Sign in to follow this  
Gepard

Video sovjet F-5E Test

Found a video on YouTube about the soviet tests with a captured south vietnamese F-5E Tiger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGmBdqxrwbw

Unfortunatly only at russian language.

Does someone know something about the result of this test?

vietnam never had the E model, only the A/C, skoshi tiger.

Edited by Silverbolt

vietnam never had the E model, only the A/C, skoshi tiger.

You´re wrong. They got them after the withdrawal of US troops in 1973, they were the first combat user and it was the best fighter South Vietnam had. Were captured by the communist, employed i war by the VPAF and some were still flying not too long ago

Edited by macelena

Does someone know something about the result of this test?

Guess they had a great lot of wodka afterwards....blink.gif

Very interesting vid though !!!!!!

Hou doe,

Derk

From what little I can understand and I maybe (Most likely) wrong it seems as though in certain flight regime's the F-5 beats the Mig-21bis. The Soviets admitting to it...

Something similar did the USAF

And there many cases, mas and in several I apply inverse engineering to them

Edited by Sidevvinder

Not unlike Have Donut/Ferry/Drill/ Constant Peg. I'd suspect performance profiles were flown, and comparisons and exposures made against their own aircraft. This is only speculation, based on the fact that that's what we did with the MiG-17/-21/-23 between the '60's and '80's.

It is my understanding that the Soviets were shocked by the performance of the F-5E. It did to their MiG-21 what the MiG-21 did to the F-4. MiG-21 pilots were advised to keep their speed up and not to turn fight if faced with an F-5E. As lower speeds with combat flaps, the F-5E was flying rings around the MiG-21 in their tests. Aside from the lack of a bubble canopy, I think Chuck Yeager's belief in the F-20 was quite justified.

I got Yefim Gordon's big MiG-21 hardback (get it). He spends a few pages on this. F-5E was far better in every way, although maybe not theoretical top speed. Gotta love the double delta wing.

There is a picture of one -21F used for wingtip Atoll missile launchers to test the concept for the (much) larger Ye-152. It had a slight double delta, so there was somewhere to hang the rail. Similar, but less extreme, to the Chinese double delta MiG-21 version -- forgot what that's called now -- *edit* J-7E I think. MiG kinda failed to develop their design. Added alot of weight, and a little thrust. Fail. I think the Chinese did far better with it, of course far too late.

I always wondered if Su-7 if developed as much as the MiG-21 would have made a better tactical fighter, considering the swing wing series as an Su-7 development. Su-7 was originally created for this role.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

If i understand the vietnamese behavior correct (after the victory 1975)so their pilots loved the Tiger more than the MiG.

The cockpit was not as small, you had a better view and the Tiger was a nice pilots plane.

In contrary the MiG-21bis climed faster and accelerates better. What means that the MiG-21bis pilot had to choose the combat in the vertical while the Tiger pilot should go horizional.

If i'm correct.