Sign in to follow this  
Gr.Viper

Need advice on Books on Nam

Found out that a huge book store in the city can order books through Amazon, which would be rather difficult for me to do personally - shipping here is awful.

A while ago I've put together a list of stuff on Nam I might consider buying. Since it turns out quite expensive I thought of asking for your opinions about the order in which I should gradually get the books. Or forget about them :biggrin:

The general list with likns to Amazon is roughly this lot

Thud RidgeX Got it!

100 Missions NorthX

Rupert Red Two

When Thunder RolledX

Clashes: Air Combat over North Vietnam, 1965-1972

First In, Last Out: Stories by The Wild Weasels

Palace Cobra: A Fighter Pilot in the Vietnam Air WarX

Over the Beach: The Air War in Vietnam

Rampant Raider: An A-4 Skyhawk Pilot in Vietnam

Launch The Intruders: A Naval Attack Squadron In The Vietnam War, 1972

On Yankee Station: The Naval Air War over Vietnam

My idea for the first batch was

1. Thund Ridge

2. When Thunder Rolled

3. Palace Cobra

4... maybe.. not decided yet.. definintely one of the first-person accounts. Perhaps Rampant Raider to take a break from big birds

So.. any suggestions? Something really cool I missed? :sorry:

funny-pictures-happycat-is-sad1.jpg

Edited by Gr.Viper

Thud Ridge is good - Col Broughton used to make recordings when he was flying so he could refer to them later.

Want a really good book that's not about fast movers?

Try "My Secret War" by Richard S. Drury. Best book i've found so far about flying into combat in a Spad.

My Secret War looks very interesting, but I think I won't be able to get it since it's not in Amazon's own stock :dntknw:

a book called "chickenhawk", about huey pilots, one of my favorites.

Another one with Hueys

U.S. NAVY SEAWOLVES, and is a good history of HAL-3 at it's very beginning, along with the relationship they had with the SEALS that still continues today with HSC-84 and soon HSC-85.

The period covered is from HAL-3's commissioning to just after Tet. Two operations are covered in depth from both the Seawolves and the SEALs perspectives. It also covers the events of Tet and the realization that the only aircraft operating in Saigon airspace in the first hours are two Seawolf gunships.

When I read this it became clear why HAL/HCS-5 got away with things that should have punished. We were formed from HAL-3 and it was in our units genes. I'm sure some of you guys know what I mean, the rest of you , read the book.

a book called "chickenhawk", about huey pilots, one of my favorites.

I was just going to mention this same one.

51TPSYK2BYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

At this point, GrViper, I'm almost halfway through "First in, Last out". Having read that much, I feel condident enough to recommend it. It strikes a nice balance; it's chapters alternating between the technical, logistical, and tactical side of things.

Hm... I guess the second batch is forming up :cool:

For now I ordered Thud Ridge, When Thunder Rolled, Palace Cobra and 100 Missions North. + a couple of books by Robert Rankin, who is zany and hilarious but severely underpromoted.

Funny thing about ordering from Amazon at that store is that they don't include shipping cost but multiply whatever the book costs by 2.4. So a 60$ order turned into some 150$. :this: And it's 100% pre-pay and I have no idea when the stuff will arrive yet.

I'm sure that you'll enjoy Ed Rasimus's books. I've actually corresponded with him...he's real down-to-earth.

So after just 2-month wait I've got the books. By a strange coincidence I dropped in at the store to say "Hi, girls, how are you and where the hell is my pre-paid order?", and was told that they'd call me back. Hardly have I passed the former KGB building next door to the store, when they (well, different department) did call me back and said the order had just arrived and asked when I would be able to pick it up. :lol:

Sounds like awesone read. Pity the book isn't in Amazon own stock, so I cant order it the same way.

"Clashes" is a must read, its all about USAF, USN and VPAF tactics, weapons deployment/development, Electronic Warfare etc.

Very interesting and it has many accounts of air combats all through the text, it doesnt get boring to read.

Another Vietnam related book which is not on yourlist is "scream of Eagles" by Wilcox ... its about how the USN realized that they must use better tactics with the big smokey F-4 to beat the small MiG ... its the story of how Top Gun came to life and how the lessons worked in the skies over Vietnam... a very interesting read!

I have all the Thud related books of your list, and can say that all are very good.. many interesting stories.

Of all, I like "When Thunder Rolled" best, because its written by a (back then)junior officer , which has a very interesting view on Thud flying over the north.

"Palace Cobra" is the sequel in which he returns for another tour in 1972, Flying the F-4 this time. Also a very interesting read...

The author , Ed Rasimus, has a website : http://www.thunderchief.org/

See if you can find any of the Rolling Thunder series by Mark Berent. It's not 100% true non-fiction, but I find it's a nice balance between fantasy and reality. There are 5 books: Rolling Thunder, Phantom Leader, Steel Tiger, Eagle Station and Storm Flight. The last two are more ground-action based, but the first three have some excellent combat scenes.

I am trying to read through

Linebacker: The Untold Story of the Air Raids over North Vietnam by Karl J. Eschmann

Interesting there is a pdf online titled "Patterns and Predictability: The Soviet Evaluation of Operation Linebacker II"

I have also been enjoying the Mark Berent books, great Historic Fiction.

Edited by Oswald Bastable