Sign in to follow this  
Davy TASB

That "other WW1 flight sim"

is at this moment a luvverly price if you buy it from Direct2 drive right now .

As much as I love OFF, I am having a bit of ROF for the princely sum of £11.95p

Happy New Year and all that..... :drinks:

• Dislike 1

With the DRM that comes with that.......... there's not a price low enough to get me to buy it. drinks.gif

They are thinking to drop the DRM in the near future.

Think maybe they've been reading the forum uproar about their DRM and got their calculators out and figured how much business they're losing? That's why I didn't buy.

is at this moment a luvverly price if you buy it from Direct2 drive right now .

As much as I love OFF, I am having a bit of ROF for the princely sum of £11.95p

Happy New Year and all that..... :drinks:

Tempting, I love OFF and I know that there is alllooot of complaints regarding ROF, but I cannot get enough of WWI stuff so it looks like Im gonna have to buy as its only a twenty and lord knows I have spent way more for way less lol. Now the only question for me is what OS to put it on. Id like to do windows 7 but I have had many issues with that versus my vista 64

With the DRM that comes with that.......... there's not a price low enough to get me to buy it. drinks.gif

I bought it even with the DRM. Glad I did too, because it has made me appreciate OFF more than ever. :P That's just a personal preference.

Hellshade

Now the only question for me is what OS to put it on. Id like to do windows 7 but I have had many issues with that versus my vista 64

Well I come from ROF to OFF.

In my case runs better in XP than in Win7 (some serious stuttering) while OFF runs better in Win7.

Maybe I'd needed to tweaked my machine for ROF, but I keep asking myself why should loose time on it, if I only play it once in a while. So I played it on XP.

I bought Wings of Prey (beta), and boy that's really astonishing, in terms of smoothness and visual quality. That's smoothest thing I have ever played in my rig.

But none give me the feel that OFF offers me. So... maybe I'm too much addicted to OFF to really appreciate any other simulator... or in fact any other game. I suppose there are some people here who understands my feeling.

EDIT:

I bought it even with the DRM. Glad I did too, because it has made me appreciate OFF more than ever. :P That's just a personal preference.

Hellshade

The same. :grin:

Edited by Von Paulus

That video was great. Wasn't that Anthony Hopkins?grin.gif I couldn't tell for sure becuz of the mustache. Since ROF is based on IL2's engine, if you haven't TrackIR, you pan with your mouse and not with the hat switch. That ties up both your hands. And can you call for help from your AI IL2 based wingmen like in OFF? Altho a plus for me is that IL2 1946 runs with higher settings and smoother on my older computer than OFF or CFS3 does. The screenies I've seen show great detail. As do the videos. The computer requirements for ROF are high end, too. If they drop the DRM and allow you to campaign offline, I would probably buy it.

That video was great. Wasn't that Anthony Hopkins?grin.gif I couldn't tell for sure becuz of the mustache.

No it wasn't. It was Bruno Ganz, one of the best actors in the world. This is "Der Untergang".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/

Although there is a movia called "The Bunker" with Anthony Hopkins impersonating Hitler.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082114/

Aha, that's the movie I was remembering. My bad. Left Germany 40 years ago after a 3 year tour and so wasn't listening or watching either much. I was too busy reading the subtitles.

So i have been toying with ROF for the last hour or so and while it is no substitute for the depth of OFF, it still is fun and for twenty bucks it is worth the download. Yea the DRM is annoying, and yes there is a huge limitation of planes, etc, but still if you are like me and cannot get enough of the WWI experience than its worth adding to you collection. Also, I am a huge graphics whore and the detail of the planes is fantastic and I am loving my eyefinity setup with this game!

With that said, I will revert back to my OFF loving cause this aint the place for ROF :drinks:

When they give it away free in a Cornflakes Box...I would still give it away

"Since ROF is based on IL2's engine"

Not so, I believe they dibbled with it, gave up and wrote their own instead.

I'm still not struck on ROF - I played the 72 hour download and was less than impressed by it. I'll wait until (a) it's a fiver in the shops, (b) doesn't have the intrusive DRM and online requirement, © has a reasonable selection of planes included in the price and (d) actually has a dynamic campaign that can rival OFF.

In other words, it's unlikely I'll be buying it.

I think I know what a DRM is in that you have to sign on to their web site to play the game, but what are the words behind the acronym? Do you have to stay signed on to play or is it just at the start?

Not that I'm thinking of buying it at all....

Sorry, but what's DRM?

Hemo

The great thing about OFF is that the whole of Europe is moving around...tanks, trucks, soldiers, etc.

Was just tweaking the new 195 drivers with nhancer, and wow OFF looks better than ever.

RoF is well worth the $20, if only for the amazing graphics in flight, as well as the stunning cockpits and skins....and mp (especially when they get the dogfight servers up). RoF is certainly a work in progress....and it has a ways to go, and it certainly can take a few tips from OFF on campaign and gameworld activity of the ai.

FWIK, the RoF DRM is basically that you are connected to the net all the while that you are flying. The game resides on your HD.

If their servers go down, you can't fly.

I've had this happen a couple of times.

However, as was stated above, they are developing (or considering) an offline mode, which would do away with the always connected thing.

The great thing about OFF is that the whole of Europe is moving around...tanks, trucks, soldiers, etc.

Was just tweaking the new 195 drivers with nhancer, and wow OFF looks better than ever.

RoF is well worth the $20, if only for the amazing graphics in flight, as well as the stunning cockpits and skins....and mp (especially when they get the dogfight servers up). RoF is certainly a work in progress....and it has a ways to go, and it certainly can take a few tips from OFF on campaign and gameworld activity of the ai.

FWIK, the RoF DRM is basically that you are connected to the net all the while that you are flying. The game resides on your HD.

If their servers go down, you can't fly.

I've had this happen a couple of times.

However, as was stated above, they are developing (or considering) an offline mode, which would do away with the always connected thing.

I completely agree with BOB on this one ROF is a good game and worth $20 bucks. Yea its not a complete game and does not have all of the options of a "full," game but a "full," game would cost $50.

OFF is amazing, in fact it is my favorite game of all time, but I would not go so far as to call it perfect, complete or the end all be all. I would love, love, love to see OFF have its own custom engine and offer better support for crossfire, sli and eyefinity for high end gaming.

Until then, I will support both developers until I get the simulation I want.:good:

I bought RoF and tried it for a while. I've even bought most of the planes. I can't say I regret the purchases, because I think supporting anything that increases interest in WWI flight sims is a good thing. While I support it in prinicple, though, I can't say as I've enjoyed it much in reality.

I didn't reinstall RoF when I switched from Vista to Win7 a month or so ago. OFF, on the other hand, has a snazzy new SSD all to itself. :)

I had, and continue to have, high hopes for RoF, and I appreciate what its developers are trying to do, but at its current level, I don't find it an enjoyable experience. I bought it thinking it was going to be a good multiplayer game, which is what they were saying before it was released. Well, it turns out the MP is lousy, with no dogfight servers. The single player is also severely limited.

Back when RoF was nearing release, my hope was that I'd have OFF for campaign mode, and RoF for quick online dogfighting against other humans. So far, the online aspect of RoF has greatly disappointed me.

That leaves as its assets some fairly impressive graphics, assuming your machine can run it okay. I've had great framerates right from the start, and other than the early issues with shimmer, haven't experienced the problems with stuttering and poor performance that some people report.

There's also the highly touted flight modelling. Supposedly, according to some real life pilots who've posted on various fora, ROF is the closest to real life feeling of flying they've had from a flight sim. Fair enough. I'll have to take their word for it. I'm not a pilot. Perhaps that's why I could never finish a mission without spinning into the ground.

You don't have to be a pilot to see the problems with the mismatch between the damage model and the flight model, though. Just watch for AI planes flying around with some or both of their wings missing. Then there was the Dolphin, which as released, shed its wings if you looked at it the wrong way. It would also frequently go into an unrecoverable spin for absolutely no reason. Supposedly they've fixed that. Maybe one day I'll reinstall the game and see. The AI pilots have no trouble flinging their planes all over the sky, so it must be possible.

I also wonder about the developers' sense of priorities. Longstanding issues which would seem easy to address are ignored, while things like river barges are added. Witness the flap in the forums about windsocks not working. How can you have supposedly super accurate flight modelling for the "real pilots" and dismiss the need to be able to gauge the wind?

One of the things that bothers me most is the ignorance or disregard of history on the part of the developers. This ranges from the performance of planes are inaccurate relative to each other, to little things like spelling the names of well known aces, including von Richtofen and Voss. To be fair, maybe that's a translation thing. I come at this, though, as a WWI history buff, rather than as a pilot, so I'd like there to be at least some reasonable effort made on the historical side.

There's been a lot of criticism levelled at RoF, most of it probably deserved. And there's been a lot of rabid fanboyism from its clutch of supporters. What there hasn't been, IMO, is deserved praise for the game. There are some elements in it that are truly impressive, and the developers are continuing to work on it. Most of all, it's helped to raise awareness of and interest in WWI flying games/sims. In the end, that can't help but be good for the genre. Hopefully those disenchanted by RoF will decide to come over and have a look at OFF, and they'll like what they see.

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to follow RoF on the forums. I may also buy one of their combo plane packs in the next few days to be supportive and to hopefully save a few bucks, looking ahead to when there are dogfight servers and the major issues in the game have been fixed.

In the meantime, I'll stick with OFF. :)

OFF, on the other hand, has a snazzy new SSD all to itself. :)

Did you see any improvements in OFF's performance with the SSD drive? I suppose you've tried previously with a SATA HD.

If it's not asking too much could you tell the brand of your SSD drive?

Thanks

Did you see any improvements in OFF's performance with the SSD drive? I suppose you've tried previously with a SATA HD.

If it's not asking too much could you tell the brand of your SSD drive?

Thanks

It's an OCZ Vertex 60 gig model. To be honest, I can't say as there have been huge improvements. To be fair, I previously had the game loaded on a WD Velociraptor, which is fairly fast for a mechanical drive.

Before, every now and then, I'd see a little stutter when a new chunk of terrain loaded, or possibly if some other part of Windows wanted to access the harddrive. That's gone now, as far as I can tell.

Load times are a bit faster, but because the game still has to access the CFS3 CD when you first start, there isn't as big of a change as I would have hoped. I was hoping for "Contact, Clear" and straight to the field, but sadly there's still a wait because of the CD. Still, once flying, the game is perfectly smooth for me now, so I can't complain.

Mostly, I bought the drive for something to play with, and because it was on sale at a decent discount before Christmas. My OFF was already running nice and smooth (Q9550, GTX285, 8GB RAM on Win7 64). The SSD helped by getting rid of the few remaining little random stutters I was getting, but it certainly wasn't a revolutionary change.

Ironically "that other WWI flight sim" would probably benefit from it more, because its load times are very long, even if you just want to replay a mission that's just ended because you've spun into the ground or the wings fell off your Dolphin again. If I end up reinstalling it, I'll see if there's room on the SSD.

Anyway, I wouldn't go rushing out to buy an SSD expecting big performance boosts. If you're into computer hardware, though, they've come down enough in price that they're worth getting just to play around with. Win7 is pretty much mandatory, though, for the TRIM support to keep the drives' performance up. Otherwise they slow down with time.

"Since ROF is based on IL2's engine"

Not so, I believe they dibbled with it, gave up and wrote their own instead.

You are right RoF has its own game engine, I think he is confused to the Canvas Knights a free WW1 ad-on game based on the IL2-1946 engine which is still a good game engine. All info on Canvas Knights ! 

It is still to released in summer2010 I think and the planes have a comic book look, more a less transformed RB3d planes, this ad-on could have a lot of potential to a higher level like OFF1 to OFF2 to OFF3, so who knows.