustsee-overthefront.asp

You can see the screen used in the background of the photographs from the AWM site. Its MASSIVE (something like 70 feet across) and the surround sound is (I was told) deafening. It is easily the high point of a visit to this magnificent Museum.

If you plan on going on holidays, cancel your plans, and come to Canberra instead. :good:

This will be well worth your visit. The AWM has many other great exhibits to entertain and inform you as well as this one, but I'm sure that for most of us, most of our time will be spent in the ANZAC Hall watching and drooling.

Edited by Check Six

Sshhhh.... a word to the wise. If you use DVDshrink (available freeware on the internet) you can shrink 8Gb DVDs down and write them on normal 4.7Gb DVDs. Also they come out with no region code (if you wish, and most people wish).

Ok, maybe you lose a bit of quality in the shrinkage, but I can't say I have noticed.

Dare I dream that he is toying with the idea of shooting a WWI movie in HD Imax large screen format!!! Laaaa ahhhh ooooh ahhhh.... Sorry about that, I'll clean up the drool later.

Herr Prop-Wasche,

The film mentioned earlier "Crossing the Line" shot with the highest definition camera around, DOES have a good deal of great WW1 aircraft and aerial battle footage, and IS shown on a very large screen at the Australian War Memorial.

Would you like a mop for that drool?

Oh. and Jim...I have used DVD Shrink before (Of course, just to back up movies I purchased, and were my own property and...AW! who am I tryin' to kid?). Seriously, my DVD player will be able to handle it, I'm sure. I've bought a couple of Pommy DVD's unsure about whether they'd work, and they did.