Baltika

Kamchatka Peninsula v 1.0

Kamchatka Peninsula v 1.0

Kamchatka Peninsula

Summer Terrain

v1.0

by Baltika

For Wings Over Europe October 2008 Patch

This is my first full-fledged terrain mod. It includes a base tileset by Deuces, together with Stary's forests and farms mod adapted for use on this terrain. I have also created a large number of additional transition tiles based on Deuce's tiles, which may be of interest to terrain builders.

The tile naming format is compatible with the stock GermanyCE tileset for ease of expansion, but be aware that the excellent hi-res and seasoned tilesets by Brain32 and Stary in particular will not have all the necessary transition tiles, so use them with caution. Should you wish to use the included transitioned tileset for your own terrain mods, copy all the terrain .bmp files and .tga files into the "Tileset" folder and convert the .tga tiles to .bmp format. See Gepard's excellent terrain tutorials in the KB at CA for more info.

All mission types are activated, for both red and blue side flyable. The Americans have their existing bases on the Aleutian Islands. I have handed the northern Kuril Islands to the Japanese for the sake of this scenario. Take it as read that the Soviets were sufficiently distracted by the ground war in central Europe that they lost their hold on the Kurils to Japan. Now, the Soviets are engaged in a fierce battle for control of the strategically important Kamchatka Peninsula.

This is a target-rich, fictionalised version of the Russian Far East. There are many installations and industrial zones in the Kamchatka Krai that you will not find in real life. Equally, as much real-life stuff as I could discover went into the mix. Also, this is intended as a showcase of a fully-transitioned tileset, so there is much more agriculture than you would get at these latitudes. Just kick back and enjoy the scenery.

Finally, there is a monstrous presence lurking at the heart of the Peninsula who has risen from aeons of deathless sleep to trouble the affairs of men once more. Bragging rights to the first person to take a recon photo of this horror and make it back to base alive, and with their sanity intact ;-)

INSTALLATION:-

Simply unzip and drop the "KAMCHATKA" folder into your Wings over Europe/Terrain folder.

It is highly recommended that you install the files listed below or you will not get the full intended Kamchatka Krai experience.

REQUIRED FILES:-

Groundobjects:-

CVN-75 by Digital Overload

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=9684

TAKR Orjol by Gepard

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=5497

TAKR Admiral Gorshkov by X-RAY

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=5830

UdaloyI by China Insky Team

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=10336

UdaloyII by China Insky Team

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=10330

BRDM_SA-9 by rebelryder

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=7740

SA-11 & SA-17 by 101tfs

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=7627

ScudLauncher & Missile by bigal1

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=6435

Soviet SAMs by gabilon

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=3057

INCLUDED FILES:-

Core tileset by Deuces. Additional transition tiles by Baltika.

Forests and Farms mod by Stary, extended to cover additional tiles.

Doppler Radar Dome by grumpapotamus

I have modded this as a terrain object rather than a separate ground object. The original readme file is included. Thanks grumpapotamus ;-)

WW2 Subpens from WW2 Europe Terrain by Edward et al, modded for Soviet use.

Thanks to the original creator.

Special thanks to Gepard for his TE tutorials, without which this mod would not exist.

Thanks also to The Wrench for leading the way in terrain target placement - the hard way!

As ever, feedback, comments, bug-reports and general griping are most welcome.

Tally-Ho!

Baltika

February 2010

• Like 1

Let me guess, there's a crashed Dalek spaceship there right??? :smile:

Not a bad guess, but no, something altogether more. . . gargantuan :yikes:

This guy?

godzilla.jpg

Oh, no. They say he's got to go, GO, GO, Godzilla!

:grin:

Close :good:

It was Kevin's suggestion about the Big G that got me thinking about how to get something like that in-game without making a 3-d model. I have been creative with terrain-tile .tga files. You can make them get really, really big :grin:

Godzeera!!!

Good thing I know KMD... I admit it does give me the heebie jeebies...

However on a reality note, for SF2 now I can actually have a use for the F-2 I got in my Aircraft listing... nice work! :good:

post-5735-1265340721486.jpg

Edited by EricJ

Big bragging rights to EricJ!

Now what the heck is that monstrosity?

I've never seen anything like it...

:blink:

"when the stars are right"....

seriously, that DO look like The Dreaming One ....

now, I've got to find my 2/D10s, and my damn character sheet, and make sanity roll..

right on dude!!

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

Good detective work there, Eric :good:

S!

And, yes Kevin, I remember the happy days of Chaosium roleplaying, "Call of Cthulhu," losing 1d20 investigators per round to this guy, and winding up insane in an asylum was a result!

Cheers all :drinks:

Thank you very much Baltika and the others for another fabulous terrain. In my perception the most impressive we've seen up to now. It REALLY feels like a mix between Canada and Norway and I could spend hours diving and turning through the valleys and around the mountains (except being bothered by all sorts of nasty Flankers

and Floggers)..... It's like playing golf: it's the game that matters but the scenery adds a lot !!!!!!!!!

Hou doe,

Derk drinks.gif

Well.. I've done two Recon missions and well... I've been bothered by Flankers and Floggers... So don't get too excited :smile:

And to be honest with you Baltika, I just looked up the name after seeing the image in the file... honestly one of the more imaginitive things on a map fo sho! :good:

Edited by EricJ

@ Derk

I'm glad you're enjoying it, thanks for the positive feedback, if you spot any problems, let me know, I'll fix them :salute:

(North Cape is coming, I am working on Norway Airfields right now :grin: )

@ Eric

Man, you found it, got the shot, kudos is yours :salute:

Like I said, Kevin sowed the seed. I just thought, I can't do 3DMAx, how do I get Cthulhu in game?

Sorted :drinks:

I will do Godzilla for Tokyo :grin:

Good thing I know KMD... I admit it does give me the heebie jeebies...

I say we take off and nuke it from orbit.................................................it's the only way to be sure. :salute:

nuking Cthulhu dosen't work .... he just comes back VERY angry, and now he's radioactive (covered in the game masters guide)

btw, we'd already tried that!!! :rofl:

wrench

kevin stein

Great terrain! Anyone know a work around for the fact that I have only the desert cat file to point to and as a consequence, I can only do air starts because I start stacked up on the runway facing off center to the runway. And BOOM goes the dynamite, my whole flight blows up.

Well, to not put too fine a point on it; No, you're screwed.

Not having the correct cat to reach-around to causes other problems as well. Unless you want to start editing the _targets and _types inis to convert over to desert naming conventions.

I'm sure you can pick up WoE on the cheap somewhere's (maybe even 3rd wire), as the GermanyCE.cat is used on many, MANY other terrains (btw, it works in SF2/V/E the same way).

wrench

kevin stein

Yes, Thirdwire have the 1st-gen WoE for $9.99 in their download store. Well worth the investment if you don't have the rig for the SF2 series. As Wrench says, to use the desert.cat only, you would need to convert the terrain_targets.ini and terrain_types.ini to use desert.cat equivalents for many, many items, not least the runways. It's a lot of work for minimal return.

EDIT: See my post below for details on how to convert the KAMCHATKA_TARGETS.INI file for use with the desert.CAT terrain file.

Cheers,

Baltika

Edited by Baltika

it's just one of the reasons I've always used the desert naming conventions for most of the terrain objects ... more folks would probably have the desert.cat in their game installs. AND the desert airfield inis are included in the Deset, Germany and Vietnam cats post-08 patch. And in the Isrealme cat, iirc.

However...

If one were to actually explore the layouts and physical look of the varying airfieleds, one would fine that runways 1-6 are all the same lods as used in ALL the games. Converting over to the desert_airfield**.ini is pretty simple; just compare the targets layouts for the various airfield from each of the cats the items are in more or less the same places.

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks for the heads up on that,FYI I have SF2E, and no, putting the gen 2 GermanyCE cat file in the Kamchatka folder in a gen 1 sim didn't work. Worth a try :grin:

Edited by ikon71

@Wrench, thanks for the tip. I'll bear it in mind for future terrain releases to ensure maximum compatability.

@ikon71, I'v looked at this issue again and deleted my earlier advice as it was overly complicated.

Open up the KAMCHATKA_TARGETS.INI file and look at the following entries for each airfield (there are 18 in Kamchatka terrain) :-

[TargetArea002]

Name=YELIZOVO-1

Position=506000.000000,478000.000000

Radius=8485.281250

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

Alignment=ENEMY

AirfieldDataFile=soviet_airbase3.ini <<<--- THIS IS IMPORTANT!

NumSquadrons=6

Target[001].Type=Runway4 <<<<---- THIS is ALSO IMPORTANT!

Target[001].Offset=0.00,0.00

Target[001].Heading=340

The desert cat file does not contain the soviet_airbaseX.ini or german_airbaseX.ini files, which is why your planes are piling up in the starting grid. AS Wrench says, the actual runway >LODs are the same in each game, and the airfield layout is roughly the same.

Open up the desert_targets.ini file in the desert terrain (you may need to extract this file) and look for the various "AirfieldDataFile=" entries.

These are called things like desert_airfield1.ini, desert_airfield2.ini, and so on up to desert_airfield6.ini.

As a very quick and dirty fix, go through the KAMCHATKA_TARGETS.INI file and change each of the AirfieldDataFile= entries to call out the desert airfield .ini file which matches the number of the runway called out for each airbase.

So, for YELIZOVO-1, your new entry should look like this:-

[TargetArea002]

Name=YELIZOVO-1

Position=506000.000000,478000.000000

Radius=8485.281250

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

Alignment=ENEMY

AirfieldDataFile=desert_airfield4.ini <<--- CHANGE THIS ENTRY AS SHOWN

NumSquadrons=6

Target[001].Type=Runway4 <<---- TO MATCH THIS NUMBER

Target[001].Offset=0.00,0.00

Target[001].Heading=340

Go through each of the runways in the Kamchatka_targets.ini file, making the same change for each runway type, and you should be good to go. There is no need to change anything in the KAMCHATKA_TYPES.INI file.

Any problems with this procedure, just give me a shout.

Cheers,

Baltika

Edited by Baltika

Better yet, here's the fix.

Unzip and drop the Kamchatka_Targets.ini file into your terrain\kamchatka folder, over-writing the old one. This will enable airfield take-offs for those who are not using the GermanyCE.CAT file, by activating desert_airfiledX.ini call-outs for each runway.

Use with Desert.CAT.rar

Cheers,

Baltika

Wow! Talk about great customer service :good: I found a way to get it working 5 mins before you posted the fix. Since I do have SF2E and a germanyce cat, I was able to extract the soviet and german airfield inis, open them with notepad and save them as ansi files. I then put them in the Kamchatka folder and still pointed to the desert cat in the ini.(Information I gleamed from your previous post). Ive since put those 8 airfield inis in the folders for Eritrea and Black Sea and it has fixed those too. Not quite Knowledge Base worthy info, but good to know. Thanks Baltika.