Sign in to follow this  
Bullethead

OT--Are Your Feet Cold?

This IS completely meaningless to all outside the US, and nearly meaningless to all outside Lousy Anna, but the New Orleans Saints just won the NFL Superbowl, the championship game of US football. In all their 43 years of existence, they've only had a winning record MAYBE a half-dozen times, and it was foretold by voodoo queen Marie Labeau that Hell would freeze over before they ever even got in the Superbowl, let alone won it.

Right now, I'm wearing 3 pairs of wool socks under my slippers, with my sweat pants overwrapping all. And my feet are STILL cold.

Right now, Bourbon Street is a madhouse and everybody in Lousy Anna who isn't there is passed out drunk on an elevated platform to keep off the cold, cold ground.

WHO DAT GON BEAT DEM SAINTS?!?!?!? (ask Olham for a translation) drinks.gifdrinks_drunk.gif:alcoholic:

post-45917-12655987947468.jpg

This IS completely meaningless to all outside the US, and nearly meaningless to all outside Lousy Anna, but the New Orleans Saints just won the NFL Superbowl, the championship game of US football. In all their 43 years of existence, they've only had a winning record MAYBE a half-dozen times, and it was foretold by voodoo queen Marie Labeau that Hell would freeze over before they ever even got in the Superbowl, let alone won it.

Right now, I'm wearing 3 pairs of wool socks under my slippers, with my sweat pants overwrapping all. And my feet are STILL cold.

Right now, Bourbon Street is a madhouse and everybody in Lousy Anna who isn't there is passed out drunk on an elevated platform to keep off the cold, cold ground.

WHO DAT GON BEAT DEM SAINTS?!?!?!? (ask Olham for a translation) drinks.gifdrinks_drunk.gifalcoholic.gif

rofl.gif Wow thats great. what Inning was it ? and was the bases loaded ?

...it was foretold by voodoo queen Marie Laveau that Hell would freeze over before they ever even got in the Superbowl, let alone won it...

Congrats to the Saints and all their fans. To paraphrase Bobby Bare, "Another Manning done gone." (all non-country music fans, please search 'Marie Laveau lyrics')

I am very happy that the Saints won, being loyal to the NFC all the way. But no way in hell froze over. Only the Minnesota Viqueens have the ability to do that if they would ever win it. After losing 4 Superbowls and 2 NFC champions that never got us to the 5th and 6th Superbowls, I am definitely happy for the Saints fans. ANd some say, "Well at least your team got to the Superbowl" or something to that affect. That is BS. when you have been embarrassed as bad as the Vikings have. In the end, the best team won. If Favre was only 26 years old again!

What Inning was it ?

New Orleans won by 14 wickets, not out. I think that's the correct translation drinks.gif

I've been a rabid American Football fan since 1986, when the "aints" fans used to wear paper bags over their heads. Whose laughing now? So happy for you BH, it's been a long road. Even as a die hard niners fan and ex division rival I've been pulling for Nawlins since Drew Brees arrived. One of the best QBs since Montana.

Hmmm. Can I invent teleportation fast enough to get to Bourbon Street.... :grin:

But no way in hell froze over. Only the Minnesota Viqueens have the ability to do that if they would ever win it. After losing 4 Superbowls and 2 NFC champions that never got us to the 5th and 6th Superbowls, I am definitely happy for the Saints fans.

Way back in my booze-addled brain, I seem to recall "Scramblin' Fran" winning one, but I could be halucinating. It's about time for them to kick in, after all. I've been drinking absinthe (for voodoo purposes only) since 1600 and the bottle's about dead.

ANd some say, "Well at least your team got to the Superbowl" or something to that affect. That is BS. when you have been embarrassed as bad as the Vikings have. In the end, the best team won. If Favre was only 26 years old again!

Well, at least you didn't lose 4 in a row like Buffalo and never been there before or since. THAT'S the definition of NOT QUITE. Pies Iesu domine, dona eis requiem pope.gif

The Viqueens really should have been de who dat beat dem Saints 2 weeks ago. They got 200+ more yards of offense, and despite all the turnovers were in position to win the game in regulation. But a 26-year old Favre would have thrown the game-losing intercetion long before the 40-year old version. What really killed them was the 12-men-in-the-huddle penalty (I can see this going right over the heads of all but googly bowlers) that forced the long-yardage intercepted throw that resulted in the game going to overtime. That was completely inexplicable from any rational POV, given the professionalism of the Vikes. But the coach and QB both said their radios went dead right then. Coincidence?

If you've followed the Saints, formerly known as the "Ain'ts", this season, then you've seen many examples of divine intervention in their favor. I doubt this was in any way due to their name, given the well-documented indifference from that religious direction for nearly 1/2 a century. This year, I think they had voodoo on their side. I'm right now wearing a T-shirt covered with voodoo gris-gris motifs wrapped around the Saints' logo, designed and autographed by Saint's linebacker Jonathan Vilma, who is a Haitian. He was selling these shirts to raise money for earthquake releif. It's the only thing keeping my toes moderately chilly right now Yahoo.gif

Edited by Bullethead

I've been a rabid American Football fan since 1986, when the "aints" fans used to wear paper bags over their heads.

That was our usual state for a couple generations. I remember I got season tickets in 1973 I think it was, because I could prove I'd been to the only 2 games they'd won the year before, and no others. That was back when they played outdoors in Tulane Stadium, which was torn down shortly thereafter and they built the Superdome. That's a venue that's hosted many a Superbowl, but not for the home team.

Whose laughing now? So happy for you BH, it's been a long road. Even as a die hard niners fan and ex division rival I've been pulling for Nawlins since Drew Brees arrived. One of the best QBs since Montana.

And a pretty good guy, too, even without the "original GI Joe" scar. Did you see that sport science show where he hit 10 out of 10 bullseyes at 20m with a football, easily beating olympic archers at the same range?

Hmmm. Can I invent teleportation fast enough to get to Bourbon Street.... grin.gif

Bourbon Street is in the heart of everybody. Never was any street in the world so aptly named. So just pour down 4-6 fingers of your favorite bourbon and you're there drinks.gif

I don't know...no one was as amazed as I was when the Buccaneers (being from Tampa Bay since the inception of the Bucs) not only made the Superbowl, but kicked the snot out of Oakland...

Congrats to the Saints...I suspect no Mardi Gras will have ever been as much of a party as New Orleans is having now...

FC

I don't know...no one was as amazed as I was when the Buccaneers (being from Tampa Bay since the inception of the Bucs) not only made the Superbowl, but kicked the snot out of Oakland...

A.k.a. "Chucky's Revenge". I grooved on that myself.

Congrats to the Saints...I suspect no Mardi Gras will have ever been as much of a party as New Orleans is having now...

You'd be surprised. Mardi Gras is 16 Feb this year so the Carnival is already going. You can bet that whatever happens in the next few days will be dwarfed by what debauchery goes on Tuesday after next.

Poor ole Archie Manning was being pulled in both directions on Sunday. His years as qb for the Saints so many years ago when they were lucky to win a game and having his son qb the other team. As a student at LSU i had the (dis) pleasure of seeing him qb Ole Miss vs LSU. We won the season game on the great Billy Cannon punt return. He led them to victory in the Sugar bowl in the old Tulane stadium. I think that was the 1958 season but the old brain doesn't work so good anymore. Some may not know it but Peyton Manning is a huge fan of the Saints. As a kid of the Saints qb way back then of course he would be. Archie loves The big Easy and South La. despite having played for Ole Miss.

Anyway, grats to the Saints ! Would love to be on Burbon street now. I mean a street where the girls stand on balconies and get topless can't be in a city with no character, can it ?

Edited by Ironhat

Must we get worried about VooDoo now, Bullethead?

Seems, hell did freeze over down there in your area, and now the Saints won the Superbowl?

If I remember right, their motto means, freely translated: "Who should that be, to beat the Saints?"

(more or less - the meaning counts; it's Patois-coloured).

Big congrat to New Orleans' football team!!!

Congrats to the Saints and their fans. I'm happy they won the Super Bowl because that means it's time for baseball. I look forward to a season of baseball and homebrewed beer. My Minnesota Twins will seeya at the World Series. :drinks:

We won the season game on the great Billy Cannon punt return.

Billy Cannon is one of my closest neighbors--he lives about 1 mile away. I see him around town fairly often, especially at the barber shop.

WHO DAT GON BEAT DEM SAINTS?!?!?!? (ask Olham for a translation) drinks.gifdrinks_drunk.gifalcoholic.gif

excellent

I was born in downtown New Orleans (many many years ago) and as a kid my step father worked at Tulane University. As a kid we parked cars in a lot next to our house in 1967 when the team entered the league and was playing in Tulane stadium. As a family we would live around the radio and TV whenever we could during the season. During the off season we would follow every move and trade. Needless to say for those that know, this day has been 42 years in the making. Despite the teams ups and downs, the "ain'ts" bag years, the annual hopes and dreams followed by frustration and emptiness, I, like many many others, have never faultered in my faith and support of the franchise. Unlike many teams they are the city. It is hard to describe just how engrained they are in the local culture but they are a part of the soul of the region. This season, this win, is more then just a title for a franchise. It is the continuation of the rebirth of a city following a tragedy, the rebirth of a community that has been on hard times, and an inspiration to the rest of the nation that there is hope and that with continued faith all things are possible.

So I say thank you to them for making a life long dream becoame a reality........ Geaux Saints!!!!!!

You can bet that whatever happens in the next few days will be dwarfed by what debauchery goes on Tuesday after next.

Oh the things I used to see in Jackson square, on Bourbon Street, and on Camp and Magazine Streets as a young kid! Debauchery is almost to mild a term.

Bullethead, your team's number 22 scoring could even be seen on our main evening news program,

although Germany doesn't know much about American football at all.

This must have been a big event for New Orleans and the whole region.

Edited by Olham

I was born in downtown New Orleans (many many years ago) and as a kid my step father worked at Tulane University. As a kid we parked cars in a lot next to our house in 1967 when the team entered the league and was playing in Tulane stadium.

I lived in New Orleans in the early 70s and went to just about every Saints game back then, in Tulane Stadium. That place was built pretty much entirely out of metal scaffolding poles with diamond plate loosely attached with bolts. When 30,000 or so people stamped their feet in unison on that, which they did most of the game, it threatened to collapse, but it make the loudest noise ever heard at any sporting even not involving race cars cool.gif. It also made it dangerous to go below for snacks or the bathroom because nuts and bolts were always shaking loose and dropping like bullets into the crowd below.

What I remember most about that place, however, was that it sold beer in glass bottles the 1st year or 2 I was there. Most fans would have a large pile of dead soldiers between their feet by the end of the 1st quarter, which from that point on became missiles whenever they didn't like a play or the officiating (which, given how bad the Saints were, happened frequently). As a result, we usually sat high up behind the end zone to avoid the barrage. I remember looking down the length of the stands and seeing hundreds of beer bottles twinkling in the sun as they rained down towards the field. Many didn't make it and instead smacked fans lower down the stands in the backs of their heads, or exploded when hitting the metal stands. Casualties were always heavy amongst spectators, but I remember one game where 3 referrees got nailed and had to be carted off. That was a famous day long-remembered--normally they only got 1 blink.gif .

So eventually, they switched from bottled beer to draft. Instead of carrying a case of bottles up and down the stands, the vendors instead had small kegs on their backs. This only lasted 1 year, though, IIRC. The problem was, the vendors couldn't resist the urge to pour themselves 4-5 free beers per trip. They'd get so plastered they'd eventually sit down in the aisles, take their kegs off, and pass them down the aisles, never to be seen again. If you were lucky, a vendor would collapse within a row or 2 of you. If you were REALLY lucky, he wouldn't have fallen down too many times beforehand, so his beer wouldn't be totally foam. Because otherwise, you weren't likely to get any beer because once this happened, the keg would never get refilled.

And this, my children, is why today sports fans all over the world have to sacrifice watching part of the game, go downstairs, and stand in long lines to go get their own Dixiecup of beer (slightly smaller AND more expensive every year), then spill 1/2 of it climbing back to their seats. It's all the fault of the New Orleans Saints drinks.gif .

Oh the things I used to see in Jackson square, on Bourbon Street, and on Camp and Magazine Streets as a young kid! Debauchery is almost to mild a term.

And all out in the open. There's none of that Las Vegas "what happens here stays here" crap. The true degenerates party in New Orleans and don't care if the world knows about it. The lack of that last inhibition ratchets the excesses up several more notches ok.gif .

This must have been a big event for New Orleans and the whole region.

I think it will be as they say of the 1960s: "It you remember the 60s, you weren't there." In the future, folks will be PRETTY SURE the Saints won, but there will always be some doubt and the whole month of February 2010 will be just a vague memory. I mean, this happened in the middle of Carnival, so everybody was already a week into a long bender and partying as hard as New Orleans normally does. Most folks don't remember normal Carnivals very well, and now they're partying even harder than usual. I'm wondering if they can keep it going for another week until Mardi Gras, or if they'll all have collapsed in exhaustion by then :alcoholic:

I lived in New Orleans in the early 70s and went to just about every Saints game back then, in Tulane Stadium. That place was built pretty much entirely out of metal scaffolding poles with diamond plate loosely attached with bolts. When 30,000 or so people stamped their feet in unison on that, which they did most of the game, it threatened to collapse, but it make the loudest noise ever heard at any sporting even not involving race cars cool.gif. It also made it dangerous to go below for snacks or the bathroom because nuts and bolts were always shaking loose and dropping like bullets into the crowd below.

What I remember most about that place, however, was that it sold beer in glass bottles the 1st year or 2 I was there. Most fans would have a large pile of dead soldiers between their feet by the end of the 1st quarter, which from that point on became missiles whenever they didn't like a play or the officiating (which, given how bad the Saints were, happened frequently). As a result, we usually sat high up behind the end zone to avoid the barrage. I remember looking down the length of the stands and seeing hundreds of beer bottles twinkling in the sun as they rained down towards the field. Many didn't make it and instead smacked fans lower down the stands in the backs of their heads, or exploded when hitting the metal stands. Casualties were always heavy amongst spectators, but I remember one game where 3 referrees got nailed and had to be carted off. That was a famous day long-remembered--normally they only got 1 blink.gif .

So eventually, they switched from bottled beer to draft. Instead of carrying a case of bottles up and down the stands, the vendors instead had small kegs on their backs. This only lasted 1 year, though, IIRC. The problem was, the vendors couldn't resist the urge to pour themselves 4-5 free beers per trip. They'd get so plastered they'd eventually sit down in the aisles, take their kegs off, and pass them down the aisles, never to be seen again. If you were lucky, a vendor would collapse within a row or 2 of you. If you were REALLY lucky, he wouldn't have fallen down too many times beforehand, so his beer wouldn't be totally foam. Because otherwise, you weren't likely to get any beer because once this happened, the keg would never get refilled.

And this, my children, is why today sports fans all over the world have to sacrifice watching part of the game, go downstairs, and stand in long lines to go get their own Dixiecup of beer (slightly smaller AND more expensive every year), then spill 1/2 of it climbing back to their seats. It's all the fault of the New Orleans Saints drinks.gif .

alcoholic.gif

Just had to send a copy of your post to a friend who is from New Iberia and attended the games as you did. He said you must have been sitting right next to him as you described it perfectly. He mentioned it would take him two days to get the rust color out of his hair. Not sure if that is from beer being spilled on him or from the rust coming down from the nuts and bolts that would fall and then create the dust of rust falling. That sure was a wild place

He mentioned it would take him two days to get the rust color out of his hair. Not sure if that is from beer being spilled on him or from the rust coming down from the nuts and bolts that would fall and then create the dust of rust falling. That sure was a wild place

Yeah, the whole underside of the seats and all the supporting poles were covered with rust, so the continual stamping going on above created a duststorm below. If you ever had to go down there, you never looked up or you'd get flecks of rust and broken glass in your eyes.