Sign in to follow this  
Davy TASB

That "other WW1 flight sim"

You have not played the product, thus you have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry, but that is just plain ignorant. I was on the fence, and had read all the negative stuff, even regretted the purchase as it was downloanding, then I was very happy to realize that it was an excellent game to experience. Don't talk until you try otherwise you may end up eating the wrong end of a goat!

I'm not entirely ignorant. No, I haven't played the game, but I've read, and still read, extensively at SimHQ. From that it's very clear to me that the game is still, effectively, a beta.

If there was no DRM and I spotted the game in the shop for the usual bargain-bin price at Game of £10 I'd probably grab it, just to experience the visuals first-hand. I wouldn't be expecting anything more of it than that though, at least not for another year or so.

I've bought only three flight-sims in my life that didn't end up collecting dust on a shelf within a couple of weeks/months...RB2, IL2 and OFF. I've bought everything that was on offer since SWotL in 1994. RoF is actually the first 'biggie' I've completely declined, to the point of not even being interested in trying the demo (that's mainly because of it being a time-limited, connect-to-a-server-to-play download). The entire gig in fact is one huge overhead for very little substance, in my opinion.

But that's all these posts in this thread are, people's personal opinions. I don't see any reason to be getting hot under the collar about it. :no:

actualy i'm pretty bored of the dejavu threads over and over again. all that conversations we had now at least 10 times now. somebody mentions RoF, and then it starts all over again with comparisons etc. boredom.gif . anyway

in fact the disappointment about RoF gave BHAH a sales boost. so everybody here already has profit because of it and that made creating p4 possible.

i'm also quite unimpressed about the scenerie. reminds me of teletubby land, but on the other hand some things rof has, were or are still missing in BHAH, so that's always a good possibility to check what's missing and what can be improved, and vice versa. that's evolution. probably because there are two sims, BHAH has improved in some things quicker, and maybe because there is BHAH, the RoF devs are trying to sort the bugs out to stay in the game.

i remember to have seen tracers in a RoF video almost a year ago and asked if it can be implemented. suddenly some people (me including) tried to create some tracers etc. and it was a success (prop wäsche made it happen if i remember correctly, sorry if i'm wrong).

wind buffeting was missing, a hughe realism factor wich RoF always had. now it's also in BHAH.

maybe in p4 there would be more bumpy fields and airfields, which RoF already has. dunno, all i can say is that it's good that there are two major WW1 sims to learn from each other.

reminds me a little bit about the quick improvements with aircrafts in WW1 because one side always had the upper hand for different reasons. Salute.gif

BTW, one of the things about how great OFF is, is the community.  I've learned so much here, and received very helpful assistance with all my questions.  Not many communities are mature and respectful like this one.

S!

Yep you are right about this, lot off good crowded forums were on-crowded because some trolls who can login on different names are provoking members, like what happened on RB3d Delphi or WoV forum and I think that is also going to be on Simhq. I made my complain to a SimHQ moderator and he wrote back that he had also problems with the persons behavior, but he had no plans to take any action on that, so here we go. 

OFF3 forum moderators thanks for your good work here and keep on going!!!!   :good:

Edited by Dutch_P47M

how does one get the demo? I'd like to try it and see if it does anything for me.

I've bought everything that was on offer since SWotL in 1994.

Well, I was ahead of somebody for a change. My first WWI flight"sim" was this one, way back in 1990:

Box_wings.jpg

Closely followed of course by this WWII gem:

1139708105-00.jpg

Not sure how either one of them would compare to Rise of Flight because I don't own it, and therefore my opinion would be worthless.....:rofl:

I do know I had a great deal of fun with both of them though.....

Cheers,

Parky

Well, I was ahead of somebody for a change. My first WWI flight"sim" was this one, way back in 1990:

Box_wings.jpg

1139708105-00.jpg

Not sure how either one of them would compare to Rise of Flight because I don't own it, and therefore my opinion would be worthless.....:rofl:

Cheers,

Parky

I believe the first 'sim' I ever played was a wire-frame F14 Tomcat on my brother's Amiga Commodore 500 in 1980. It mainly involved taking off from a carrier and trying to land back on it. We had a few hours of competitive fun, because back then it was state-of-the-art. But deary me, if I saw something like it now I'd give myself a hernia laughing.

I remember playing Aces Over Europe, and predicting how "one day these planes will look almost real...probably after I'm long dead and buried."

Yep you are right about this, lot off good crowded forums were on-crowded because some trolls who can login on different names are provoking members, like what happened on RB3d Delphi or WoV forum and I think that is also going to be on Simhq. I made my complain to a SimHQ moderator and he wrote back that he had also problems with the persons behavior, but he had no plans to take any action on that, so here we go.

OFF3 forum moderators thanks for your good work here and keep on going!!! good.gif

Thanks, and no problem. Like Shre, I'm watching this thread, but at this point, I don't see any reason to close these subjects anymore, as long as it's not bashing and calling out any other Dev team... or beating each other up. That's tasteless and has no home here.

@ Siggi.... Flight Simulator II, Jet, and F-15 Strike Eagle on C64... first go around for me.

OvS

Box_wings.jpg

1139708105-00.jpg

Not sure how either one of them would compare to Rise of Flight because I don't own it, and therefore my opinion would be worthless.....rofl.gif

Cheers,

Parky

that's exactly the sim wich infected me with the WW1 aviation virus good.gif .

would love to see the complete diary in the net somewhere.

"You do realize that you sound like the guy that refused to switch over to the automobile and stay with yer ol trusty buggy and whip! And yes you really should upgrade from those candles and use electricity, yea I know the light is not as calming but from a strict safety stand point you should really go with electricity over candle light. And also, plumbing, you should really let the outhouse go and modernize your home with a sewage link, while its true that you will have to pay for the service it just really is more sanitary so you should really go with that!

On a serious standpoint, ROF is not worth upgrading your rig over, that is an unfair pressure for any game. Your rig is worth upgrading for, ROF, WOP, (SOW in two weeks :lol:) and eyefinity which is simply amazing!"

I'm pretty sure that my previous post mentioned a lack of money with which to purchase and assemble a new rig.

If you happen to have about £700-800 lying around that you don't mind popping into my current account.... believe me I don't continue with my present gaming rig because I like AGP graphics cards...

Well, with the sheer enormity of OFF...the fact you can fly SO many aeroplanes, in SO many situations..I really cannot see why anyone would want to log onto a server in queerland or wherever, and fly 4 planes!...but hey!..thats just MHO :drinks:

Thanks, and no problem. Like Shre, I'm watching this thread, but at this point, I don't see any reason to close these subjects anymore, as long as it's not bashing and calling out any other Dev team... or beating each other up. That's tasteless and has no home here.

Yeah, woohoo keep up the good job moderators you're really on point.

Parky wrote:

Box_wings.jpg

My first WWI flight sim was more like this:

Lous_first_WWI_flight_sim.jpg

The distressed look is because young "bravez le aviateur" had just realized he wasn't wearing his flight extenders.

...hee hee hee...

Yeah, woohoo keep up the good job moderators you're really on point.

Is that a weak attempt at "veiled" sarcasm, or is it merely intended to be obnoxious?

If the latter is true, then you've succeeded with flying colours.

Well done...

Yep Davion...with 4 posts under your belt, you say it how it is m8! :rofl:

(although my use of the word 'queer' was not refering to anyones sexuality!...merely intended as the Older English version of the word, meaning...well...queer really

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Dear pilots,

I have read ever bodies post about ROF (or that other WW1 sim) many things have been said. I personally think and understand that “life is about presentation”.

appraiserfl: was only making a remark that BH&H will look better with a new graphics engine and that he still loves BH&H as the best WW1 game.

If OBD gives us BH&H with a brand new engine with limited graphics limitations NOBODY will say O’ no, please bring back CFS3 engine.

Ps. Only if the new engine is crap!

M

This is the best game I have ever played.

Is that a weak attempt at "veiled" sarcasm, or is it merely intended to be obnoxious?

If the latter is true, then you've succeeded with flying colours.

Well done...

I read it that way too Parky... 4 posts... nothing worth worrying about... not even an introduction.. shame.... uncleal loves newbies!

I don't have to show my 'badge and gun' yet. LOL!

OvS

Crazy world.

Queer for me means: Deviating from the expected or normal, odd, eccentric. Maybe because English is not my native language I didn't understand UK_Widowmaker in other way than that. Maybe we should ban some words from the English dictionary because a lot of folks feel offended by.

Maybe it's better to ban all the words so that there will be no risk to be misunderstood and hurt other peoples feelings. In the process let's burn some books also.

(sigh) Sign of the times....

I am offended by your last statement VP!

NOT! :biggrin:

People need to find a sense of humor and learn to lighten up, IMHO.

Frankie says "Relax".

Crazy world.

Queer for me means: Deviating from the expected or normal, odd, eccentric. Maybe because English is not my native language I didn't understand UK_Widowmaker in other way than that. Maybe we should ban some words from the English dictionary because a lot of folks feel offended by.

Maybe it's better to ban all the words so that there will be no risk to be misunderstood and hurt other peoples feelings. In the process let's burn some books also.

(sigh) Sign of the times....

No, instead lets consider that this is an international forum that is read by many different people from many different countries where certain words might hold varying connotations and might offend people. How is anyone suppose to know what he meant by 'queerland', considering his comment generally smacked of being snarky to begin with?

• Dislike 1

I think most of us do consider that this is an international forum and are quite careful about how we word things so as to avoid any mis-understandings caused by language differences. One of the best fourms I have seen in this regard, as a matter of fact.

Yeah, I was a wings pilot on my amiga 500,

BUT, BEFORE that (Does this make me the grandpa of all ww1 sim junkies?):

The original Red Baron game in the arcades....you actually sat in the booth, leaning back, as

stick planes came at you (ala battlezone style graphics). Great stuff!

and BEFORE THAT:

Richtofen's War (the Avalon Hill bookcase game). (wish I still had that game, just for the manuel that had such great detail on each plane and its strengths/weaknesses.)

if it wouldn't have cost several hundred dollars to upgrade my computer I would have gotten ROF already. pardon my geekiness here-- but for me this is like comparing Marvel comics to DC comics. they both have their strength and weaknesses. both companies specialize in different brands of super-heroes. I hope that "Rise of Flight" does well-- but it will be a few years before I can afford to spend money on it (by which time I'll probably need to replace my computer anyway.

the DRM doesn't even bother me too much (on principle, protecting intellectual property isn't a bad thing). the only thing that bothers me is the "you have to connect to the internet to play the game". I've never liked that concept. especially since there were huge spells where I had to visit a library to send/receive emails.

if "Rise of Flight were capable of being played offline I'd buy it now and just plan on playing it later when I can upgrade my computer. as it stands-- I'm not too anxious to 'step up' and make that happen!

$$$

try the game out. see how it works. I like OFF, but there are times where I still prefer to fly Red Baron 3d (patched up with the Western Front Patch) or even drag out the original Red Baron. (if I could play Flying Corps Gold I would-- but I can't get it to work on my machines, even with all the suggested work-arounds-- so that one's out to pasture)

on a side note, I liked OFF but had serious misgivings about it when Phase 1 first came out. if we'll be so kind as to allow the OFF team to keep developing a product why not given the same benefit of the doubt to Rise of Flight? look at us. most of us have already spent at least as much money on "Between Heaven and Hell" and "Hat in the Ring" that it would have cost to buy "Rise of Flight" out of the box... and we're already talking about "Phase 4"? I think we could afford to be a bit more charitable about the 'work in progress' that is ROF. besides which, they seem to have sacrificed aircraft for scenery... the cities, for example, look pretty good (great for pre-war, at any rate)

ah wings, one of my all time fav games on the old amiga.grin.gif i also jumped in and bought ROF due to its very low price. first impressions are that its very good at what it does although im currently havin some performance/crash issues that im tryin to iron out. to be be fair though, i had the same probs with OFF initially.

the campaign engine currenltly cant touch OFF but if any wings players here cast their minds back to that classic, it to didnt have a dynamic campaign it was very much a tightly scripted affair but still excellent. the career mode in ROF certainly isnt scripted from what ive seen in that the missions it throws up appear to be different everytime. the word over on their forums suggest that more work will be done with it which is good.

if ROF is supported with more updates and hopefully a much more immersive campaign mode then i predict that it might just surpass OFF within the next 12 months. that a BIG if though.

I agree wholeheartedly with the point that has been made here repeatedly: Any work being done to offer bigger and better WWI combat flight sims is a very good thing, regardless of who is doing that work.

HAHAH WINGS.. I still play that from time to time on the Amiga emulator..

I brought ROF last week..

Am I the only one who is slightly impressed??

I think it has potential if it is developed right.

I love the damadge modeling and dogfighting has that frustration feeling of fireing everything and still not hitting anything vital. Though its by no means in a "ready" state yet.

Cant turn by back on OFF anytime soon though as the campaign and attension details are just emmense