Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

It's Time To Play,"What's My Plane" !

Photo 20: Morane N. The type N or Monocoque-Morane was a mid-wing monoplane powered by the 80 h.p. Gnome or 110 h.p. Le Rhone engine.The airscrew had a large spinner, nicknamed "la casserole", which left only a small annular opening foe cooling the engine, so that it was often discarded in hot weather. The typical Morane wings were of wood and fabric construction with flexable tips to allow for warping. The fuselage was not a true monocoque; it's circular was formed by fitting light stringers over a wooden frame. A balanced elavator was fitted; the triangular fin and plain rudder were of low aspect ratio. Like most of the Morane types the undercarriage struts were of the "M" shape when viewed in front elevation. The craft pictured has a Vickers gun; the syncronising linkage could be adjusted by a nut on the projection above the muzzle. This set-up replace the defctor shields that had bee placed on the airscrews in earler versions.

Source: Fighter Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War W.M. Lamberton

#18 is a Fokker DVIII with Anthony Fokker stnding beside it

Winner of the April 1918 fighter competition, the Fokker D.VIII monoplane was delayed by production problems. Only thirty six of them entered service during the last weeks of the war. Equipped with an underpowered engine, the D.VIII was nevertheless an excellent fighter eagerly received by the German Air Force. Dubbed the "Flying Razor" by Allied pilots, it had the distinction of scoring the last aerial victory of the war.

Manufacturer: Fokker Flugzeug-Werke GmbH

Type: Fighter

First Introduced: 1918

Number Built: About 290

Engine(s): Oberursel UR-II, 9 cylinder air cooled rotary, 110 hp

Wing Span: 27 ft 6.75 in

Length: 19 ft 4 in

Height: 9 ft 3 in

Empty Weight:

Gross Weight: 1,238 lb

Max Speed: 115 mph at sea level

Ceiling: 20,670 ft

Endurance: 1.5 hours

Crew: 1

Armament: 2 Spandau machine guns

Red-Dog, it is the Fokker E.V, also known by the German Air Service designation as the D.VIII. One point for you Sir, and well done, (remember you will now have to wait 36 hours before going for any other points left in this group). For the second point someone will have to name the individual standing to the right in the photo, (which would be to the airplane's left). Also, perhaps who ever does go for the second point can mention why the people are sitting on the wing.

Bullethead, sorry again Sir but it is not the Morane-Saulnier 'N'. 36 hours for you too I'm afraid.

Cheers!

Lou

Photo Number 19 is a cockpit photo of a Sopwith Camel F1.

Shipped with several different types of engines...

130HP Clerget 9B Rotary

140HP Clerget 9Bf Rotary

110HP Le Rhone 9J Rotary

150HP Bentley BR1 Rotary

100 HP Gnome Monosoupape 9B-2 Rotary

150HP Gnome Monosoupape 9N Rotary

Manufactured by Sopwith Aviation Company

Source: Windsock Datafile 26, figures for Clerget Engined Camels.

Came in several versions ...

Sopwith Camel F.1 Single-seat fighter "Scout" aircraft armed with twin synchronised Vickers guns (easily visible in the photo).

Sopwith Camel 2F.1 Shipboard fighter scout aircraft with shorter wingspan, one Vickers and one overwing Lewis gun. Used the Bentley BR1 engine.

Sopwith Camel "Comic" night fighter. Pilot seat moved to the rear. The twin Vickers guns were replaced with two Lewis guns on the top wing mounted on Foster Mounts.

Sopwith Camel F.1/1 tapered wing version

Sopwith Camel T.F.1 trench fighter version which had downward angled machine guns and armour plating.

Entered service in June 1917 with No 4 Squadron RNAS. 5,490 were built.

Edited by Check Six

Rickitycrate, sorry to you as well on your M-S 'N' guess, but it is not. Although both you and Bullet gave excellent info and noted the lack of the bullet guard on the prop. Sharps eyes there Gents.

Duce Lewis, the second point for #18 is your Sir. It is indeed Anthony Fokker. Well done.

Check Six, no Sir, sorry. It is not a Camel cockpit.

Cheers!

Lou

No. 19 is a Sopwith Snipe cockpit. Here's Wiki about it:

In early 1917, Herbert Smith,the chief designer of the Sopwith Company, began to design a fighterintended to be the replacement for Sopwith's most famous aeroplane, thehighly successful Sopwith Camel.

Prototype Snipes had a number of minor technical problems. Inparticular, maximum speed was initially well below expectations. Infact, the Snipe was never a fast aeroplane, even for its day.

The Snipe's structure was rather heavier, but much stronger, thanearlier Sopwith fighters. Although not a fast aircraft for 1918, it wasvery maneuverable, and much easier to handle than the Camel, with asuperior view from the cockpit - especially forwards and upwards. TheSnipe also had a superior rate of climb, and much better high-altitudeperformance compared to its predecessor, allowing it to fight Germany'snewer fighters on more equal terms. Further modifications were made tothe Snipe during the war and post-war. The Snipe was built around the Bentley BR2engine - the last rotary to be used by the RAF. It had a maximum speedof 121 mph at 10,000ft compared with the Camel's 115 mph (185 km/h) atthe same altitude and an endurance of three hours. Its fixed armamentconsisted of two 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers machine guns in the cowl, and it was also able to carry up to four 25 lb (11 kg) bombs for ground attack work, identical to the Camel's armament. The design allowed for a single Lewis gun to be mounted on the centre section in a similar manner to those carried by the Dolphin - in the event this was not fitted to production aircraft.

The Snipe began production in 1918, with more than 4,500 beingordered. Production ended in 1919, with just under 500 being built, therest being cancelled due to the end of the war. There was only onevariant, the Snipe I , but production was by several companies including Sopwith, Boulton & Paul Ltd, Coventry Ordnance Works, D. Napier & Son, Nieuport and Rushton Proctor & Co Ltd.

Two aircraft were re-engined with a 320hp (239kW) ABC Dragonfly radial engine and these entered production as the Sopwith Dragon. An armoured version entered production as the Sopwith Salamander.

Very good Olham, #19 is indeed a Snipe. To be precise, it is a 7F.1 Snipe, number E6938 (RAF), and currently resides in the Canada Aviation Museum in Ottawa, Ontario. Two more points to you Sir.

Cheers!

Lou

Okay, I'll make a guess that #20 is a Morane-Saulnier Type I

The Morane-Saulnier Type I was a result of trying to increase performance of the Type N, largely at Trenchard's behest. While most Type N's were fitted with deflectors on the propeller to ensure the airscrew would not be shot off by the Hotchkiss gun, the Type I used an interrupter gear on a Vickers gun. The Type I was "up-engined" with the 110hp Le Rhone, and the wing area was also increased.

The similarities between the Type N and Type I are most evident in the original designation of the Type I: Type Nbis. While the Type I saw very limited - if any - service with the French and British, it was widely used by the Imperial Russian Aviation Service. A major contributing factor for the lack of use - and quick demise - of the Morane-Saulnier single-seat monoplanes in both the French and British services was the introduction of the excellent Nieuport 11.

Source: Various

BINGO! You've got it Dej. The Morane-Saulnier I is one of the most commonly misidentified planes from the Great War. It has been repeatedly misrepresented as an 'N' for years, and the 'Nbis' designation is nearly unheard of. As you have correctly noted, the 'I' has the larger 110hp engine and the Vickers with the Alkan syncronizer. The 'I' also sports the cowling shield running up over the gun, as well as the added sweepback at the front corners of the cockpit opening. And, while not seen in the picture posted in the set, the 'I' also has a wire trailing edge on the wings and horizontal stab which gives it a scalloped look rather than the straight edge found on the 'N'. Here is a drawing, courtesy of Windsock Data File #58 that helps to show the profile differences.

It is also interesting that only about 49 'N's were built and about 24 'I's, with four of the latter going to the RFC and the remaining 20 to the Russian Air Service, as you mentioned Dej. Seems like there should have been more of those flying about. BTW, the pilot in the photo is none other than Ivan Smirnov, Russia's fourth highest-scoring ace of the Great War. He had a total of 11 victories, two of those whilst flying his Morane-Saulnier I and going up against armed enemy two-seaters.

Another brace of points for you Dej. Well done Sir.

Cheers!

Lou

Yay! 'Educated guess' but still a guess.

Has increased my 'nerd factor' with the wife though. Here's me sat at my PC giving a yelp of pleased surprise, so she asks why. I tell her... she looks at me blankly 'so you're pleased because you identified a 'plane? You do that in every war film we watch and every time one flies over'

Bless her, at least she actually likes war films... so long as I don't do any 'rivet counting'. :mda:

He, he...yes Dej, I go through the exact same thing with my better half, though she only tolerates war films. I recall on one occasion we were at a large rummage sale and I came across an old Zenith altimeter that I was sure to be WW1 vintage, which got me about as giddy as a kid in a candy store. My wife just looked at what I imagine to her eyes appeared to be a crusty old piece of junk, then looked at me going on about it as if I'd just discovered the lost gold of the Incas, and she just shook her head and walked over to a table full of used summer clothing and did her best to look like she'd come in alone. Ah but I still love her bless her heart, and more importantly she me, which is a good thing as I'm not sure how many other women out there would even tolerate me, let alone attempt to understand me.

Cheers!

Lou

I keep my mouth shut since when watching 'A bridge too far' I complained that the chocks holding back the Dakota C-47s were of a collapsible metal type only used by the RAF since the late '50s. The WWII chocks were made of wood with ropes attached to pull them away. The steel chocks had chains. It's a small point, but they could have got it right easily. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but as I personally used those chocks for ten years I am entitled to notice them.

But it all depends on what you are interested in. My sister, who was mad on horses, used to notice that the cowboys would swop horses during a chase. All horses look about the same to me. I used to count how many rounds they could fire from their six-shooters without reloading :cool:<br><br>

Edited by JimAttrill

:rofl: Great reads, Dej, Lou and Jim! Where the focus of interest centers...:good:

Lou, if you should ever come to Paris, ask for the big flea markets. And ask for the one for

techical parts and devices (from old cars mainly, but maybe also aircraft). It was in a hall or

even two - an El Dorado for oldtimer freaks.

Aaah, flea markets with lots of old vehicle parts and tools, all for sale and everyone open to bartering. If there's a mini donut stand at the same locale I know I've found Valhalla.

I know what No 17 is.......

but i can't say yet.......How long have i got to wait the suspence is going to kill me. yikes.gif

Eek! That's two of us in the back row with our hands up then :grin:

Eek! That's two of us in the back row with our hands up then grin.gif

How long have you got left Dej......

Red-Dog, 36 hours from the time stamp on your most recent guess Sir and you can go for it. But whatever you do DON'T post early or your guess won't count, (I noticed that Olham waited a full five extra minutes more than the 36 hours just to be sure...wise move). And it looks like Dej will be following closely so you best have your answer and information in order and set to post R-D. smile.gif

Cheers!

Lou

BTW Red-Dog, I just noticed that Bullethead's last guess was only three minutes after yours, so you may have him breathing down your neck as well, at which point waiting 5 extra minutes would not be a wise idea. All I can recommend is to have your timepiece synchronized and be ready. Could be a photo finish. Can't you just feel the tension mounting. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

And both have a good few hours on me... good luck, chaps. :good: :yes:

And both have a good few hours on me... good luck, chaps. good.gifyes.gif

Cheers Dej,

have you noticed your flying time is suffering? i'am just looking at all my books and surfing the web since this game started, in't it great...

I've had to do the same thing Red-Dog just to keep ahead of you lot. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Lou, every time I see you've posted I freakout! Another false alarm. I told Olham that when you post the pics it reminds me of a scramble mission. Frantic!

Haha! So we are all under stress, eyh?

Lou, you might be lucky to find "Dunkin' Donuts" in Paris, but not the really good ones

I saw in the series "Twin Peaks" many years ago. They prefer Crepes in France.

(Hmm - very good stuff).

No, no, not Dunkin' Donuts Olham, Mini Donuts. That's a whole 'nother thing.

As to the false alarms of these postings and all the nervous twitches they may be causing, well all I can say to that is...

DING DING DING !!! WILD CARD PHOTO !

The first to correctly identify the WW1 combat flight tactic shown in the illustration, what it was called by the French, and which modern aerobatic maneuvers most closely match it will be awarded 2 bonus points. You must be spot on with all answers to win.

Good Luck!