Sign in to follow this  
Von Paulus

Rudder pedals or joystick

Is there really significance difference to control the rudders by pedals instead using the twist joystick function?

It's a night and day difference?

Well, I think partially it depends on what you are used to.

But, for flight controls the less 'blending' you have to do yourself per control, the more precise you can be in each axis.

As an example, say you're trying to fly in a slip...so you have put the stick to the left, while twisting it to the right. Imagine how unnatural that would feel on your wrist, vs using a rudder pedal.

FC

As an example, say you're trying to fly in a slip...so you have put the stick to the left, while twisting it to the right. Imagine how unnatural that would feel on your wrist, vs using a rudder pedal.

Well I do it all the time. And sometimes it doesn't work "well". You're right.

VP, I went to pedals some time back after flying with the twist stick for years. I can not recommend the change highly enough. It has made this sim a whole new experience. The only other item that has a bigger impact is Track IR, IMHO.

I agree, TrackIR changed completely the sim experience.

Hmmmm. I see. I've to start smooth my wife.

Thanks RAF.

Edited by Von Paulus

drinks.gif Just my 2 cents, Makeing the flight sim more real set up a large fan so its faceing u and turn it on high

Wow but make sure the sound is turned up.rofl.gif Actually, my problem with pedals is that I couldnt find any thats wireless. Their is too much clutter about my flight desk

Rudder pedals and TrackIr are the best things that have ever happened to flight sims. Once you use either, you can't ever go back to being without them!

I can't speak to the twisty rudder as I bought pedals straight out

But I found the pedals very clumsy at 1st

Rudder movements were completely new and different

I started very mechanical, but now it's so natural I rarely realize my legas are moving

I highly recommend the peds

According to my wife, I already seem a loony while using TackIR.

Now moving the feet... ohhh boy! I'll suffer.

Thanks all.

I'm thinking Saitek, because it's cheaper than CH and I read some reviews saying that it wasn't bad.

Edited by Von Paulus

Yuppers, wives just don't quite understand it. Just as long as they tolerate it we're good to go. biggrin.gif

VP, I run the Saiteks and they are a super product at a very good price. I paid about $120 for my Pro Flight and they have worked flawlessly. Here is the website page for that product: Saitek Rudder Pedals

Cheers!

Lou

I am currently on my second set of rudder pedals, so I guess that answers the question. The first were game port (thrustmaster elite, I think) and second are Saitek. I prefer the Saitek. I did have a hotas stick that had a rudder pedal rocker on the throttle (I think an x45 has this also) and that worked almost as well as the "real" pedals.

By the way my wife bought the first set of pedals for me.....that was before I got the funny hat TrackIR.

Beard

Yuppers, wives just don't quite understand it. Just as long as they tolerate it we're good to go. biggrin.gif

VP, I run the Saiteks and they are a super product at a very good price. I paid about $120 for my Pro Flight and they have worked flawlessly. Here is the website page for that product: Saitek Rudder Pedals

Cheers!

Lou

I second that Paulo, I also have the Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, and whilst they aren't flawless, are pretty damn good. I suppose I should explain why they have "flaws". I purchased mine, and they worked perfectly, straight out of the box. The only problem I had was the tension adjusting control between the pedals. Try as I might, with all my strength, I couldn't budge it. I PM'd Lou and asked him if he had any trouble with that, but he hadn't. I also saw a YouTube review, and the reviewer moved it with ease with his fingertips.

Having said that, I was a bit annoyed, but the thought of the hassle I'd have to go through to get them replaced, and then I thought to myself that I was reasonably happy with them, and then I simply got used to them. I might be a bit "picky", because it doesn't take massive strength to move them, but the device IS faulty. I just got used to them, and now they seem second nature.

Paulo, remember that you have "toe brake" controls on your rudder pedals, and these are not used in OFF, and need to be disabled. There was a thread on this, I provided easy step-by-step instructions to disable the function. See if you can find that thread if you go ahead with the purchase (hope I didn't scare you off - they really ARE a good product, just that mine had a "minor fault".

Paulo, remember that you have "toe brake" controls on your rudder pedals, and these are not used in OFF, and need to be disabled. There was a thread on this, I provided easy step-by-step instructions to disable the function. See if you can find that thread if you go ahead with the purchase (hope I didn't scare you off - they really ARE a good product, just that mine had a "minor fault".

Good Poit!

Remember rudder peds will install just like a 2nd joystick

Your twisty rudder will need to be disabled

And the elevator and ailerons disabled on the peds

I think flying in OFF is particularly helped by rudder pedals as many of the planes are so responsive to big rudder inputs. I wouldn't go back to a twisty stick handle under any circumstances. And let's face it, how many of the prototypes had a twisty stick instead of rudder pedals? If you can afford some reasonable pedals, I'd do it.

I've had two pairs of CH pedals, one early gameport version and the other of the later USB type. Both still function perfectly, after many years and much, much use.

Now, reluctantly, I'm using the pedals which come with the G940. Comparatively, they're rubbish, spiking having set in after just two or three months. Cheap pots, no doubt.

CH stuff implies an extra coin or three. But I would advise that it's worth considering: CH products typically continue functioning after 10 years or more.

Still, even bad pedals are better than no pedals.

Cheers,

Greg

I second that Paulo, I also have the Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, and whilst they aren't flawless, are pretty damn good. I suppose I should explain why they have "flaws". I purchased mine, and they worked perfectly, straight out of the box. The only problem I had was the tension adjusting control between the pedals. Try as I might, with all my strength, I couldn't budge it. I PM'd Lou and asked him if he had any trouble with that, but he hadn't. I also saw a YouTube review, and the reviewer moved it with ease with his fingertips.

Having said that, I was a bit annoyed, but the thought of the hassle I'd have to go through to get them replaced, and then I thought to myself that I was reasonably happy with them, and then I simply got used to them. I might be a bit "picky", because it doesn't take massive strength to move them, but the device IS faulty. I just got used to them, and now they seem second nature.

I've already read more Saitek owners complaining about that problem of yours, Steve.

I'll have to light the candle for the same thing won't happen to me.

Thanks I'll look surely for that step by step. Thanks Steve.

Good Poit!

Remember rudder peds will install just like a 2nd joystick

Your twisty rudder will need to be disabled

And the elevator and ailerons disabled on the peds

Thaks Greg, for the warning, I didn't know about the ailerons and elevators part.

Much depends on the prices available to you in your country. Here in the USA, the Saiteks can be had at roughly the same price as the C&H version.

Uncleal, unfortunately it's more expansive in my country and I'd probably to import it from UK. But I'll check a little further.

CH stuff implies an extra coin or three. But I would advise that it's worth considering: CH products typically continue functioning after 10 years or more.

I too believe in old brands. And CH stands for quality and durability. But for the Saitek's I'll pay €120, and that's already too much. For the CH I'd have to pay with the ports more 30€. I'll have to check more carefully.

I'm already convinced Bigfish3.

Thanks all

Not being hardcore simmer, I could not justify the cost of pedals, however I have got by fairly well by using my cheapo thrustmaster steering wheel pedals in flight sims. Not exactly brilliant as they are obviously set quite high to simulate brake/accelerator, they are a definite step up compared to the twisty grip, especially when you just need a touch of correction - with the twisty I always ended up skewing all over the place, now I just dab down on the pedal and I'm lined up nicely.

I think its a case of coordination - when dabbing the pedals you don't need to think about it as it just seems natural, however using the twisty you really need to think about what you are doing and monitor how much input you are using hence your reaction times slow down and you end up over compensating. Least that's how it feels to me.

There's a recent, even-handed review of HOTAS systems here: http://simhq.com/_technology2/technology_094a.html

I've had both Thrustmaster and CH systems, and CH is worth every penny. I got tired of replacing my worn out Thrustmaster pots once a year. My current CH setup is still working perfectly after 6 years of heavy use. Can't imagine flying taildraggers without rudder pedals.

So waht will be the best combination of FFB joystick and rudder pedals?

Thanking you in advance.

Morris

So waht will be the best combination of FFB joystick and rudder pedals?

Morris, This has been handled in many previous threads

A good search should turn up a lot of info

IMHO there is no perfect stick

Just find a stick with the features that are most important to you