Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Dawn on the Western Front

Just found this on my Son's Computer!...He is nearly twelve..plays OFF..and seems to have a good grasp of what it was like!!...enjoy!..and well done Son!..hahaha :grin:

(I thought it would be interesting from it's title!...lol)

Another Cold January morning as I open my eyes, to the feeling of Butterflies in the pit of my stomach.

It's getting worse instead of better!...I thought I would get over them by now...but how can you, when just yesterday, I watched Wilson jump, burning from his Camel!

It could of course be due to the large quantity of Brandy I got through in the mess last night?...or the thought of what may await me in the skies this morning.

"Thanks Cecil" I say through my hungover lips, as my tea is placed next to me by my Sergeant.... God, my mouth tastes like a Gunners Glove!

"What time is it Cecil?"

"6:00am Sir...still a bit dark, but looks to be a clear day"

Bugger I thought...kind of wanted a Lie in.....

"Going to bag a Hun for us again today Sir?"

"I'll do my best Cecil" I grimmace, as the hot tea burns my lips!

"Breakfast at 6:30 Sir...Briefing at 7:00"...he turns and walks out, closing the door behind him!

I get myself dressed...in the Kings Own Uniform...lightly stroking the RFC insignia...

"I wonder if the King will allow me to keep his damn uniform when this is all over?....Bloody right he will!..either that, or bury me in it!"

I walk towards the Mess hall, to get my Breakfast....the light is much better already...and the Cold Winter Sun does her best to slightly warm my face as I walk.

"Hi George!...how's your head this morning?..You drunken old Sod!!"..... It's Peter, my Wingman... I smile as I watch him approach

"Bloody Hell...It's cold this Morning..The Huns will have Icicles hanging off their Spandau's" He laughs as he catches up to me in a run

"Wish they did!..I am sure they will soon warm up, trying to blow my tail off! I reply...Wonder what joyous Job the Brass have thought up for us today?"

"Doesn't matter old boy!... With me looking after your pretty little Backside, while you get all the bloody Glory eh?"

Peter is right of course...He has saved my neck up there more than once!...Such a Likeable Chap... 4 yrs my Junior, but already a man...and a Killer...... at 19 yrs old!

What a bloody waste of time this whole damned war is..

"Never mind Peter...it'll all be over by Christmas" I say

"Yes, but which bloody one!?"...we both say in unison.... and chuckle, as we enter the Mess tent.

"SCRAMBLE!!"...Incoming German Aircraft!.....Peter and I rush outside in time to see 6 German Aircraft approaching from the NorthWest

"Bugger", shouts Peter as we both rush towards our Parked Camels.. "I was sort of looking forward to eating something"...

I don't have time to reply, as I jump into the Cockpit of my Camel... CONTACT!..I shout to my Ground crew, as the first Spandau's open up on the Airfield...drawing two deadly parallel lines in dirt along the ground towards me as I hit full throttle to get Airborne.

A quick glance left and right, as I climb away, and begin my turn towards where I believe the enemy to be...but no sign...at least...not at first.

5 of them are all over Peter...Albatros Fighters....Black tails...I have seen these Bastards before!

I swoop down towards the Melee, hoping Peter can avoid them long enough for me to arrive....but with a sinking feeling, I see a dot come away from his aircraft..... Just a dot to me...but a Wing to him!

His Camel catches fire, and spirals out of control....his tormentors break off their attack, as Peter's Camel Smashes into the Woods at the end of the Airfield....they turn their attention to me!

TBC

Edited by UK_Widowmaker
  • Like 1

I love it! Thats got the makings of a novel right there. good.gif

That's really awesome!!! And he's only twelve?!

Thanks for sharing this, itifonhom

Thanks guys...yes, he has always been very advanced when it comes to Writing (His Uncle is an Author)...and I constantly find snippets, scrap paper and various writings on his Computer.

I found myself looking forward to part 2!!....Although, he is a shy lad, and if he knew I posted this on here, the Embarrasement would be too much for him!...So, I haven't even mentioned I have read it to him.

In one very graphic story, he told of a victims last hours on the Titanic!...It sent shivers up my spine to read it!

Matched with his fascination of History, I am often treated to some very impressive storytelling :grin:

(Unbeknown to him, I have kept them all!!) and shall always do so..... And one day, I can present them all to his wife!!...hahahahaha

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

To his wife??!?? For one moment I thought you want to spare him the embarrassment but now I know : You are VICIOUS!!! :-))))))

He writes really well, keep him going, who knows? itifonhom

To his wife??!?? For one moment I thought you want to spare him the embarrassment but now I know : You are VICIOUS!!! :-))))))

He writes really well, keep him going, who knows? itifonhom

Well, he get's his literary skills from his Mum's side of the family!...I just provided the Vicious counterbalance!! :lol:

I had to re-do some of his spelling mistakes by the way!...for which he will be soundly whipped!!! :rofl:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Very impressed :clapping: - where's the second installment ???

Holy crap! yikes.gif

Just 12 years old, you say? Damn. Buy the kid a beer on me--he seems old enough drinks.gif

I say Widow after that whipping give the lad a medal. Since he is OFFing let's see him on Olham's map. I can understand if you want to protect him from the characters on this forum tho. Clearly you're a right good influence on the lad. His writing is brilliant IMO for most any age and leaves us wanting more.

Edited by Rickitycrate

That's really very good, WM! Not sure how you'll do it without giving the game away but DO encourage him to keep on writing... and not let Life get in the way.

Excellent, WM. Twelve years old, eh? Fabulous stuff. I make a living as a scribbler myself. The kid's got a great ear for dialogue, a natural flow and an instinct for the little touches that give a scene it's realism. If sticks with it, he's going to do well.

CW

Shades of brilliance in that writing...you might have yourself another Hemingway on your hands! :good:

you might have yourself another Hemingway on your hands! good.gif
GAWD, let's hope not. I wouldn't want my kid to grow up to be a communistic, absinthe-addicted suicide. Now, another George MacDonald Fraser... I'd be proud of that. Edited by Bullethead

GAWD, let's hope not. I wouldn't want my kid to grow up to be a communistic, absinthe-addicted suicide. Now, another George MacDonald Fraser... I'd be proud of that.

Well, I didn't mean literally... (pardon the pun). :grin:

Very very good read from your lad, UKWm. I very much hope he keeps up the writing. good.gif

Now, another George MacDonald Fraser... I'd be proud of that.

must be this forum's version of etaoin shrdlu....

Wow. Widow that's amazing

Your son has some real talent there ...and only 12???

Quite amazing and I'm glad you're encouraging him

Hope to see Part 2

GAWD, let's hope not. I wouldn't want my kid to grow up to be a communistic, absinthe-addicted suicide. Now, another George MacDonald Fraser... I'd be proud of that.

How about Tom Clancy?

Edited by Duce Lewis

Outstanding! You have a budding young author there Widowmaker, be sure to keep encouraging him.

Cheers!

Lou

WM- A twelve year old writing like that is really amazing..he has true talent!

Now tell him you've been mucking around on his PC..let him blow off a bit of steam at you..then tell him there's a forum board waiting for

chapter 2 good.gif

Regards,

Royce

Thanks all for your kind words.

Yes, I am pleased as punch about his writing, and am going to suggest he finishes the story, and I will post it.

Being quite a creative sort of Kid, he does have the flip side too...a very fiery temper!...and myself and Mrs WM often have trouble keeping a lid on it!....Plus of course, his Testosterone levels are creeping up..so a bit like Nitro-Glycerine at times here!! :grin:

Thankfully, when he does lose it...he storms upstairs to his room, shouting and slamming doors...and feverishly writes this stuff, and an hour later, comes down all sweetness and Light!..hahaha (which is better than him smacking someone at least!!!)

Oh sometimes, I just have to drink Beer!!! :grin: