• F-19 Stealth Fighter
    • Gunship 2000
    • Jane's Fighters
    • Flight of the Indruder
    • Fleet Defender
    • Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe

I see Janes is winning.

I've missed this one.

What was so special in this sim above all others?

What no Vote for Red Baron??? There´s hope for you maybe :lol:

I am gonna be a bit controversial here, and say Red Baron never grabbed me...sorry, but it didn't

Of Course OFF is the best ever! :grin:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I see Janes is winning.

I've missed this one.

What was so special in this sim above all others?

What was so special over 100 Flyable Aircraft... hundreds of missions an AI that made you work Carriers Harrier Carriers SAM´s hurt... Graphics for the time that where good... mission creator both quick and in depth it was stable... And it also had that something...

Oh and some great cheesy oneliners from your RIO...

He´s Going Vertical

Do some of that pilotsh!t... etc etc etc... :rofl:

And it was a great ball of fun... There is a whole lot more but I can´t remember now what it was...

Well, "Jane's Fighters" was never a game title. There were several games named similar to that, so I'm not sure which it refers to.

The first was Navy Fighters. Then came the add-on USMC Fighters. The 2nd full game was ATF I think, with NATO Fighters being the add-on...might have been the other way around, I don't remember. Those were all pre-Win95 versions of the game, ran in DOS. Then came USNF '97 which was a Win95-compatible remake of USNF with the addition of Vietnam, having F4s and MiG-21s. Later came Jane's Fighter Anthology, which was bascially USNF 97 with all the planes and theaters from the previous games added into it.

Then came Jane's Israeli Air Force, later USAF Fighters and WWII Fighters.

Chuck Yegar was the first flight combat flight sim I've ever played. I loved the challenge questions it asked prior to the program running. I know the graphics aren't all that but at the time they were awesome. I was much younger then so I thought the aspect that I could interact with things like the radar and engines was cool...however I could never get that darn P-51 off the ground and when I did I'd crash in like five seconds because I stalled out(I think I was like nine or something and didnt understand the principles or drag and flaps and all that) It was a great game too.

But my favoriate and to this day I can' t remember the name but it was an arcade machine that I only saw in one place my entire life(celebration station in Memphis) it was an attack helicopter simulation. You got to sit in the cockpit operate the pedals, the flight stick, and the...collective, collecter? (the freakin thing that helps the chopper go up and down as well and control speed) go got to use all of that...sad thing is though it that you had a third person view of the chopper you were flying(my memory is really hazy on that part) nevertheless that was the BEST flight sim I EVER played. When you got hit the seat would shake and pop.

Edited by Skyviper

Well, "Jane's Fighters" was never a game title. There were several games named similar to that, so I'm not sure which it refers to.

The first was Navy Fighters. Then came the add-on USMC Fighters. The 2nd full game was ATF I think, with NATO Fighters being the add-on...might have been the other way around, I don't remember. Those were all pre-Win95 versions of the game, ran in DOS. Then came USNF '97 which was a Win95-compatible remake of USNF with the addition of Vietnam, having F4s and MiG-21s. Later came Jane's Fighter Anthology, which was bascially USNF 97 with all the planes and theaters from the previous games added into it.

Then came Jane's Israeli Air Force, later USAF Fighters and WWII Fighters.

Didn't Jane do the Longbow too? As well as the attack Squadron?

I voted for PAW. Main reason was re-playability and first in my memory which had a real damage model of sorts. Graphics were good too.

Falcon

PS. It was a tough decision cuz I played most of the sims in the list.

Jane's Attack Squadron was an abomination that didn't deserve the name and was rightfully the final release. A real shame.

Don't forget the 688i and Fleet Command naval sims that SCS did for them before making their own Dangerous Waters...and then giving up the biz.

Jane's Attack Squadron was an abomination that didn't deserve the name and was rightfully the final release. A real shame.

Don't forget the 688i and Fleet Command naval sims that SCS did for them before making their own Dangerous Waters...and then giving up the biz.

Wholehearty agreed. The bombs were like mini nukes and the rockets had weird FM and over powerful. Don't get me started on B-17's cockpit. BLECH!

Falcon

What's so special about the Jane's Fighters series? Um everything. Jedi, you're forgetting the epic Fighters Anthology which had everything from USNF onwards in a single package. It took until SF2 with everything merged to match that level of epic simming again.

Other than that, CFS3...yeah, but it has a certain magic to it. Was my first sim in years after Fighters Anthology.

While I have played many of the other sims listed, Jane's Fighters Anthology is the only one I spent years playing and I even have it installed and running correctly in Win 7 64-bit. In many ways, the Strike Fighters series has striven to be an updated Fighters Anthology. But it lacks the mission editor, multiplayer support, and little details like being able to eject and parachute.

I've flown all of the sims on the list but push came to shove and I voted for F-19. It was the first sim that I really got into and spent ages on it, first on friend's PC (cyan sea et al!), and then later on my own Amiga and then PC. Truth be told, those first missions on my friend's computer were the best, and often lasted well over 1 1/2 hours (because the computer was just so damn slow!), threading your way between the threat circles of the SAM sites, dodging the IL-76 throwing AA-10 missiles at you and eventually tossing an FAE at the sub pens at Severdmorsk(sp?) but at least they gave you time to read a manual that was written like a Tom Clancy novel.

After F-19, and before the Strike Fighter's series, probably the most time I've spent has been on the Janes fighters series, although I did like EAW a lot but still can't get it to run on my current system.

What's so special about the Jane's Fighters series? Um everything. Jedi, you're forgetting the epic Fighters Anthology which had everything from USNF onwards in a single package. It took until SF2 with everything merged to match that level of epic simming again.

No I didn't.

Later came Jane's Fighter Anthology, which was bascially USNF 97 with all the planes and theaters from the previous games added into it.

Janes Fighter series.....

USAF was a good game, the first to really open my eyes to flight sims.

Fleet Defender for me; loved the control over the AWG-9.