Sign in to follow this  
Stary

Stock terrains update and new effects pack

Looks great!

BTW, weren't you also working on some new tiles and trees for WOE/SF2E 4 Seasons?

Looks great!

BTW, weren't you also working on some new tiles and trees for WOE/SF2E 4 Seasons?

Malibu,

Yes I was, but that mod is on temporary hold. Have few other stopped in the pipe too. But the 1024x1024 WOE/SF2E repaint is not abandonned yet, just no release date i could promise currently. So "it's in the works", Combat Ace's 11th Commandment apply.

Edit: the 1024x1024 repaint for 4seasons took me soo long, as when I encountered terrible tile borders matching errors (those bloody roads and rivers!) I decided to redo most of the textures to prevent further bugs. Currently have other modding priorities. And "older, uglier" 512x512 4seasons is there to go with

Edited by Stary

That will be an awesome improvement to the down-low look and feel!!!

I can hardly wait to try it out. :pilotfly:

Now, if only hitting those trees would tear off the undercarriage, etc... [sigh] Gotta dream...

PS: is it only some distortion in the RoF screenie, or is that Nieup tail a bit too long? Please correct me.

Edited by B Bandy RFC

PS: is it only some distortion in the RoF screenie, or is that Nieup tail a bit too long? Please correct me.

Perhaps I zomed out slightly before taking that shot, model is correct

Hi Stary. Nice job. The trees look outstanding. You mention rivers. Is there a way to make sand or dirt colored banks along the rivers?

Man, can't wait to use your terrain, never seriously tried FE before but I'm really hooked now!

Looking very nice indeed, Stary!

Tailspin, stock terrain does indeed have some river bank, particularly visible in riverend. More gray than brown though. And Max's summer repaints, with the dryer, less blue color palette, have the banks more visible.

They're super easy to add, if you want them (at least in Photoshop): you can switch to the alpha channel, color-select the black (i.e. everything but the river), then Borderize the selection (by, say, 3 pixels?) and fill with black, then shift to RGB channels and fill with brown. Feather and tweak to taste.

(To not paint over the trees, you'd have to Expand the selection a bit before doing the border, that will take away only from the river). Be sure you do fill it with black in the alpha channel, though, or otherwise you won't see the new banks, they'll be under the water shader (and technically the alpha channel is inverted anway--it's the alpha channel for the water shader).

Thanks Nathan. Can you say that again in English? :biggrin: <jk>

This Alpha Channel stuff is what makes terrain design and tile construction so confusing for me. I have tryed to puzzle through Gepard's tutorials several times already and have given up. I don't think I have all the necessary tools. It is almost true that you need to be part of the "priesthold" and apprentice in the process to be successful.

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

The alpha channel is simply a mask, another invisible layer between the TGA where the river wave 'texture' is, and where there is land 'paint'.

It stops the waves from showing up on the land, where they shouldn't be.

Yes, you DEFINITELY need the proper tools: image software that handles layers and the alpha channel. It can't be done any other way (well, that's not exactly true but can't be done easily or be explain quickly), and it takes loads of trial and error, so patience.

No brotherhood (that implies religious zeal :angel:), but maybe a guild?:moil:

QUESTION: With Jan Tuma labouring on his New Tiles set, aren't you both working independently to improve/replace the same thing? Will your tree mod be compatible in his tiles etc? Not meaning to be a $h_t disturber, as I suppose more choices are always better, so just wondering.

Edited by Venator

QUESTION: With Jan Tuma labouring on his New Tiles set, aren't you both working independently to improve/replace the same thing? Will your tree mod be compatible in his tiles etc? Not meaning to be a $h_t disturber, as I suppose more choices are always better, so just wondering.

GIMP, PAINT SHOP PRO handle color channels fine.

Jan is working on his version, I do my own, so more choices. Jan's repaint is going to be 512x512, mine standard resolution.

GIMPshop is a PS-like wrapper for the GIMP, and I can state for a fact that it properly shows a TGA's alpha channel as a separate channel, not automatically applied as layer transparency as it sometimes is in other programs (and, annoyingly, in some versions of PS! But they also supply a different TGA plugin).

I've not seen any of Gepard's tuts, OlPaint01--is there anything in particular painting-side that's giving you trouble?

No priesthood, no guilds (ni César ni tribun). Just takes some experimenting and some practice. And, yes, very definitely proper tools. Even if it's possible to do some of the things you have to (or want to) in more stripped-down programs, it's way more work and time.

(For example, the steps I mentioned earlier can just be recorded as an action and batch-applied to all TGAs in the terrain--about 3-4min to choose a color that blends well and the right amount to feather/blend, another minute or two to record the actions and start the batch job, and that's all the human intervention required to add all those shores)

V 1.0 uploaded, waiting for a go from moderators. Please read the included readme :good:

Very good news. Can`t wait seeing it.

Thanks for your work!!:good:

Best regards

New effects pack uploaded too. You can find it in Objects mods download category, not weapons mods -my mistake

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Will install as soon as I get home. :yes3: :good::ok:

Really amazing work as always, a must have upgrade!!

Thanks for your work is really apreciatted!

Nothing more to say!

Best regards :good:

EDIT: A little more to say: I found this with your new effects:

img00001f.jpg

img00002m.jpg

Any idea why green smoke??:dntknw:

Edited by A6Intruder

Hiya Stary/Intruder...

Ive just installed the new Effects pack too..excellent work and really enjoying playing F.E. with it but I also have the green smoke problem at the heart of my Black smoke..Any way to sort this mate?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Sockboy.....

Fife

Scotland

Nothing more to say!

Best regards :good:

EDIT: A little more to say: I found this with your new effects:

img00001f.jpg

img00002m.jpg

Any idea why green smoke??:dntknw:

Edited by sockboy

Ouh! I don't have such green one, only dark grey/black one... What cards do you have guys? I'm on Nvidia btw.

edit: checked, no problems with color... :dntknw:

I'm playing with and without Enbseries plugin, no anomalies.

Edited by Stary

Ouh! I don't have such green one, only dark grey/black one... What cards do you have guys? I'm on Nvidia btw.

Hi Stary...

Thanks for the quick reply mate..im afraid I still run a very low end system with an old ATI Radeon 9800 Card, 1800_ Athalon Processor and 1 gig DDR Ram....far from perfect and can get pretty choppy with slowdown at times when the screen gets bisy but until im back working again it will just have to do!! least I can still play BF1942 and all the mods, COD2,MOHAA and my First Eagles and WW2 Instal as well as the MAME, Pinball and all my Retro Games..Newer Games I play on my Xbox 360 at the moment...(like Call of Duty WAW and Far Cry 2)...

Ive updated my Drivers for the Card with the newest set this morning but stioll getting the green smoke effect, in plane and ground fires....

Best wishes...

Rab Watson

Fife

Scotland

And here's the fix for Malibu43, that should eliminate the flashing buildings thing. I cannot add post with attachement in files announcement section, instead I post it here.

Here's the fix. I can't guarantee it will work, but as cities don't flash, this could do it.

Sockboy I'm affraid it may be your card related. For long time it's been reported Thirdwire games work better with Nvidia GPUs.

You may try older drivers instead. If that doesn't work, the effects you have problems with are:

AircraftSmokeEffect.ini

LargeFire.ini

MediumFire.ini

SmallFire.ini

the last option would be deleting these files :dntknw: or use other ones available from download section

edit: A6Intuder, sockboy, try this attached version of aircraftsmokeeffect.ini, extract to you effects folder

Edited by Stary