Sign in to follow this  
flynn

Recon Photos etc

Thought I'd share some aerial photos from my grandfather's albums, they give a nice flavour of what the recce work was all about:

The photo backs are included so they could possibly be located on the maps:

post-53884-12535377453663_thumb.jpg

post-53884-1253537759101_thumb.jpg

Flynn, very interesting. Such a great altitude they were taken from. It is great that you have these and so good of you to share them

They were quite varying altitudes I think, mostly 5000-8500ft, my brother has the collection at the moment and I will get him to check. this one is quite evocative (and a bit clearer than most!).

post-53884-12535384950309_thumb.jpg

post-53884-12535385104288_thumb.jpg

These are great flynn, thanks for sharing Sir. Please post the others when you have access to them, I'm betting we'd all like to add them to our libraries.

Cheers!

Lou

No problem, my pleasure. Here's a shot of the whole squadron, my Grandfather is holding his dog and Jerry Pentland is to his left.

3940554261_daf6d14f8e_b.jpg

Fantastic photo flynn! This is the kind of documentation that is a rare treat to have. Thanks again.

Cheers!

Lou

Post 3 has some massive craters. Not big enough for mines, but big shells or something.

Excellent Photo's to have.

My father flew in Swordfish in 1939, and his best photo is the British Med Fleet of Gibraltar. I know it's a different era, but the amount of detail lost when scanned into a PC is tragic. I've actually identified about 20+ ships from the photo, so I'm assuming these trench photos must be pretty clear to make out.

post-45899-12535528068447_thumb.jpg

Nice post Flynn, thank you for putting it up.

Edited by Flyby PC

Regarding flynn's pic in post#5. I am pleased to see so many smiling faces on the men in light of what they were doing.

Great photos! Thanks for sharing them with us. :good:

(I really hope some day we'll be able to take recon photos in OFF too, and not just fly through waypoints pretending to do so.)

Post 3 has some massive craters. Not big enough for mines, but big shells or something.

Excellent Photo's to have.

My father flew in Swordfish in 1939, and his best photo is the British Med Fleet of Gibraltar. I know it's a different era, but the amount of detail lost when scanned into a PC is tragic. I've actually identified about 20+ ships from the photo, so I'm assuming these trench photos must be pretty clear to make out.

post-45899-12535528068447_thumb.jpg

Nice post Flynn, thank you for putting it up.

Interesting photo. I have great memories of being buzzed by the Swordfish from Yeovilton when I was growing up. It was pretty impressive when flying right over head at full speed!

Great pics here!

Flynn, the group photo - I think I see a Scotsman and Englishmen, and are there also Americans,

or did the British have that "canoe" form cap too?

Olham, I think they were a pretty eclectic bunch, Pentland was certainly from NZ. I think the squadron had a close association with the Canadian Corps throughout the war, so there are possibly Canadians too. And Irish of course! It does amaze me how lighthearted they look, you have to wonder how many from that photo made it through the next 2.5 years, I venture to say few of them.

Facinating Recon photos..especially the reverse!

RFC 16 Sqn:

The Squadron was formed at Saint-Omer, France on 10 February 1915 from elements of Nos. 2, 6 and 9 Squadrons. It immediately began fighting in the First World War under Hugh Dowding. For the rest of the Great War, the 'Saints'[1] were deployed throughout Northern France and operated a mixture of aircraft including Bleriot XI, Martinsyde S.1 and Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2c on offensive patrol and tactical reconnaissance duties.[2] Disbandment occurred on New Year's Eve 1919...

http://www.wtla.airwar1.org.uk/no%2016%20sqn.htm

Captain William Allcock RFC's diary

2 Sqn personnel mentioned Sep 1915- Feb 1916

Maj Becke CO

Lt Arthur Whitten Brown (observer) (POW 10/11/15, later flew the Atlantic in 1919)

2/Lt K D P Murray

Lt Herbert Bainbridge Russell (observer) later pilot with 23 Sqn POW 26 June 1916

Lt A L Russell (pilot) POW 5 Jan 1916

Lt W E Somerville (pilot) POW 5 Jan 1916

Capt "Caruthers", probably a reference to Capt T Carthew DSO

Sgt Craven

2/Lt B C Rice (observer)

2/Lt (?LC) Chapman (observer)

1AM Bowes

Lt E M Gilbert (observer)

2/Lt Harold William Medlicott (POW 10/11/15 later shot escaping 21/5/18)

Lt Nulue (observer)

1AM Harris

2AM Aston

Capt Sandery ? William Douglas S Sanday

Lt (Vernon) Busby

Capt Denistoun (observer)

Lt Milne (observer)

Lt William George Bransby Williams (Pilot) (KIA 12/5/17)

Lt Moser (observer)

Other 2 Sqn personnel mentioned in the communiqués:

Lt George Antony Turton (pilot)

2/Lt H V Stammers (observer)

Capt Thomas Walter Colby Carthew (pilot)

2/Lt E M Gilbert (observer)

Capt (Philip) Babington (pilot)

Lt Davies (observer)

2/Lt William Douglas Stock Sanday (pilot)

Lt (John Percival) Clark (pilot)

2/Lt (Alfred) Ellison

Corp Welch (observer)

Lt Chadwick (observer)

Sgt Hodgson (observer)

Capt G T Porter (pilot)

Lt Davey (observer)

Capt Charles Sandford Wynne-Eyton (Pilot)

Lt G C Formilli (observer) POW 5 Jan 1916

16 Sqn personnel mentioned Feb - May 1916

Maj D W Powell CO

Lt (Frederick James Harry) Thayre (pilot)

Lt Summons (observer)

Lt Nesbitt (observer)

Corp Wain

Lt Logan (pilot)

Lt Truscott. (observer)

1AM Sherwood

Lt Caton (observer)

1AM Rockcliffe

2 Lt Colison (observer) KIA ?

Corp Woolley

Lt Tyrell (observer)

Sgt Prance

Sgt Greasy

Sgt Gae

Capt Arnold Reed Tillie KIA 11/5/16 (pilot)

Capt Waller

Other 16 Sqn personnel mentioned in the communiqués:

2/Lt Laurence Minot (pilot)

2/Lt Welsh (observer)

2/Lt J G Howell (observer + Tillie RFC Com 36)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22901793@N02/3940554261/

Just a further filling out of these great photos

Reagrds,

Royce

Olham, I think they were a pretty eclectic bunch, Pentland was certainly from NZ. I think the squadron had a close association with the Canadian Corps throughout the war, so there are possibly Canadians too. And Irish of course! It does amaze me how lighthearted they look, you have to wonder how many from that photo made it through the next 2.5 years, I venture to say few of them.

Sir, I beg to differ. A A N D Pentland was born in Maitland, Australia.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/australi/pentland.php

Great pix.

So true Check Six, mea culpa. Pentland is of course Australian.

Edited by flynn

So true Check Six, mea culpa. Pentland is of course Australian.

No problems Flynn. Anything half-decent that comes out of New Zealand gets "adopted" by Australia and identified as one of our own. (umm...Phar Lap comes to mind instantly, as does a few questionable adoptions like Russell Crowe, Crowded House and Split Enz. We adopt several Rugby and Rugby League players and call them Aussies. The Kiwis do likewise, and call Australia the "West Island" of New Zealand).

I've got Jerry Pentland's biography (an interesting read). I'll have to check it for references of your grandfather.

http://www.amazon.co.../theaerodromeA/

(in case you're interested)

Edited by Check Six

The 16 Squadron RFC must have run into Jasta 11 several times. I have compiled Manfred von Richthofen's victories

about them here. His wingmen must have shot some more of them down. But MvR's kills alone make 12 people from

our photogrhaph. And when I wrote the lines, I thought, they also where victims of the RFC decision to carry on to

send out two-seaters without rear guns for the observer.

19. vict: 1. 2. 1917 16:00 h SW Thelus B.E.2d Lt. Murray(DoW), Lt. McRae (DoW) 16Sqdn RFC

24. vict: 6. 3. 1917 17:00 h Souchez B.E.2e 2/Lt. C. M. Gosset-Bibbey (KiA), Lt. J. G. O. Brichta (KiA) 16Sqdn RFC

28. vict: 17. 3. 1917 17:00 h Souchez B.E.2c 2/Lt. G. M.Watt (KiA), Sgt. E. A. Howlett (KiA) 16Sqdn RFC

29. vict: 21. 3. 1917 17:25 h N of Neuville B.E.2f Fl/Sgt. S. H.Quicke (KiA), 2/Lt. W. J. Lidsey (KiA) 16Sqdn RFC

39. vict: 8. 4. 1917 16:40 h Vimy B.E.2e 2/Lt. K. I.Mackenzie (KiA), G. Everingham (KiA) 16Sqdn RFC

47. vict: 23. 4. 1917 12:13 h E of Vimy B.E.2f 2/Lt. E. A.Welch (KiA), Sgt. A. Tollervey (KiA) 16Sqdn RFC

Poor fellows - they died absolutely defenseless by those decisions. May they all rest in peace.

I've got Jerry Pentland's biography (an interesting read). I'll have to check it for references of your grandfather.

Thanks Steve, I don't think he spent long there on his way to being an ace, but I'd be interested to know. I'd like to think he showed Jerry a trick or two to stay alive.

Thanks Steve, I don't think he spent long there on his way to being an ace, but I'd be interested to know. I'd like to think he showed Jerry a trick or two to stay alive.

I'm sure he did. I'm quite certain all pilots and their observer/gunners had a remarkable bond, both knowing the skill of the gunner saved both their skins on numerous occasions, and the deft manoeuvring of the pilot either enabled them to escape or gave his gunner a better field of fire to keep the enemy at bay.

No problem, my pleasure. Here's a shot of the whole squadron, my Grandfather is holding his dog and Jerry Pentland is to his left.

For posterity I thought I would add the surnames of the people above, as I have subsequently discovered them in an almost identical photo in 'Flight and Aicraft Engineer' No 2466 Vol 69 Friday 27 April 1956.

From left to right: Least, Owles, Buck, Howell, Unknown, Minot, Budgen, Davidson, Davidson, Maj. Powell, Diamond, Shaw, Ellis, Nesbitt, Pentland, Waller, Trascott, Waddington and Welsh.

Incidentally, it could be one of the two Davidson's above who took part in the last flight of WWI...

It was an aircraft of No. 16 Sqn. which flew the Armistice patrol—the last patrol of the war. From this flight Capt. H. L. Tracey (pilot) and Capt. S. F. Davidson, M.C. (observer) landed at 11.45 a.m. and reported as follows: "No enemy activity. Our troops in Mons. A.A. fire nil.

flynn, that group photo is simply outstanding, great quality too!

It would make a great addition to P4

If you don't mind me suggesting

Your family must be right proud of your grandfather

Thanks or sharing,

Interesting photo. I have great memories of being buzzed by the Swordfish from Yeovilton when I was growing up. It was pretty impressive when flying right over head at full speed!

Sir,

Please let me introduce myself : I am the president of an association of volunteer named : Abbaye de Beaupré, Etude et Sauvegarde du Site, at La Gorgue, North of France.

The association is in charge of the archaeological site of the Cistercian abbey of “Notre-Dame de Beaupré-sur-la-Lys” (1220-1789). This abbey was situated between La Gorgue and Merville, alongside the river Lys. One of the objects of the association is the study of this site, including, of course, the abbey itself, but also all of what happened on it. Recently, some works on the site lead us to bring to light some materials of the Great War (as for example, an R.F.C. badge and pieces of regimentals) which are now exposed in our little private museum. These conduct us to search more information and we are now persuaded that the site is what is elsewhere called the “British aerodrome of La Gorgue”. Among the squadrons that have occupied the site are N° 16 RFC (with Major H.C.T. Dowding and Major D.W. Powell), N° 46 RFC (with Major Babington), and also for a short time the Naval 8 (later 208 RAF, of Major C. Draper). At present, I am trying to collect informations upon this period.

Surfing on the web, I notably discover the photography of your grand-father W.(?) H.(?) « Billy » Waller surrounded by other pilots and observers of N° 16 Squadron at La Gorgue (I knew the existence of the almost identical photo.

I would like to propose you (and other people interested ?) to exchange. From my part, I could bring our knowledge of Beaupré.

Thank you in advance for your consideration and for not taking into account of my english.

For your information, we have a little website where you will see the farmhouse of the abbey (sorry for french!), we are quite sure that it is the “famous” farmhouse of N° 16 Squadron at La Gorgue!

http://claude.quettier.free.fr/abess/

Best wishes for this New Year and best regards.

S. Comini

Edited by shredward

Wow those photos are amazing. I love seeing personal accounts of war.

Sir,

Please let me introduce myself : I am the president of an association of volunteer named : Abbaye de Beaupré, Etude et Sauvegarde du Site, at La Gorgue, North of France.

I would like to propose you (and other people interested ?) to exchange. From my part, I could bring our knowledge of Beaupré.

http://claude.quettier.free.fr/abess/

S. Comini

Allo M Comini,

For the story of La Gorgue and Merville Aerodromes during the Great War, might I suggest "Airfields & Airmen Ypres", Mike O'Connor, Battleground Europe, Pen & Sword Books. It has photos, taken both then and now, maps and layout of the 'dromes, and a little potted history of the activity, people and squadrons that passed through. If you don't have access to it, I will scan and email it to you.

Bien cordialement,

shredward

There's an amazing resemblance of your gradfather to Uncle (Christopher Plummer) in Aces High.