Ok, so after the initial topic of Aggressors got started It got me into some really detailed thinking of some potential Campaign and Terrain ideas. I've thrown around ideas and based on how the sim works have decided on 2 campaigns using the same terrain area of Northern Nevada (NAS Fallon to Nellis) to the area around Miramar NAS. This will allow for different period NFWS (TOP GUN) campaigns and Red Flag campaigns. While I'm pretty good @ USAF stuff and the area around Nellis I haven't got a clue as to what Top Gun involves (past to present). This thread will serve as a status and idea source. Any and All help is appreciated, now is anyone else interested?

I'm pretty sure the cirriculum for Top Gun nowadays includes strike, since the Super Hornet and Hornet squadrons (not too sure on the Hornet now..) rotate through there. So for future missions it can include either standard air to air engagements and then a "ground phase" for the strike portion.

Yeah and if u made it a campaign, instead of individual hops, when u did do a strike mission, u would get attacked by the aggressors as well. I downloaded Daves Top Gun Campaign a while ago and made a 60s version with 2 campaigns, where u can fly as the student in the F-4, and as the instructor in the A-4. Then I redid the 80s version and did the same thing. I used all the skins for the tomcats and made one plane from each squadron in the navy and there were about 12 squadrons participating, and 3 aggressor squadrons, 2 A-4 and one F-5 in the 80s campaign. If yall want to use anything I did, let me know, or if u just want to play my versions, let me know. They are all betas so I wont upload them as a file to the downloads section, but I will put them on the thread if u want. Yall just say the word

well I will get my F4 aggressor skins sorted...all I need is suggestions for sqds that "may" have used them if they were used in the agg role...

I really like this project. Also would be great environment of course for the F-5F.

what about using SCAL from wrench?

It is not a terrible difficult project

Once the weapons are done we need spcific loadouts.. and then setting up the campaign.

anythign I can do?

The hardest part is going to be the weapons, having the training ordinance show up on the plane, but not fire when u hit the button, because u dont want to really blow him out of the sky for real, or is that the only way you can do it? Maybe make the charge in the missile just big enough to draw smoke and put him out of the fight, but not shoot him down? Hell, I dunno, lol.

Air to Air campaigns will require the "enemy" aircraft to be destroyed. Russ, the F-4 would most likely have been used by the 64th and 65th AGRS.

Here is a list of Aggressor aircraft, some of which we will need permission to mod and bring over to SF2.

A-4E/F

TA-4J

F-5E

F-5F

F-5N

F-21A

F-16N

F-16C

F-16D

F-16A

F-16B

F-15C

F-15D

F/A-18A

F/A-18C

As far as terrain goes I've started on an area for Red Flag.

img00001.JPG

The aircraft I recall hearing about from Tomcat drivers and RIOs that went there:

As Aggressors:

A-4 (hard and slatted wing, depending on timeframe) to simulate MiG-17

F-5 to simulate MiG-21

T-38

Kfir (F-21)

F-16N to simulate MiG-29

F-14 (only the A-model was used as an aggressor, IIRC)

F/A-18A/C

MiG-17 (4477th Exposure)

MiG-21 (4477th Exposure)

MiG-23 (4477th Exposure)

From what I understand, attack aircraft (A-6, A-7), early warning (E-2), and plenty of other aircraft participated as well.

Students typically came from F-8, F-4, F-14, and F/A-18 squadrons (from the foundation in 1969 until 1996)

Edited by Caesar

The hardest part is going to be the weapons, having the training ordinance show up on the plane, but not fire when u hit the button, because u dont want to really blow him out of the sky for real, or is that the only way you can do it? Maybe make the charge in the missile just big enough to draw smoke and put him out of the fight, but not shoot him down? Hell, I dunno, lol.

If you look in the other original topic, you can have a 0 charge, and it will still give effects (explosion, graphics, log on the Debrief Log as a hit, etc.) so it's possible to launch (or have a weapon launched at you) and not get blown out of the sky. Here's the example R-73 for that topic. And terrain is looking nice wpnssgt :good:

CAR-73.7z

The aircraft I recall hearing about from Tomcat drivers and RIOs that went there:

As Aggressors:

A-4 (hard and slatted wing, depending on timeframe) to simulate MiG-17

F-5 to simulate MiG-21

T-38

Kfir (F-21)

F-16N to simulate MiG-29

F-14 (only the A-model was used as an aggressor, IIRC)

F/A-18A/C

MiG-17 (4477th Exposure)

MiG-21 (4477th Exposure)

MiG-23 (4477th Exposure)

From what I understand, attack aircraft (A-6, A-7), early warning (E-2), and plenty of other aircraft participated as well.

Students typically came from F-8, F-4, F-14, and F/A-18 squadrons (from the foundation in 1969 until 1996)

Most were from RAG 121

ok cheers mike.....I can do the basic decals...WA etc...but a\c serials?...shall I make these up...as F4 wasnt used... so a "what if" squadron...would have "what if" numbers?...lol

Edited by russouk2004

heres a quick go at summat....what u think?

post-1981-12546132251762.jpg

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 1

Damn that is gorgeous Russ! I would stick to standard unit and tail code placement as on other USAF F-4s, would look more realistic. The Air Force doesn't use Red Stars on any Aggressor.

Beautiful work russo! :good:

Boo-yeah!

I learned something here today.

I figured that this was a "flight of fancy," pun intended, until I Googled up the 65th AGRS.

The USAF Aggressors are back!

And have been since `05. I did not know that. They disbanded 3 years before I got out of

the Air Force, as a member of Wing WA. (431 TES, 57 FWW.)

Eagles as Flankers? Inspired!

And your virtual recreations are excellent. Most excellent!

Nice work!

Now this would be an interesting skin to see:

159855RED31.jpg

"Red 31" - pic taken in 1993 when the F-14 played the role of Su-27 at NFWS

or

f14-photo-nfws-01l.jpg

If you are doing a TOPGUN themed mod too, I could take a whack at those skins. Unfortunately, I'm not nearly as skilled as Russo or some of the other folks we've got here...

GREAT Eagle and Phantom skins, BTW!

Edited by Caesar

Aren't those already available? Look in the F-14 skins section at Fist of the Fleet. The link's at the top of the page.